U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 91/WAL 515

A photo of LV 91


YEAR BUILT: 1908

BUILT AT: Quincy (MA)

BUILDER: Fore River Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $107,213

SISTER VESSELS: LV 90,92,93 (Same general plan as LV 84-88)

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood deckhouses; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'7"; TONNAGE: 685 displ, 478 gross

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 400 IHP; 2 Scotch boilers l0'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; propeller 80" dia, design max speed 10 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead; focal plane 50 feet above water

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
1908: Submarine bell signal installed-
1915: Illuminating apparatus converted to acetylene operation-
1919: Equipped with radio-
1924: 375mm electric lens lanterns installed at both mastheads-
1927: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1932: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon)-
1934: Fog signal changed to air diaphone-
1945: Pitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NNGV (1940-1961)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1908: Relief (4th district)
1908-1934: Winter Quarter Shoal (VA)
1934-1942: Relief (5th district)
1942-1945: WWII duty, see note
1945-1961: Relief (5th district)

(1908: assigned to Relief duty briefly before being place on Winter Quarter)
(During WWII, 1942-1943, assigned to CG Hq, stationed at Curtis Bay (MD) and used for training; 1943-1945 assigned to 7th district HQ, stationed at Key West (FL) and used as examination vessel; armed with two 20mm's on bridge wings and one 3" gun mounted aft)

HISTORICAL NOTES:
1908: Assigned Relief duty prior to being placed on Winter Quarter-
1915: Jun 12, during severe coastal storm, parted mooring losing anchor and 90 fathoms chain, remained on station using harbor anchor-
1920: Feb 5, parted chain, returned to Portsmouth VA for new moorings and coal; resumed station Feb 9-
1922: Jan 8, parted chain in heavy gale; seas breaking completely over the ship, unable to make headway; carried 135 mi south of station; returned to station; Feb 1; tender waiting at station with replacement chain and anchor-
1927: Mar 2, in severely northerly storm, parted chain and headed offshore under power until weather moderated; returned to station Mar 4-
1930: Jun, radiobeacon sequenced with Five Fathom and Overfalls lightships

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1961; AGE: 53

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 30, 1961; sold Mar 11, 1963

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 91 / WAL 515
1908-1915: James S Mason, Master
1908-1913: Anelius Anderson, Mate
1913: Charles Pertner, Mate
1913-1922: Thomas Simmons, Mate
1915-1919: John Hanson, Master
1913-1917: William Harvey, Mate
1917: Valin G. Best, Mate (temp)
1917-1920: William H. Harvey, Mate
1919: Benjamin L. Harris, Master (additional master)
1920: Elijah Brasure, Mate
1922- 1929: Thomas Simmons, Master
1929-?: Robert A Dixon, Master


PHOTOGRAPHS:

Click here to view a photo of the LV-91.

Click here to view a 1908 photo of the LV-91.


 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012