U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 7


YEAR BUILT: 1854

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

APPROPRIATION: $22000 (Approp. for lightship for Minots Ledge (MA))

CONTRACT PRICE: $18,304

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- live oak and hard pine; copper and iron fastened; 2 masts with oval daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 98'S" (lbp)

BEAM: 22'S" DRAFT: 100" TONNAGE: 142 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns each having 8 oil lamps w/12" reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 500-lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1854: Oct 16 Notice to Mariners initially painted cream color w/black letters, mastheads white w/red daymarks, shows 2 lights 416" above sea level-
Extensive repairs 1866, 1871, 1874-
1866 & 1869: hauled both years for repair of rot involving hull and spars-
1879/80: "now at Gildersleeve & Sons shipyard (CT), slow progress on repairs"-
1894, Aug 7-31: withdrawn for installation of experimental telephone equipment. Telephone cable installed from Sandy Hook to within "a few hundred feet of the lightship mooring", Feb 23. Experiments with signaling and alarm devices continued until July 31, 1895 and "were then suspended". No indication that this system was ever put to any operational use.-
Repair of leaks 1896 Aug 16-Nov 30; and again 1899 Aug 23-Oct 19-
1905: Jul 15-Sep 30, collision damage repaired at Portsmouth (VA)-
1906: Sep 9, taken to Baltimore (MD) for "extensive repairs"

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1854-1860: Minots Ledge (MA)
1861-1875: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1875-1876: Relief (MA)
1876-1881: Relief (Third District)
1881-1902: Wreck of Scotland/Scotland (NJ)
1902-1904: Relief (NY)
1904-1909: Relief (Fifth District)

(1877-1881 In shipyard undergoing repairs during most of this period)
(1891 May 15, station moved 1/2 mi NE 3/4 N and renamed Scotland)
(Official records identify this vessel as "Minots Ledge Light Vessel" until 1861. When placed on Vineyard Sound in 1861, vessel was designated "Lightship 7" and this number remained assigned thereafter)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

(When Minots Ledge Light iron skeleton tower was destroyed in 1851, a lightship station was established in the vicinity. Lightship "N" manned the station from 1851-1854 then replaced by LV 7)-
1854: Nov 3, placed on Minots Ledge station, replacing of lightship "N"-
1860: Nov 15, withdrawn when new (present) granite lighthouse activated-
1861: Feb 27, Placed on Vineyard Sound (MA)-
1866: Jun 18, driven from station, proceeded to New Bedford-
1866: Aug 28, fouled by lumber schooner; lightship severely damaged-
1866: Dec, Dragged off station in gale-
1874: Carried off station by moving ice once during winter-
1875: Oct 30, parted chain, arrived at New Bedford next day; held for repair and assigned as Relief (MA) (Replaced on station Nov 16 by LV 39)-
1867: Transferred to 3d District as Relief; relieved Five Fathom Bank (NJ), then brought in for overhaul-
1877: "Is now at Staten Island as Relief; "in poor condition due to extensive rot"; repair costs estimated at $18,000-
1879/1880: Under repair; "progress slower than anticipated"-
1881: Placed on Wreck of Scotland (NJ) replacing LV 20

More notes:

1887: Mar, parted chain and adrift; returned to station next day-
1892: Dec 29, in collision with Italian bark CHIARINA being towed-
1894: Feb 23 -Jul 31, 1895, experiments conducted with telephone cable installed between Sandy Hook and the lightship. (see Construction Notes)-
1900: In collision with British schooner GOLDSEEKER-
1902: "Now shows 2 fixed red lights"-
1904: Oct 23, transferred to 5th District and assigned as Relief (VA)-
1905: In collision with tug EDGAR F CONEY- 
Remained in Relief status until retired

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1909 AGE: 55

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold May 29, 1909 - $155


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

During the period 1854-1860
Capt Henry Studley, Cohasset (MA)
Capt Joseph Battles, Cohasset (MA)
Capt John Litchfield, Scituate (MA)

1892-1896: Nelson J Huntley, Master
1896-1902: Henry Harrison, Master


A photo of the LV 7

"SCOTLAND LIGHT-VESSEL, NO. 7, OFF THE ENTRANCE TO NEW YORK BAY."  Scanned from the 1901 Light List, Plate XVIII.  Photo by N. L. Stebbins, 1895.

Office of the Lighthouse Board. List of Lights and Fog Signals on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States. Corrected to June 30, 1901. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1901. 


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 2/29/2012