U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 16


YEAR BUILT: 1854

BUILT AT: Somerset (MA)

APPROPRIATION: $22, 000

BUILDER: J. M. Hood

CONTRACT PRICE: $28,084

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak; copper & iron fastened; bowsprit; 2 masts with oval daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 125'8" (ba) BEAM: 22'6" DRAFT: l0'4" TONNAGE: 250 gross

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig; fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each having 8 oil lamps & reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1862: Jul-Oct, rebuilt below water line - $10,000-
1871: May 24-Nov 29, rebuilt above water & refitted - $18,084-
1872: "Thiers automatic fog signal, bilge pump & ventilator" installed for test; fog signal found unsatisfactory; pump & ventilator were retained-
1883: Sep 20-Jun 1884, rebuilt at New Bedford (MA)-
1892: Aug. equipped with English revolving (flashing) apparatus rotated by two small steam winch engines, also fitted with boiler and steam fog whistle-
1905: 10" air fog whistle installed with 2 oil engines and compressor-
1910: Equipped with submarine bell signal-
1912: Fog sigrtal changed to air siren, whistle retained-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1922-
1920: Illuminant changed from oil to acetylene

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1854-1891: Sandy Hook (NY)
1891-1935: Relief (NY)
(1891 May 15, position moved 2 1/4 mi NE x N)
(1899: Apr-Jun. loaned to 5th District for Relief duty)
(1899: Jun-Dec, loaned to 4th District for Relief duty)
(1903: Jul 20-1904 Jul 24, loaned to 4th District for Relief duty)
(1906: Jul-Oct, loaned to 4th District for Relief duty)
(1932-1935 laid up)
("No number cut in main beam or otherwise". Prior to 1867 when No. 16 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Sandy Hook")


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1854: Oct, placed on Sandy Hook (NY)-
1873: Feb 15, lights changed from white to red-
1874: In collision with steamer CHARLESTON-
1879: Appropriation of $50,000 requested for replacement vessel-
1883: Reported "decayed and unserviceable", estimate $20,000 for repair-
1888: In collision with British bark STAR OF THE EAST-
1888: Congress passed appropriation bill for $60,000 but tailed to authorize expenditure of funds for replacement vessel.-
1892: Aug 1, withdrawn upon arrival of replacement (LV 48), and assigned as
Relief (NY); English revolving (flashing) apparatus and steam fog signal added- 1899: Apr. sent to 5th District as Relief; Jun 30 sent to 4th District as Relief returning to 3d District on Dec 22-
1904: Jul 20-Jul 24 1904, sent to 4th District as Relief-
1906: Jul-Oct sent to 4th District as Relief- 
Removed from service 1932, but retained Relief status until 1935. When removed from service, was the last US lightship powered by sail only

More notes:

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1932 AGE: 78

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold 1935 or later


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1882-1886: David H Caulkins, Keeper

1919-1926: Alexander Olsen, Master
1926-1929: Harry Elde, Master
1929-1932: Christophore Lasdine, Master

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012