Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Historic Light Station Information
& Photography

Hawaii


BARBERS POINT LIGHT

Location: KALAELOA, OAHU ISLAND, HAWAII
Station Established: 1888
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1933
Operational? YES
Automated? 1964
Deactivated: N/A
Foundation Materials: MASONRY
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL WITHOUT LANTERN
Markings/Pattern: WHITE
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

FIRST BARBER'S POINT LIGHT TOWER, CIRCA 1915

SECOND BARBER'S POINT LIGHT TOWER, CIRCA 1934

SECOND BARBER'S POINT LIGHT TOWER, CIRCA 1976


CAPE KUMUKAHI LIGHT

EASTERNMOST POINT HAWAII ISLAND
Station Established: 1929
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1934
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1960
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials: Concrete
Construction Materials: Steel
Tower Shape: Skeletal pyramidal
Markings/Pattern: White
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: 375 MM 1929

Photographs:  

PHOTOGRAPH NOT AVAILABLE


DIAMOND HEAD LIGHT

Location: DIAMOND HEAD/OAHU ISLAND 
Station Established: 1899 
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1918 
Operational? YES 
Automated? YES 1924 
Deactivated: n/a 
Foundation Materials: Masonry 
Construction Materials: Concrete 
Tower Shape: Square 
Markings/Pattern: White w/ red roof 
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate 
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1899, built by Barbier and Benard.

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

DIAMOND HEAD LIGHT


HONOLULU HARBOR LIGHT

Location: HONOLULU HARBOR NEAR OAHU, HAWAII
Station Established: 189
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1969
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: N/A
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: GREY
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL

Historical Information

  • The original Honolulu Harbor Light was built in 1826. It was a white wooden structure on piles. It was nicknamed the Harbor Wink.
  • In 1910 a grey, square concrete tower was built. 
  • That structure was replaced by the Aloha Tower in a different location. The Honolulu Harbor Light was destroyed in 1934.
  • The Aloha Tower was deactivated in 1970. The tower served as a communications and harbor control center. The light has been deactivated.
  • The Aloha Tower is open to the public and is part of a marketplace.

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

No photograph available


HONOLULU RANGE LIGHTS

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational:
Automated: 
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: 
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape:
Height:
Markings/Pattern: 
Characteristics: 
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens:
Foghorn:   

Photographs:  

HONOLULU RANGE FRONT LIGHT


KAILUA POINT

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational:
Automated: 
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: 
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape:
Height:
Markings/Pattern: 
Characteristics: 
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens:
Foghorn:   

Photographs:  

KAILUA POINT LIGHTHOUSE


KAUHOLA POINT LIGHT

Station Established: 
Location: 20 15.0' N x 155 46.5' W
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1933
Operational:?
Automated: 1951
Deactivated: ?
Foundation Materials: Concrete
Construction Materials: Concrete
Tower Shape: Cylindrical
Markings/Pattern: White
Height of tower: 85 ft
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: 2 Grouse Hinds 36' revolving aircraft beacons (1933 tower)
Lamp: Clear Mogel Bi-Post T-20 C-13 (as of 1953); 

Historic Information/Documents:

Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) Report No. HI-89 (pdf)

Photographs:  

Kauhola Point Light, 1934: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi) ; (aerial view; photo dated 22 June 1934); Original caption: "KAUHOLA POINT LIGHT STATION  ISLAND OF HAWAII [ : ] The Kauhola Point Light Station is a permanent tower of heavily reinforced concrete, 72 feet in height.  The 36" airways type apparatus was transferred to the new tower on March 16, 1933.  The new tower replaces a wooden tower which was erected in 1917.  The new flashing light is alternating flashing red and green every 6 seconds, flash 0.2 sec., eclipse 5.8 sec., and is of 400,000 candlepower.  The use of alternating flashing red and green light is an innovation in the Hawaiian Islands, which has been very favorably received and commented on by mariners.  Since the photo was taken, the Kauhola tower has been painted 3 coats of white paint and the service house and surplus material shown in the foreground have been removed, the station now presenting a very neat appearance both from the air and from seaward.  The Inter-Island Airways Co. has a daily plane which passes directly over this station once in the morning on its way outbound to Hilo and once in the afternoon on its return trip."; photo dated 22 June 1934; no photo number; photographer unknown.

Kauhola Point Light, 1934: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); original caption:  "Side elevation.  Tower about 100 ft from camera.  Camera facing E'ly."; photo dated October 1934; no photo number; photo by "N. W. Wetherby."


