Deck Watch Officer Examination Program
Education Services Officer
Deck Watch Officer International/Inland - Original (DWINTO)
- Initial DWO exam, required if member has not previously passed the DWO Exam or if it has been over five years since the date of the last examination with a passing score.
- This is a closed book exam, no reference material is authorized.
Deck Watch Officer International/Inland Renewal (DWINTR)
- Renewal DWO exam, eligible if member has previously passed an initial DWO exam or a renewal exam within the last five years.
- Test is open book. Examinee may use a like new, corrected-to-date, but otherwise unmarked copy of the Navigation Rules, International-Inland, COMDTINST M16672.2 (series) book. The book can not contain personalized tabs, indexes, or notes.
- If the member fails to successfully complete a renewal DWO exam within five years, they must revert back to the initial DWO exam (DWINTO).
Approved Rules of the Road Courses
- Members may receive credit for completion of the DWO exam by taking some Rules of the Road courses that contain Module Number 054XX (the last two may be any number).
- To get these results entered into DA for the member:
- Member should provide to the ESO a copy of the course completion certificate.
- Check the the National Maritime Center (NMC) listing of approved courses to ensure school/course is approved.
- Certificates should be scanned and attached to a TACCTS ticket to the CST Division. Use the description CERTIFICATE FOR DWO CREDIT ENTRY IN DA .
- Under no circumstances shall the SPO enter credit for the DWINTO into Direct Access.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 9/19/2013