U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 29


YEAR BUILT: 1864

BUILT AT: Philadelphia (FA)

BUILDER: Vaughn & Fisher

APPROPRIATION: $150,000 (Approp. 1864 for "construction & repair of light boats")

CONTRACT PRICE: $24, 000 ($48, 000 for LV 29 & 34)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood -- oak, yellow pine & locust; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts, no day marks

LENGTH: 101" 0' (loa), BEAM: 23' 6", DRAFT: 106", TONNAGE: 232 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps w/reflector:

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1878: Extensive hull repairs-
1881: "Thorough" repairs following damage due to August hurricane & grounding-
1885: New suit of sails fitted, awnings replaced-
1887: "Badly worm eaten", stem replaced, replanked and coppered below water, new mainmast, new water tanks, hawsepipes replaced-
1895: Major overhaul-
1897/98: Repairs, refitted, mainmast replaced-
1900: Hauled for salvage or repairs, "as she has not been out of the water for over 5 years"-
1902: Hauled for major structural repairs to stem, keel, and planking

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1865- 1871: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1871-1875: Martins Industry (SC)
1875-1877: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1877-1880: Relief (SC)
1880-1887: Martins Industry (SC)
1887-1888: Relief (SC)
1888-1892: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1893-1906: Relief (SC)
1906-1911: Martins Industry (SC)
1911-1915: Relief (SC)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1865: Dec 20, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC)-
1866: Jan, broke adrift in gale-
1866: Sep 28, broke adrift, found Oct 10 off Tybee (GA), refitted and returned to station Nov 15-
1871: Driven from station in heavy weather, taken in for repairs-
1871: Sep 1, placed on Martins Industry (SC) from which LV 34 had gone adrift-
1875: Jun 21, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC)-
1877: Dec 14, reverted to Relief-
1880: Apr 26, placed on Martins Industry (SC)-
1881: Aug 27, blown off station in hurricane; aground at Tybee Island (GA); taken in for repair of extensive damage; back on station Feb 1, 1882-
1887: Jul 23, reverted to Relief (SC) -in need of extensive repairs-
1888: Nov 27, placed on Frying Pan Shoal (NC), withdrawn Dec 1, 1892 & repaired-
1893: Jan 1, reverted to Relief (SC) -"in poor condition"-
1903: Mar 23, parted moorings and went aground in Charleston Harbor-
1906: Feb 7, placed on Martins Industry (SC)-
1911: Dec 16, reverted to Relief status, kept at Charleston (SC)

More notes:

 

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1915 AGE: 52

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Surveyed, condemned and sold to the highest bidder at Charleston (SC), Sep 15, 1915 - $1,667.67


COMMANDING OFFICERS: 

1892-1893: Antoni Neilson, Asst Keeper
1893-1894: Antoni Neilson, Mate
1894-1896: Carl F Kellin, Master
1896-1900: Andrew Anderson, Master
?-1913: Edgar M. Cahoon, Mate
1914-1915: B.W. Diggs, Mate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012