U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 20

Brenton Reef Relief Lightship on station


YEAR BUILT: 1867

BUILT AT: Greenpoint, LI. (NY)

BUILDER: W. H. Hathorn

APPROPRIATION: None

CONTRACT PRICE: $25,040 (Used funds already appropriated for a Hen & Chickens light vessel)

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - live oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts; daymarks on both

LENGTH: 81'6" (lbp), BEAM: 216", DRAFT: 10'6", TONNAGE: 165 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps, Funck type

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1878: Declared "rotten" and in need of rebuild-
1880: Rebuilt-
1881: Lamps converted to kerosene operation-
1895: Jan, extensive repairs-
1918: Mainmast removed; equipped with single acetylene lens lantern-
1920: Equipped with radio

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1867-1868: Relief (4th District)
1868-1870: Wreck of Scotland (NJ)
1870-1876: Relief (NY)
1876-1880: Wreck of Scotland (NJ)
1880-1886: Relief (NY)
1886: Wreck of Oregon (NY)
1886-1918: Relief (CT)
1918-1922: Cross Rip (MA)
1923: Relief (laid up)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1867: Nov 26, Relief duty at Cross Ledge (DE)-
1868: Mar, Transferred from 4th to 3d District-
1868: Apr 15, Placed on Wreck of Scotland (NJ) per Joint Resolution of Congress-
1870: Withdrawn (approved by Congress) when wreck no longer a hazard-
1870: Assigned Relief duty, based at Staten Island (NY)-
1876: Reassigned to former Wreck of Scotland position-
1880: Reverted to Relief status after extensive and lengthy overhaul-
1886: Apr 10ăNov 1, placed at Wreck of Oregon site, of f Fire Island (NY)-
1888: Involved in collision, unspecified-
1894: Boats stove in, stem twisted after collisions with 3 sailing vessels-
1894: Nov 17, broke adrift while relieving Cornfield Pt (CT), put into New London for 4 days-
1900: Jun 23,"injured" by collision with barge under tow-
1903: Only kept "for relieving vessels not equipped with steam fog signal nor flashing or occulting lights"-
1905: Jul 27-Sep 15 relieved Fenwick Island Shoal (DE), returned to New London-
1919: Mar, transferred to 2d District and placed on Cross Rip

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1923 AGE: 56

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold 1923. Said to have been used later as warehouse by rumrunners during Prohibition. Still later, grounded and abandoned at Plymouth
(MA). Was later burned as Jul 4 bonfire


COMMANDING OFFICERS: 

1895-?: Nicolas Nelson, Master

1918: John Kinney, Mate
1918-1921: William Kelley, Mate
1921: Francis Begley, Mate
1921-1923: Joseph Baxter, Master
1921-1922: Frank W Losinski, Mate
1923: Walter B Werner, Mate


PHOTOGRAPHS:

Brenton Reef Relief Lightship on station

Light Vessel No. 20. 
Library of Congress photograph provided courtesy of Richard Holmes.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012