& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service
VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 82
YEAR BUILT: 1912
BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)
BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co
(Appropriations Mar 3, 1903 and May 14, 1908)
CONTRACT PRICE: $42,910
SISTER VESSELS: None
DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull with whaleback forecastle deck; single lantern mast forward, short jigger mast aft; daymark on main; stack amidships
LENGTH: 95'2"(loa); BEAM: 21'0"; DRAFT: 7'6"; TONNAGE: 187 displ, fresh water (Records also show draft as 8'l0" and 10' and show displacement as 209 in 1915)
PROPULSION: Steam - one 90 IHP reciprocating engine; main boiler 14' dia, 120 psi; cast iron propeller 5' dia x 7'2" pitch
ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of three 200mm oil lens lanterns on sleeve, hoisted to masthead; each lamp rated l70cp
FOG SIGNAL: 10" steam whistle; submarine bell, hand operated bell
CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES &
1915: Illuminating apparatus converted to acetylene-
1931: Submarine bell discontinued
1912-1913: Buffalo (NY)
(1914-1915: In process of being located, raised and repaired after having sunk during a hurricane on Nov 10, 1913)
1916: Relief (laid up)
1917-1925: Relief (10th District)
1926-1936: Eleven Foot Shoal (MI)
(Eleven Foot Shoal station discontinued in 1936; replaced by Eleven Foot Shoal Lighthouse)
1912: Jul 12, delivered-
1912: Aug 3, placed on Buffalo (NY), 13 miles off entrance to Buffalo Harbor "temporarily to mark approaches to Buffalo pending construction of LV 96"-
1913: Nov 10, sunk during gale with loss of all 6 personnel aboard; (station temporarily marked by LV 96 during 1914 then LV 98 assigned in 1915); those lost were: Hugh M. Williams, Master; Andrew Leahy, Mate; Charles W. Butler, Engineer; Cornelius Leahy, Assistant Engineer; William Jensen, Seaman; and Peter Mackey, Cook.
1914: May 9, wreck located 1-7/8 mi NNE from station in 63 feet; diver reported hull intact but interior wrecked, and no bodies found. Contract let for salvage.-
1914: Oct, new contract ($19,500) awarded for raising vessel since former contractor had failed to perform-
1914: Oct 29, body of C.W. Butler, Engineer was recovered in Niagara River, at Buffalo, nearly 13 miles from where the lightship went down-
1915: Sep 16, vessel raised by means of pontoons; repaired and returned to service-
1920: Assigned to Relief duty until 1925, then laid up in 1926 at Detroit-
1926: Placed on Eleven Foot Shoal (MI) until station discontinued in 1936-
1936: Transferred to 2d District Hq, Chelsea MA
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1936; AGE: 24
SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 1936 Jul, acquired by Boston VFW, USS CONSTITUTION Post for use as floating HQ in the Fort Point Channel, South Boston. Said to have been scrapped in 1942; also said to have been sunk by vandals in 1945
COMMANDING OFFICERS (AND CREW WHERE KNOWN): LV 82
1912-1913: Hugh M Williams, Master; Andrew Leahy, Mate; Charles W.
Butler, Engineer; Cornelius Leahy, Assistant Engineer; William Jensen,
Seaman; and Peter Mackey, Cook (all lost in sinking Nov 10, 1913).
1916-?: Conrad Christiansen, Master
1916-1917: Thorwald Berntsen, Mate (1916-1917)
1917-1919: Richard Tobin, Mate
1922-?: Edwin J Wilkinson, Mate
No original caption/date/photo number; photographer unknown.
LV-82 after being raised off Buffalo, circa 1915.
Scan courtesy of Art Richmond.