& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service
VESSEL DESIGNATION: WLV 189
YEAR BUILT: 1946
BUILT AT: Bay City (MI)
BUILDER: Defoe Shipbuilding Co
CONTRACT PRICE: ?
SISTER VESSELS: WLV 196
DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull and deckhouses; breakwater on foredeck; 2 masts, stack amidships
LENGTH: 128'0" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 11'0"; TONNAGE: 630 displ (apprx)
PROPULSION: Diesel - one GM 6-278A 6 cyl, clutch reversing; reduction gearing; closed system fresh water cooling; 500 SHP @ 250 RPM
ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 500mm electric lens lantern on foremast only; 15,000cp each light, 57 feet above water
FOG SIGNAL: Twin F2T diaphones aft of pilot house; hand operated bell
CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: WLV 189-
First of 6 lightships designed and built for USCG; originally designated
WAL 189 when built; changed to WLV in 1965-
First of only 6 all welded lightships ever constructed-
First of only 6 lightships ever designed and built with alternating current electrical system throughout-
High degree of watertight integrity maintained by transverse bulkheads carried to weather deck level; hawsepipes carried to weather deck before leading to chain locker-
Built specifically for Diamond Shoal station-
Launched Oct 16, 1946; commissioned Nov 1946, placed on station during 1947-
1966: High intensity light installed on mainmast, using 24 locomotive headlights headlights mounted in groups of 6 on each face of a 4-sided
revolving lamp housing; duplex lens lantern retained on foremast-
Radio/visual call sign NMJG (1946-1975)
STATION ASSIGNMENTS: WLV 189
1947-1966: Diamond Shoal (NC)
1966-1971: New Orleans (LA)
1971-1972: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)
1972-1975: Boston (MA)
HISTORICAL NOTES: WLV 189
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1975; AGE: 24
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned May 19, 1975 and laid up; a volunteer civilian crew of 12 Nantucket Islanders made the vessel ready for sea and delivered her from Boston to Atlantic City NJ Jul 14-19, 1975; struck by tanker en route; donated as training vessel; converted to museum 1980 at Atlantic City; scuttled as an artificial reef off Atlantic City in 1994.
4/1968-11/1969: CWO3 Pernell J. Perry, USCG
|Original photo caption; description; date; photo number & photographer (if known). Unless otherwise noted all photos are official U.S. Coast Guard photographs.|
|"Commodore & Mrs. J. A.
Hirshfield, Mrs. A. V. Prentis, James Hirshfield, Katherine Prentis
Hirshfield, Sponsor, LS-189."; 16 October 1946; Photo No. 859;
Defoe Shipbuilding Company photo.
Vice Commandant and World War II Coast Guard hero, Commodore James A. Hirshfield, attended the launching of LV-189. His daughter, holding the bouquet, christened the lightship.
|No caption/date/photo number;
The launching of LV-189 on 16 October 1946 at the Defoe Shipbuilding Company yard in Bay City, Michigan.
|"Diamond Shoal Lightship (WAL-189)."; 23 August 1962; Photo No. 08-23062 (03); photographer unknown.|
|No caption; 8 November 1965; Photo No. 110865-20; photographer unknown.|
|No caption/photo number; photographer
Photo of the decommissioned WLV-189, taken on 28 January 1994, just prior to her sinking off the coast of Atlantic City, New Jersey, as part of New Jersey's Artificial Reef Program.
Photo credit: New Jersey Division of Fish & Wildlife; Bureau of Marine Fisheries / Artificial Reef Program; through Martin Krzywicki of the U.S. Coast Guard Lightship Sailors Association.