U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 110/WAL 532


YEAR BUILT: 1923

BUILT AT: Bath (ME)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Bath Iron Works

CONTRACT PRICE: $200,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 106,107,108,109,111

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull; steel pilot house and deck houses; 2 masts with lantern galleries; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 132'4" (loa); BEAM: 30'0"; DRAFT: 14'7; TONNAGE: 775 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - compound reciprocating engine, 400 IHP; 2 oil fired Scotch marine boilers, 120 psi; 4 bladed propeller; max speed 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle, submarine bell, hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
Delivered Jan 22, 1924-
1924: Equipped with radio when built-
1928: Equipped with radiobeacon-
1943: Fitted with detection radar-
1947: Jan-Jul, at Curtis Bay for overhaul-
1958: Repowered steam to Diesel, GM 8 cyl 2 cycle 500HP, 49" propeller, max speed listed 8 knots; original stack replaced with shorter type; duplex 375mm lens lantern installed on foremast, 15,000cp each light; radome on main-
1960 USCG lists vessel with air diaphragm horn (17" Leslie typhon); TRSC-l radar, other characteristics as above- 

Radio and visual call sign NMGX (1940-1960)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS: 
1924-1942: Pollock Rip (MA)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1947: Pollock Rip (MA)
1947-1954: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1954-1958: Cross Rip (MA)
1959-1961: Buzzards Bay (MA)
1961-1967: Relief (4th/Sth Districts)
196?-1969: Barnegat (NJ)
1970-1971: Five Fathom Bank (NJ)

(1942-1945: During WWlI, withdrawn from Polbock Rip station and used examination vessel based at Woods Hole MA. Classed as a "YN" - net tender during the period)
(1947 At Curtis Bay, MD for overhaul early in the year, then placed on Vineyard station)


HISTORICAL NOTES:
1924: Aug 26, with barometer 28.28 and wind Force 11, rode out hurricane with slight damage after broaching to, and being completely smothered several times in boarding seas-
1927: Mar 4, dragged 1 1/2 mi southeasterly from station in heavy gale; regained station later same day-
1935: Sep 16, Mate Steven Black and boat crew rescued 3 USCG aviators from amphibian aircraft which crashed attempting to land in heavy seas for removal of seriously ill lightship crewman; high wind and seas caused the plane to sink; injured aviators and crew member taken ashore by Coast Guard; tender ANEMONE raised and salvaged wrecked aircraft with assistance by Coast Guard diver.-
1935: Nov 18, during severe storm, blown off station; unable to make headway to station; one fireman seriously insured by fall; regained station next day when weather moderated

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1971; AGE: 48

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 3, 1971; records indicate vessel may have been donated but list no recipient; scrapped at Dorchester (MA) 1975.


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 110 / WAL 532
1924-1927: Dave J Allen, Master
1924-1925: George K Martin, Mate
1925-1926: John J Norton, Mate
1926-1927: Walter B Werner, Mate
1927: Warren W Elliott, Master
1927-1935: Charles M Tobin, Master
1927-1935: Steven Black, Mate
1935-1936: Steven Black, Master
1936-194?: Guy V. Emro, Master (later integrated into USCG as CWO)
1937-?: Gordon Hansen, Mate

1955-1956: BMC Hall, OIC
1955-1956: BM1 Joe Tamalonis, XO

9/1/61-9/1/63: WO Elmer Lovan, OIC


A photo of the Buzzards Lightship tied up at her moorings

Courtesy of Art Richmond.

Spar deck of LV-106.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 4/28/2009