& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service
VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 12 (II)
YEAR BUILT: 1846
BUILT AT: Philadelphia, PA
CONTRACT PRICE: Purchase/conversion costs unknown
SISTER VESSELS: None
DESIGN: Wood, white oak and locust; copper & galvanized iron fastenings; two masts; lantern and square daymark on foremast only.
LENGTH: 72', BEAM: 20' 6", DRAFT: 9' 7", TONNAGE: 159 gross
PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig
ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern on foremast; 8 lard oil lamps w/ reflectors
FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell
CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES &
-1867: Metal sheathing repaired due to ice damage, broken fog bell replaced
-1868/69: Major overhaul at Norfolk, Virginia; supplied with one 2,800 pound mushroom anchor & 90 fathoms of 1 x 3/4" chain for use "in case of emergency."
-1871: Repairs at Staten Island, New York, upon transfer to Third District
-1874: Extensive repairs ($16,488); fitted with two new mushroom anchors & 185 fathoms of chain
-1880: July, extensive hull repairs, new lantern mast, re-rigged
-1883: General overhaul
-1891: Reported in poor condition, structurally weak from rot
-1846-?: Relief, Fifth District
-1863-1864: York Spit (VA)
-1864-1870: Wolf Trap Shoal (VA); (numbered LV-22 in 1867)
-1871-1872: Eel Grass Shoal (CT); (renumbered LV-12 in 1871)
-1872-1882: Cornfield Point (CT)
-1884-1885: Relief (CT)
-1885-1901: Hog Island Shoal (RI)
-1901-1903: Relief (CT); laid up
1846: Identified as "Relief" until she was assigned the
hull number LV-22 in 1867 while on Wolf Trap station.
1864: On York Spit, VA, during the Civil War, "facilitating Army transport movement."
1864, Aug 2: removed from York Spit and placed on Wolf Trap Shoal.
1871, Jun: lightship station discontinued upon activation of Wolf Trap Light; LV-22, was transferred to the Third District for relief duty.
1871: Placed on Eel Grass Shoal, CT, replacing the "old" LV-12/GUTHRIE; and was then renumbered from LV-22 to LV-12 by the Lighthouse Board. Later carried off station by ice.
1872: Moved to Cornfield Point, CT.
1875: Carried off station by ice.
1882: Moved to Eel Grass Shoal.
1884: Station discontinued upon activation of the Latimers Reef Light. LV-12 then assigned to "Relief" duty and was stationed at New London, CT.
1886, Aug 14: placed on Hog Island Shoal, RI, replacing a private aid to navigation.
1898: In collision with a passing vessels
1901, Nov. 4: Hog Island Light, RI, activated; lightship station was discontinued, the lightship was withdrawn and laid up at New London.
1901: LV-12 is designated "Relief" but was actually laid up at New London until 1903
"No number cut in main beam"; vessel was identified only as "Relief" by Fifth District until 1867 when it was assigned the hull number LV-22. She was once again renumbered in 1871, this time as LV-12--she retained this number until she was placed out of government service.
RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1903; AGE: 57
Sold at public auction in New London, CT
-1877-1893: John A. Beebe, Keeper
-1895-1900: Wainwright B. Cummings, Master
-1896-1897: William Walin, Master