U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 93/WAL 517


YEAR BUILT: 1908

BUILT AT: Quincy (MA)

BUILDER: Fore River Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $107,213

SISTER VESSELS: LV 90, 91, 92 (Built to same general plan as for LV 84-88)

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood deckhouses; 2 steel masts with wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'7"; TONNAGE: 685 displ; 478 gross

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 400 iHP; 2 Scotch boilers 10'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; propeller 8'0" dia; max speed 9.5 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead; focal plane 50' above water

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: 
1909: Submarine bell signal installed-
1920: Equipped with radio-
1924: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1930: Illuminating apparatus changed to 375mm electric lens lanterns, 13,OOOcp-
1935: Original main boilers replaced with Almy water-tube type-
1932: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie Typhon)-
1951: Retained original steam power plant until decommissioned-
Radio and visual call sign NMGL (1940-1951)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1909-1930: Swiftsure Bank (WA)
1930-1939: Umatilla Reef (WA)
1939-1951: Columbia River (OR)

(Swiftsure station established 1909 off entrance to Straight of Juan de Fuca, vessel painted yellow)
(1942-1945 during WWII remained assigned to Columbia River station; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES:
1908: Having been assigned duty on the West Coast, LV 03 in company with LV 88, LV 92 and 3 lighthouse tenders SEQUOIA, MANZANITA and KUKUI departed from New York in convoy and made the voyage to San Francisco in 124 days-
1923: Dec 30, during strong easterly gale increasing to Force 11, steamed ahead at mooring, shipping heavy cross seas on starboard side; stove in 2 ports, damaged engine room skylight and caused other damage to on deck gear-
1932: Dec 22, parted chain during severe storm and unable to regain station under power; ordered to Port Angeles Dec 23 for replacement chain and anchor; 2 attempts to regain station were unsuccessful due to heavy weather; took station Dec 26, suffering considerable damage in the process-
1938: Dec 2, during a severe storm with winds estimated at Force 12, and with engine running ahead, vessel shipped a heavy sea over the bow; two forward ports stove in, starboard hawsepipe plug stove in; galley smokestack sheared off, and as the sea moved aft, deck fittings and gear were broken and life raft stowed on radio house was carried away

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1951; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Apr 9, 1951; sold Nov 2, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 93 / WAL 517
?-1913: E H Lindman, Mate
1915-1919: Samuel Atkinson, Mate
1919-?: Samuel Atkinson, Master
1920-1921: Nils Kroger, Mate
1921-?: Robert Barber, Mate
1936-?: George H McNelley, Mate


 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012