U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 9


YEAR BUILT: 1857

BUILT AT: Philadelphia Navy Yard

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: same

CONTRACT PRICE: $19,883

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- oak, yellow pine and locust; fastened with iron and treenails

LENGTH: 81'2" (lbp), BEAM: 28'2" DRAFT: 9'6", TONNAGE: 181 gross (shows 104 after 1912)

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Two lanterns - each with 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 1000-lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES -MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1867: Recaulked, refitted-
1882: Rebuilt, resalted-
1901: Rebuilt-
1901: Daymark added to Jackstay between masts, later removed-
1910: Fog signal changed to 8" air whistle-
1912: Gross tonnage listed as 104 19121925-
1916: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1923: Fog signal changed to 10" air whistle

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1858-1862: Relief (4th District)
1862-1915: Relief (2d District)
1915-1925: Hedge Fence (MA)
(Records show this vessel designated as Relief continuously from 1858-1915)

(Temporary station duty as Relief lightship during the following periods:
1890, Oct 10-1891, Jul 28, Great Round Shoal (MA) - station established but new vessel not completed and available until 1891-
1892,  Jun 14-Nov 13, Nantucket New South Shoal (MA) - Relieved LV 1 for refit and transfer, and until new LV 54 ready to go on station-
1895: Jul-Dec, Winter Quarter Shoal (VA) - relieved LV 45 to allow replacement of inoperable fog signal machinery)
(Prior to 1867 when No. 9 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as 'the Relief Vessel")


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1858: Kept at Wilmington (NC) to relieve Five Fathom Bank. This vessel was used as Relief until Apr 1862; remaining unnumbered until 1867-
1861: Lighthouse Board directed vessel be prepared for transfer to 2d District; offer obtained for tow to New Bedford (MA) $700-
1862: Instructions from Lighthouse Board to pay off master and crew upon arrival at Woods Hole (MA), and that "some competent, careful and honest" man be placed in charge "he to give receipts and account for all articles on board and to remain on the vessel at all times and at each station"-
1862: Apr 4, arrived at Woods Hole (MA)-
1867: Lighthouse Board directed 2d District to number all light vessels consecutively from East to West; number to be painted in large figures on the stern; and numbers to remain permanent regardless of station occupied. Number 9 was specifically assigned to this Relief vessel on Oct 18, 1867-
1895: Jan 6, towed to 4th District, temporary duty on Winter Quarter Shoal (VA); towed back to NY Oct 18; thence to 2d District, relieving Cross Rip Dec 20-
1899: While relieving Shovelful Shoal (MA), rammed by passing schooner-
Continued to perform routine relief duty until 1915 relieving lightships at Boston, Pollock Rip, Pollock Rip Shoal, Shovelful, Handkerchief, Great Round,

More notes: LV 9

Cross Rip, Vineyard Sound, and Nantucket Shoals-
1915 Placed on Hedge Fence (MA), the first station assignment for this vessel, serving there until 1925

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1925 AGE: 58

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Condemned and sold 1925; said to have been used later as gasoline barge in Boston Harbor


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1897-?: Jacob C Flinkfelt, Master
1905-?: James Jorgensen appointed "ship keeper" for the vessel during the times she was docked at Woods Hole between Relief assignments.  Capt. Jorgensen was also detailed to "care for the Beacons in Woods Hole Passage."
1915-1918: Simeon C Studley Jr, Master
1915-1917: Walter D Chase, Mate
1917-?: Albert R Wixon, Mate
1918-1925: J B Frizzell, Master


A photo of the LV 9 at sea

No caption/date/photo number listed.
"Photo by George T. Murray, Boston."


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 7/9/2012