& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service
LIGHTSHIP WLV 613
Courtesy of Art Richmond.
YEAR BUILT: 1952
BUILT AT: Curtis Bay (MD)
BUILDER: USCG Yard
CONTRACT PRICE: $500 000
SISTER VESSELS: WLV 612
DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull and deckhouses: breakwater on foredeck; tripod foremast with large gallery; conventional mainmast; stack amidships
LENGTH: 128' 0" (loa); BEAM: 30' 0'; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 617 displ (lt)
PROPULSION: Detroit - Quad arrangement (same as 612)
ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 375mm electric lens lantern mounted above gallery on foremast; 15, 000cp each light
FOG SIGNAL: Twin F2T diaphones mounted aft of pilot house
CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS -- EQUIPMENT CHANGES &
-1952-Feb 4, keel laid; Aug 4, launched (sponsored by Miss Cynthia Foss); commissioned Sep 12. Designated WAL 613 when built; changed to WLV in 1965-Used all-welded steel construction; transverse bulkheads corned to weather deck level; hawsepipes carried to weather deck before leading to chain locker; alternating current electrical system throughout-
-1953-Large cylindrical lantern housing installed on tripod foremast with a duplex revolving high intensity light of British design. Optic consisted of two sets of four 18 inch parabolic mirrors revolving as a unit around two 1000 watt lamps. Focal plane 56 ft above water. Light intensity variable from 250,000 to 5 million cp in 3 steps. Backup 500mm electric lens lantern mounted atop lantern housing. Fitted with CR-103 radar-
-1976-Electronic Radio Beacon timer installed.
-1977-Old SPN-11X radar replaced with AN/SPS-57
-1982-RACON installed on lantern housing; backup lantern moved to mainmast; this was the only lightship equipped with RACON-
Radio/visual call sign NOJE (1952 1983)
1952-1967: Ambrose Channel (NY)
1967-1979: Relief (MA)***
1979-1983: Nantucket Shoals (MA)
(withdrawn from Ambrose station Aug 24, 1967, station discontinued)
***(designated Nantucket II in 1979; thereafter WLV 613 and WLV 612 alternated on the Nantucket station, relieving each other approximately every 21 days during the period 1975-1983)
-1952: Oct 3, placed on Ambrose Channel station,-
-1953: Apr, Conventional illuminating apparatus was removed and replaced with multi--catoptric biform optical apparatus as described under Construction Notes. The equipment was supplied by Chance Brothers Ltd of Birmingham, England, and provided a high-intensity triple flash rated at 5.5 million candlepower with intermediate adjustable ranges from 250,000 cp to the peak value.
-1976: During the 1976 Nor'easter, 120 knot winds and 50 foot seas caused the WLV-613 to drag its 7000 ob mushroom anchor twelve miles.
-1983: Dec 20, WLV 613 relieved WLV 612 at 0230 remaining on the Nantucket station until approximately 0800 when replaced by a LNB. Therefore, even though not completing a full duty tour, WLV 613 was the last U.S. lightship to mark the Nantucket Shoals station.
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1983; AGE: 31
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: After leaving station, participated in various law enforcement, security, and public relations missions; sold 7 July 1984 to New England Historic Seaport, for use as floating museum at Boston. Present at Statue of Liberty rededication ceremony 3/4 July 1986 New York Harbor. As of mid-2006 she was owned by Wareham Steamship Corporation and was berthed at Wareham, Massachusetts.
1952-1954: CWO Roy V Wood, CO
?-1950: WO Eric G Bragg, OIC
1965-1966: CWO J R Millard, CO
1967: CWO David N Russell, CO
?-1974, Albert Fearing, CO
1974-1976: CWO Robert C. Collins, CO
1976-1978: CWO Henry J. Styron, CO
1978-1980: N E Lemoine, CO
1980-1982: CWO J L Williams, CO
1982-1984: CWO L I Culley, CO
WLV-613 on station, 1963.
WLV-613 and the Ambrose Offshore Light Tower, 1967.