U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 96/WAL 520


YEAR BUILT: 1914

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION: $75,000
(Approp. Mar 4, 1911)

CONTRACT PRICE: $71,292

SISTER VESSELS: LV 98 / WAL 521

DESIGN: Non-Propelling; steel whaleback hull; large diameter tubular lantern mast amidships; steel pilot/chart house forward

LENGTH: 10l'6" (loa); BEAM: 23'6"; DRAFT: 113"; TONNAGE: 170 displ, fresh water

PROPULSION: None provided, however was fitted with stern tube for future use

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Large cylindrical lantern housing with electric lamp and revolving parabolic reflector giving l000cp flash 42 ft above water

FOG SIGNAL: 6" air siren, submarine bell, hand operated bell; siren supplied by two 3 cylinder compressors driven by kerosene engines

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
When built, fitted with 2 kerosene engine generator sets and storage batteries-
1925: Equipped with radio, discontinued 1927-
1925: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1932: Radiobeacon synchronized with fog signal for distance finding-
1933: Submarine bell discontinued-
1936: Diesel engine installed, 175 IHP, speed approx 5 knots-
1936: Cylindrical lantern housing removed; duplex 375mm electric lens lantern installed in masthead gallery, 17,000 c.p. each-
1944: Repowered with Cooper-Bessemer diesel 31 SHP @ 800rpm, 5'6" dia 3-bladed propeller, max speed 10.2 knots; supplied with ABK radar, removed 1948-
1954: USCG lists vessel with air diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon); other characteristics as above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGN (1940-1954)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1914: Buffalo (NY)
1915-1920: Poe Reef (MI)
1921-1935: Lake Huron (MI)
1937-1954: Cross Rip (MA)

(1914: While awaiting assignment, was temporarily used to mark the Buffalo station following the sinking of LV 82 on Nov 10, 1913)
(1942-1945: During WWII, remained on Cross Rip station, no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES:
1914: Oct 23, delivered by contractor; temporarily marked Buffalo station-
1915: Apr 24, placed on Poe Reef (MI), southern entrance to Straights of Mackinac, Lake Huron; red hull lettered "POE" in white, showing flashing white light-
As with all Great Lakes lightships, vessel was withdrawn from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation usually Nov/Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed during the period the vessel was in winter quarters-
1934: Sep 20, low power proximity warning radiobeacon placed in service for test; providing a variable tone (warble) signal up to approximately 10 miles and operating 1 minute out of every 3 during the test. Vessels reported receiving the signal at 10-15 miles with noticeable increase in loudness as the lightship was approached

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1955; AGE: 41

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Jan 18, 1955; sold July 28, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICES: LV 96 / WAL 520

1914-1915: C J Navarre, Master
1915-1916: Conrad Christlansen, Master
1915-1916: William C Kane, Mate
1916-1911: Charles Bernier, Mate
1916-1921: Ernest LeBahn, Master
1921-?: Frank Leimbach, Master
1921-1925: Michael D Renehan, Mate
?-1939: Ernest L Snow, Master
1939-1945: George F Harrison, Master
1948-1951: CWO Edward Andreason, CO
1951-1953: BMC Frank Masaschi, OTC
1953-1954: BM1 John Milstead, OIC
1954: BMC Leo F. Gracie, OIC


 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012