U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 6

Light Ship Number 6 on station, no date.


YEAR BUILT: 1855

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

CONTRACT PRICE: ?

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Oak framed and planked, bowsprit, 2 masts, single daymark at main masthead

LENGTH: 80'0" (lbp)

BEAM: 24'

DRAFT: l0'6" TONNAGE: 140 gross (listed 120 after 1914)

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on main - 8 oil lamps w/reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1871,72: Extensive repairs $4707.63, daymark added on foremast; removed 1882-
1885: Beached, for repair of bottom sheathing-
1887: Recaulked and recoppered-
1893: Repairs to stem and copper sheathing due to ice damage-
1898: Rerigged with steel shrouds and stays replacing hemp-
1899: Windlass and riding bitts torn from deck planking, repaired-
1900: Hauled and extensively repaired-
1914: Masts removed, steel skeleton light structure installed on deckhouse a midships, acetylene lens lantern installed; 8" air fog whistle and associated equipment installed

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: LV 6

1862-1912: Succonnesset Shoal (MA)
1912-1915: Relief (MA)
1915-1918: Cross Rip (MA)

(During period 1862-1912, believed to have been withdrawn occasionally from Succonnesset to relieve the Cross Rip station)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 6 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Succonnessett" )


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1869: Reported by USLHS as oldest lightship in the District at this time-
1871: Dec, reported in bad condition; relieved by LV 24 from 4th District and hauled for repairs-
1873: Replaced on station, repairs completed-
1875: Carried off station by ice, losing chain and anchor-
1890: August, parted chain and went adrift-
1896: Dragged off station in gale-
1912: Assigned to Relief duty-
1915: Oct/Nov Assigned to Cross Rip station; illuminant changed to acetylene-
1917: Oct 24, during 80 mph winds, dragged off station then parted chain and drifted 2 1/2 miles West and dropped spare anchor; tender AZALEA responded, recovered the moorings and repositioned vessel on station Oct 27-
1918, Feb 4: vessel was reported drifting slowly eastward in moving ice.  Feb 5, sighted by keeper of Great Point Light in heavy ice east of the Great Round Shoal lightship. Tender AZALEA, Relief LV 90, and naval vessels were dispatched to the area to search but nothing found; lost with 6 men aboard. 
Based on wind and tide conditions at the time, many later searches were conducted for wreckage, but all were inconclusive.

More notes:-
In 1933 Government dredge W L MARSHALL found parts of frame, planking and windlass believed to be from LV 6-
In 1957 wreckage and artifacts found on West Dennis beach were thought to be from the lightship.- Neither of the foregoing reports were officially confirmed-
1987, as the result of a lightship bell being recovered off Nauset Beach, a sonar search was planned for the summer of 1988 in an attempt to discover the presence of wreckage possibly from LV 6

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: (1918) AGE: 63

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:

(Dragged off station in moving ice Feb 4, 1918, last seen moving out the eastern entrance to Nantucket Sound; lost with all hands)


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 6

1885-1893: George W Rogers, Asst Keeper
1893-1898: George W Rogers, Mate
1898-1901: George W Rogers, Master
1901-1902: Albert W Matthews, Master
1902-1903: Judah Berry Jr., Master
1903-?: Joseph W Nickerson, Master
1904-1906: Richard E B Phillips, Mate
1906-?: Zemira C McDonald, Mate

1915-1918: R E B Phillips, Master
1915-1917: C C Nickerson, Mate
1917-1918: Henry F Joy, Mate


IMAGES:

Light Ship Number Six on station, no date.

Lightship No. 6 on station, no date.  Boston Post photo by George T. Murray.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 7/3/2012