American Council on Education (ACE) Credit and the Joint Services Transcript (JST)
- It is possible that Auxiliarists may have ACE credit for taking military courses and/or obtaining military rank (prior service) and may qualify for the Joint Services Transcript (JST). For example, any Auxiliarist, who has completed Auxiliary Leadership and Management (AUXLAMS) since 1 January 2012, is eligible for three (3) semester hours in Leadership in upper level at the undergraduate college. This credit is recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE) and is generally accepted by most military-friendly colleges. It is ACE credit that is listed on the Joint Services Transcript (JST). By checking the following source, members can see what courses have ACE credit.
- In addition, Auxiliarists who have taken courses through the active duty side of the house such as unclassified nonresident courses may have additional ACE credits. See the section on Taking CG courses and tests for more information. Auxiliarists desiring to have an official transcript (Joint Services Transcript) forwarded to a college should follow the instructions below. Most Auxiliarists must have their records built into the JST as their training records are not automatically transferred to the JST and most Auxiliary courses have not been reviewed by ACE. If the course has not been reviewed by ACE, it will not have ACE credit.
- Auxiliarists may also wish to have their official transcript (JST) sent to an employer as proof of continuing education. Since very few employers have a special account with JST, the Auxiliarists may request a Special Mail Request to have the transcript sent to their employers. Complete and forward a Special Mail Request (at the JST web page) to the CG Institute.
Transcript Request Steps
- If the Auxiliarist served in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corp, or Navy, the Auxiliarist most likely will have ACE credits and the ACE credits will be documented on the JST transcript. Go to the CG Institute website and click on the “Go to College” section. Follow the JST Log link to the Joint Services Transcript (JST) website to create an account. (If the JST comes up with the statement,” no record found”, a record will have to be built.) Complete form CGI-1562 Application for Correction Form (found in the “Go to College” section on the CG Institute web page). If military rate credits fail to appear on the JST, include copies of DD-214s along with the CGI-1562 so the Registrar’s Office can add the rate. (Note: Air Force Veterans should contact the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) to obtain their official transcript of their prior military credit. Very few Air Force courses have been reviewed by ACE. The link to CCAF is in the “Go to College” section on the CG Institute web page.)
- Provide completion certificates or letters for the courses you have taken. Provide copies of the course certificates (including AUXLAMS certificate) to CG Institute along with the CGI-1562 because the Registrar’s Office cannot build a record without documentation showing course completion.
- Provide information to build your JST record. In order to build your JST record, you must provide the following data along with the CGI-1562:
- Full SSN
- Date of Birth
- Auxiliary Enrollment date and EMPLID
- NOTE: The CG Institute cannot access Personally Identifiable Information through AUXDATA or AUXOFF.
- Protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII) information. It is very important to protect Personally Identifiable Information (PII). Select one of the following methods to send your data being aware of the risk involved with each one.
- Email the scanned documents (.pdf format is preferred) with the PII and use a password to protect them. Send the password via separate email or phone (405-954-0072) the CG Institute with the password. Inside the CG network, this process is fairly safe, but outside of the CG network, this method is riskier.
- Fax the documents (405-954-7249).and then call the CG Institute (405-954-0072) with the needed PII.
- Mail documentation with PII via USPS.
- Notification of JST. Once your JST record is built, you will be notified via email and further instructions will be sent on how to have your JST sent to your school of choice. Questions and Documents can be e-mailed to the CG Institute at CGI-PF-Ed_Advisor@uscg.mil
Taking CG courses and tests
- Auxiliary members may take unclassified courses and tests available from the CG Institute. See the EOCT course information page for a complete list.
- Course materials must be ordered through a CG ESO and can be shipped to your home address.
- Tests must be administered by a CG ESO.
- See your nearest CG unit to find the closest ESO.
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 6/29/2015