Historic Light Station Information
& Photography

OREGON


CAPE ARAGO (CAPE GREGORY) LIGHT

Location: GREGORY POINT/SW OF COOS BAY ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1866
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1934
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1966
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL ATTACHED TO FOG SIGNAL BD
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER, GREEN LANTERN, RED DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1866

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

Cape Gregory Light, circa 1871 (75 dpi); (300 dpi); photo by noted English photographer Eadweard Muybridge.


CAPE BLANCO LIGHT

Location: SOUTHERNMOST OREGON COAST
Station Established: 1870
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1870
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1980
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER, GREEN LANTERN, RED DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1870

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

Cape Blanco Light, circa 1871 (75 dpi); (300 dpi); photo by noted English photographer Eadweard Muybridge.

Another view by Eadweard Muybridge (75 dpi); (300 dpi).


CAPE MEARES LIGHT

Location: SOUTHERN ENTRANCE TO TILLAMOOK BAY
Station Established: 1890
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1890
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1963
Deactivated: 1963
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: BRICK SHEATHED IN SHEET IRON
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1890

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

THE 1890 CAPE MEARES LIGHT TOWER

CAPE MEARES LIGHTHOUSE, CIRCA 1963


COQUILLE RIVER (BANDON) LIGHT

Location: ENTRANCE TO COQUILLE RIVER
Station Established: 1896
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1939
Foundation Materials: ROCK & CONCRETE JETTY
Construction Materials: BRICK/STUCCOED
Tower Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO SIGNAL BLDG.
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1896

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

COQUILLE RIVER LIGHT


HECETA HEAD LIGHT

Location: NORTH OF SUISLAW RIVER
Station Established: 1894
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1894
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1963
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK/STUCCOED
Tower Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER/GREEN LANTERN/RED DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1894

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

HECETA HEAD LIGHTHOUSE


TILLAMOOK ROCK LIGHT

Location: OFF TILLAMOOK HEAD
Station Established: 1881
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1881
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1957
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: BASALT MASONRY/BRICK/IRON
Tower Shape: ROUND LANTERN ON SQUARE TOWER
Markings/Pattern: WHITE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1881

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

Tillamook Rock, one of the most exposed stations on the Pacific coast, has received many batterings by violent storms. Although the lantern is 133 feet above the level of the sea, the protective glass has on more than one occasion been shattered by stones hurled by giant waves. During the building of the station a lighthouse engineer lost his life during an attempted landing on the rock. While extensive repairs were being made to the lighthouse following a disastrous storm, a keeper and a workman were taken seriously ill as the result of exposure. A lighthouse tender attempted to remove them from the rock, but after several efforts to send a boat to the rock it was necessary to remove the men by means of a breeches buoy. Other men were landed on the rock in the same manner to take the place of those who were ill. In 1957 the light was discontinued and the island sold.

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

TILLAMOOK ROCK LIGHTHOUSE


UMPQUA RIVER LIGHT

Location: UMPQUA RIVER ABOVE ENTRANCE TO WINCHESTER BAY
Station Established: 1856
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1894
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1966
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED/MASONRY
Construction Materials: BRICK/STUCCOED
Tower Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER/GREEN LANTERN/RED DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FRESNEL 1894

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


WILLAMETTE RIVER LIGHT

Location: MOUTH OF THE WILLAMETTE RIVER ON THE COLUMBIA RIVER
Station Established: 1895
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: No 
Automated: No
Deactivated: 
Tower Shape: None, two-story octagonal dwelling on piles. Light was a post lantern mounted on a railing of the dwelling.
Height:
Markings/Pattern: Post lantern mounted on a railing.
Original Lens: 
Characteristic: Flashing white every 4 seconds
Fog Horn: Bell, 1 stroke every 10 seconds

HISTORICAL INFORMATION:

  • Funding authorized in 1894.
  • Station was established in 1895.
  • Station was electrified and automated in 1935.  Light and fog signal were moved to a low piling near the Kelly Point beach while the dwelling was acquired by the Portland Mercantile Exchange.
  • Dwelling was destroyed by fire in the 1950s. 

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

WILLAMETTE RIVER LIGHTHOUSE


YAQUINA BAY LIGHT (OLD)

Location: YAQUINA BAY STATE PARK
Station Established: 1871
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: 1874-1996
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER ON DWELLING
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1871

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

YAQUINA BAY LIGHTHOUSE


YAQUINA HEAD LIGHT

Location: THREE MILES NORTH OF YAQUINA BAY ENTRANCE
Station Established: 1873
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1873
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1966
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL ATTACHED TO WORKROOM
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER/GREEN LANTERN/RED DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER, FIXED, FRESNEL 1868

PHOTOGRAPHS (click on light name below to access image): 

YAQUINA HEAD LIGHTHOUSE


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012