U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 85 / WAL 510


YEAR BUILT: 1907

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

CONTRACT PRICE: $99,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 84, 86, 87, 88

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilot house and deckhouses; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 683 displacement

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 325 IHP; 2 boilers 9'3" dia x 16'4" long; propeller 7'9" dia; design max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 electric lens lanterns at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
1907: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1907: Fitted with special submersible mooring buoy (See LV 69 for earlier use)-
1911: Equipped with radio-
1916: Submarine oscillator installed; first US lightship so equipped-
192?: Single 375mm electric lens lantern installed at each masthead-
1923: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1930: Steam siren added; 12" whistle retained-
193?: Original boilers replaced with Almy water-tube boilers-
1932: Submarine oscillator discontinued-
1943: Fitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NNGU (1940-1962)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1907-1923: Nantucket Shoals (MA)
1923-1942: Relief (MA)
1942-1944: Examination Vessel, WWII
1944-1951: Relief (MA)
1951-1962: Boston (MA)
(1942-1944: In May/Jun 1942 escorted freighter convoy from Boston to Norfolk VA; then assigned to 5th district, based at Norfolk and used as examination vessel; armed with one 6-pounder)
(Official records indicate vessel remained assigned to 1st District during WWII, however former crewmember confirms that vessel was based at Norfolk and used off Cape Henry as examination vessel)


HISTORICAL NOTES:
1912: Parted chain in gale; proceeded to Vineyard Haven, then picked up by tender, supplied with new anchor and chain and replaced on station. The Master was cautioned of the need to remain on station, it being considered that the vessel should have remained on station using spare head gear, and reported by radio the need for replacement anchor.-
1914: Dec 6, parted chain and drifted 40 mi WNW of station; letting go harbor anchor until wind abated, then proceeded to Woods Hole for replacement anchor and chain; returned to station Dec 11-
1916: Apr 14, CO of USS DUBUQUE reported sighting the light when 23 miles distant from the lightship under normal weather conditions-
1916: Submarine oscillator installed; first US lightship so equipped. This represented a new and improved method of underwater signaling, however it required specialized receiving equipment and for that reason, the system never found widespread use-
1916: Dec 22, blown 20 mi east of station in 80 mph winds; unable to make headway toward station so returned via Pollock Rip Slue and Nantucket Sound to New Bedford. Replaced anchor and chain; returned to station Dec 26

More notes: LV 85 / WAL 510-
1917:Meteorological equipment supplied by arrangement with USN and Weather Bureau for recording and reporting weather observations twice daily by radio-
1933: When preparing to leave station after relieving Pollock Rip, an overhand knot was discovered in the anchor chain 13 fathoms from the anchor; anchor and chain had to be hoisted aboard a tender and "untied"

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1962; AGE: 55

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 15, 1962; sold Oct 17, 1963 Listed in Merchant Vessels of the US 1970 as owned by Oceanology International, named RECOVERER, homeported Chicago IL


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 85 / WAL 510

1907-1913:   Frank Doane, Master
1907-1915:   Walter H. Warnock, Mate
1915-1916:   Arthur S. Berry, 1st Mate
1916-1918:   Lars O. Johnson, 1st Mate
1918:             William Kelley, 1st Mate
1918-1919:   Alfred Johnson, 1st Mate
1919:             William D. Poor, 1st Mate
1919-1920:    Robert Boman, 1st Mate
1920-1923:    George Harding, 1st Mate
1913-1923:    David B. Studley, Master
1923-1925:    George N. Harding, Master
1923-1924:    Walter B. Werner, Mate
1924-1928:     Roger W. Sears, Mate
1928-?:           Lewis E. Woodaman, Mate
1925-1928:    Walter H. Warnock, Master
1937-1939:     Norman Gray, Mate
1939-?:           Augustave LeBlanc, Mate
1942-1943:    CWO Timothy A Hurley, CO
1950-1951:    BMC Percy Mayo, OIC
1952-1953:    WO Floyd O. Reams, OIC; ENC Stanley W. Pridham, EPO
1953-?:           CWO Floyd O. Reams, CO

1958-1960:     CWO Charles Ira Carpenter


 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012