U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 59


YEAR BUILT: 1893

BU1LT AT: Toledo (OH)

BUILDER: Craig Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $25,000 (Approp. for a lightship for Bar Point (Ml) to replace privately owned vessel)

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,490

SISTER VESSELS: LV 60,61,62

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, white oak fastened with 3/4" iron bolts; foremast with spencer; short after mast; stack amidships; fog signal ahead of stack; daymark on foremast; single large deckhouse; hull painted black initially

LENGTH: 87'2" (loa); BEAM: 216"; DRAFT: 8'0"; TONNAGE: 160 displ (fresh water)

PROPULSION: None-riding sail rigged on after mast

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil burning lens lanterns hoisted to foremasthead

FOG SIGNAL: 6" steam whistle


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

Built under separate contract, but otherwise identical to LV 60, 61 and 62
Repairs were made while the vessel was withdrawn during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually Dec-Mar/Apr each year
1907: Mar, submarine bell signal installed and placed in operation

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1893-1910: Bar Point Shoal
1911-1914: Poe Reef (MI)

(Bar Point Shoal lies in Canadian waters near the mouth of the Detroit River, Lake Erie. It was marked by the US with permission of the Canadian Government)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1893: Sep 20, placed on Bar Point Shoal, mouth of Detroit River, Lake Erie; black hull, white lettering; fog signal 10 sec blast, :30 sec silent; 1 FW light
1893: Dec 6 withdrawn for winter to Detroit Lighthouse Depot
Typical of Great Lakes lightships, the vessel. was withdrawn from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually early December through March or April - Necessary repairs and refitting were performed during winter
1898: Dec 11, carried off station by moving ice, drifting in western end of Lake Erie for 10 days, when picked up and towed to Detroit Dec 21
1899: Smokestack replaced
1900: Boiler repairs
1902: Under repair at opening of navigation; station marked by lighted buoy until Apr 29 when lightship took station
1906: Oct 17, damaged in collision with barge under tow
1907: Mar, equipped with submarine bell signal
1911: Mar/Apr, transferred and placed on Poe Reef (MI) in Lake Huron
1914: Surveyed Sep/Oct, rated unseaworthy and condemned

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1914; AGE: 21

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Oct 1, 1914 sold at public auction - $314 Said to have been later registered as tug LEATHEM D SMITH


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1894-1897: Thomas Cooney, Master
1897-1902: William Wybrands Master
1902-?: Edwin J Wilkinson, Master

?-1914: Martin Tellefson, Mate
1914: Ernest LeBahn, Mate
?-1914: G. J. Navarre, Master

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012