U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 118/WAL 539


YEAR BUILT: 1938

BUILT AT: East Boothbay (ME)

BUILDER: Rice Brothers

APPROPRIATION: ? (Funds appropriated specifically for a lightship for Cornfield Point)

SISTER VESSELS: None

CONTRACT PRICE: $223,900

DESIGN: Diesel propelled; steel hull; steel deckhouses; single lantern mast with gallery on house aft of pilot house; short smokestack

LENGTH: 114'9" (loa); BEAM: 26'0"; DRAFT: 13'4"; TONNAGE: 412 displacement

PROPULSION: Diesel - one Cooper-Bessemer 8 cylinder air-start engine, 400 BHP, connected to shaft through reduction gear; 7'2" dia propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Duplex 375mm electric lens lantern, each rated l5,000cp

FOG SIGNAL: Dual air diaphones, switchable to single horn; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATlONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS: 
The last lightship designed and built by the Lighthouse Service-
Hull design patterned after LV 112 with respect to compartmentation, watertight integrity and safety features; two diesel driven compressors powered fog signal, pumps, windlass and boat hoisters. Electric power by two diesel driven 10 KW generators and storage battery bank. Fitted with radio, radiobeacon synchronized with fog signal when built-
1938: Jun 4, launched; sea trials Aug 24/25; delivered Staten Island NY Sep 11, averaging 9.2 knots on the run from Boothbay to NY.-
1943: Fitted with detection radar-
1963: USCG lists vessel with displacement 449 tons; duplex 300mm lens lantern, 13,000cp each lantern, AN/SPN-1l radar; other characteristics as shown above Radio and visual call sign NMJF (as of 1963)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: 
1938-l957: Cornfield Point (CT)
1958-1962: Cross Rip (MA)
1962-1972: Boston (MA)

(1942-1945: During WWII, remained assigned to Cornfield station, no armament provided)


HISTORICAL NOTES: 
1939: Apr 25, placed on Cornfield Point (CT), serving thereafter on the
Cross Rip and Boston stations until withdrawn Oct 5, 1972

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1972; AGE: 34

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov '7, 1972; donated to Lewes Historical Society (DE) Aug 9 1973; afloat and on display at Lewes; marked OVERFALLS (although never assigned to that station).


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 118 / WAL 539

1951-1953: BMC Cyrus Bagley, OIC

1958-1960: CWO4 A. B. Crowley, CO; BMC Norman Mellor, XO
1960: CWO4 James, CO; BMC Benway, XO

1963: CWO D E Dean, CO
1963-1964: CWO John L. Hair, CO

1968 (April) - 1970 (April): CWO2 Stanley M. Pridham, CO

1973:  CWO (BM) R. A. Buotte, CO

 

 


 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012