Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Historic Light Station Information
& Photography

MINNESOTA


DULUTH HARBOR NORTH PIER LIGHT

Location: Entrance to Duluth Shipping Canal, Lake Superior
Historic Tower:
Date Built: 1909-1910
Year Light First Lit: 1910
Operational? Yes. Active aid to navigation
Automated? Yes
Foundation Materials: Concrete Breakwater
Construction Materials: Steel and Cast Iron
Tower Shape: Cylindrical
Markings/Pattern: White tower with black lantern and base
Original lens: Fifth Order Fresnel
Owner: U. S. Coast Guard

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Alexander Shaw (1908-1910), Charles Lederle (1910-1915), Edwin Bishop (1915-1928), John Woods (1928-1940).

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

DULUTH HARBOR NORTH BREAKWATER LIGHTHOUSE


DULUTH SOUTH BREAKWATER LIGHTS (OUTER & INNER)

DULUTH HARBOR ON LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1901
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1901
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1976
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE BREAKWATER
Construction Materials: STEEL FRAME/IRON LANTERN; Outer Light: BRICK
Tower Shape: SKELETAL W/CENTRAL CYLINDER; Outer Light: CYLINDRICAL ON SQUARE HOUSE
Markings/Pattern: BLACK STAIRWELL/WHITE LANTERN; Outer Light: WHITE W/RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE; Outer Light: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1896

Photographs:

DULUTH SOUTH BREAKWATER REAR LIGHT, CIRCA 1935

DULUTH SOUTH BREAKWATER REAR LIGHT, CIRCA 1893

DULUTH SOUTH BREAKWATER FRONT LIGHT, CIRCA 1893


GRAND MARAIS LIGHT

LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1885
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1922
Operational? YES
Automated? YES
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: PIER/CONCRETE
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1885

Photographs:

GRAND MARAIS LIGHT


MINNESOTA POINT LIGHT

Location: North side of entrance to Lake Superior
Station Established: 1856
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: 1913
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: Conical
Makings/Pattern: RED BRICK
Relationship to Other Structure: Only about half of
the abandoned brick lighthouse tower remains.
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER FRESNEL

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

MINNESOTA POINT LIGHTHOUSE


SPLIT ROCK LIGHT

NORTH SHORE OF LAKE SUPERIOR
Station Established: 1910
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1910
Operational? YES
Automated? YES
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK/REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: BUFF BRICK W/WHITE CORNICE; BLACK LENS RM
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL (BIVALVE) 1910

Historical Information:

Located at the top of an imposing rock jutting out into Lake Superior is Split Rock Lighthouse. The station derives its name from the appearance of the rock as it is approached from the open lake. The octagonal brick tower 54 feet in height was built in 1910. Because of the height of the rock, the light was 168 feet above the level of the lake and could be seen for 22 miles. An incandescent oil-vapor lamp was used inside the third-order lens, producing a light of 450,000 candlepower. The station was also equipped with a compressed air-operated diaphone fog signal, sounding a blast every 20 seconds in time of fog. Split Rock Lighthouse is one of the most frequently visited lighthouses in the United States. The light was discontinued in 1969.

Photographs:

SPLIT ROCK LIGHTHOUSE


TWO HARBORS LIGHT

Location: Overlooking Lake Superior’s Agate Bay, Two Harbors, Minnesota
Historic Tower:
Station established: 1892
Year light first lit: 1892
Operational? Yes
Automated? Yes, 1980
Foundation Materials: Stone
Construction Materials: Red brick
Tower Shape: Square (twelve feet squared)
Markings/Pattern: Red dome and ventilator ball on roof of white lantern
Relationship to other structure: Keeper’s house attached
Tower height: 49 feet
Original lens: Fourth Order Fresnel was installed in 1892
Present Optic: DCB-224 Aerobeacon installed in 1969 is visible an average of 17 miles.
Light Pattern: .4 seconds of light, 4.6 seconds of dark, .4 seconds of light, 14.6 seconds of dark. 20 second light pattern repeated three times a minute continuously and automated from a station in Duluth.
Height of Focal Plane: 78 feet above the lake surface.

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Charles Lederle (1892-1910), Otto Redman (1910-1913), Lee Benton (1913-1915), Alexander McLean (1919-1931), Lawrence Pederson (1931-1940).

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

TWO HARBORS LIGHTHOUSE


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 11/17/2014