KILAUEA POINT LIGHT

NORTH OF KILAUEA/KAUAI ISLAND
Station Established: 1913
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1913
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1976
Deactivated: 1976
Foundation Materials: Concrete
Construction Materials: Concrete
Tower Shape: Conical
Markings/Pattern: White w/red roof on lantern
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER FRESNEL 1913

Historical Information:

  • This important landfall light, providing a leading mark for ships bound to Honolulu from the Orient, was built in 1913. The tower is of reinforced concrete, and is 52 feet high, but it stands on a cliff which elevates the light to 216 feet above the water.  
  • The moving parts of the lens weigh 4 tons, and this mass turns on a mercury float, making a complete revolution every 20 seconds and giving each 10 seconds a double flash of 1,000,000 candlepower.  
  • The lens was built in France and cost about $12,000.  
  • Kilauea Lighthouse was also a radio-beacon station providing radio signals for the guidance of ships.
  • This light was the first landfall made in the first flight by an aeroplane from the Pacific coast of the United States to the Hawaiian Islands, in 1927, it was picked up from the air at a distance of 90 miles.

Photographs:  

KILAUEA LIGHTHOUSE


LAE O HA LA'AU POINT LIGHT

Location: SW end of Molokai Island, Hawaii
Station Established: January 2, 1882
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1972
Operational: Yes
Automated: 1912
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: 
Construction Materials: steel 
Tower Shape: pole
Height: 20’
Focal Plane: 151’
Markings/Pattern: white
Characteristics: Flashing white every 2.5 sec.
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: 4th order fresnel
Foghorn:   

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

LAE O HA LA'AU POINT LIGHTHOUSE, DATED 1906


LAHAINA LIGHT

Location: Lahaina Harbor, Maui
Station Established: 1840
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1917
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes
Deactivated: N/A
Construction Materials: Concrete
Tower Shape: Pyramidal
Markings/Pattern: White
Original Lens: ?; whale oil lamps
Present Optic: VRB-25
Year Present Lens Installed: 1996
Height: 39'
Height of Focal Plane: 44'
Characteristic: Red, FL 7.5

Historical Information:

  • In 1840 King Kamehameha III ordered a nine-foot wooden tower built on this site as an aid to navigation for the whaling ships that would anchor off Lahaina.  It is therefore "the oldest lighthouse of the U.S. Pacific coast."  It was equipped with a whale oil lamp and was cared for by a keeper who was paid $20 per year. 
  • By 1856 the light was equipped with two "powerful locomotive lamps."  
  • The original light was rebuilt in 1866 with the tower height increased to 26-feet.  The tower was built over a storehouse that was later leased out to a sugar company.  In 1905 a new wooden tower was constructed, replacing the 1840/1866 tower.  
  • A new concrete tower was constructed and was placed in operation in 1917.
  • In 1996 the Lahaina Restoration Foundation signed a 30 year lease agreement with the Coast Guard and assumed responsibility for maintenance of the site.

Photographs:  

LAHAINA LIGHT, CIRCA 1994


MAKAPUU POINT LIGHT

WAIMANALO/OAHU ISLAND
Station Established: 1909
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1909
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1974
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: MASONRY
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: HYPER-RADIANT 1909

Historical Information:

  • All the commerce from the west coast of North America bound to Honolulu passes Makapuu Lighthouse. The largest lens in a lighthouse of the United States known as a hyper-radiant lens, is in use at this lighthouse. 
  • The inside diameter is 8’2 feet, sufficient for several men to stand within. Although the tower is only 46 feet high the light is 420 feet above the sea. The 115,000 candlepower light can be seen for 28 miles. The effectiveness of this lighthouse has been greatly increased in recent years through the establishment of a radiobeacon at the station. The radio signals may be heard two hundred and more miles at sea.

Photographs:  

MAKAPUU LIGHTHOUSE

A photo of the interior of the Makapuu Point Radiobeacon Power House with three Lighthouse Service personnel standing at attention, no date (probably 1920s); photographer unknown.  (75 dpi)  (300 dpi)

MAKAPUU LIGHTHOUSE LANTERN ROOM

MAKAPUU LIGHTHOUSE LENS


MOLOKAI (KALAUPAPA) LIGHT

NORTH SIDE OF KALAUPAPA PENINSULA NEAR KALAUPAPA, HAWAII
Station Established: 1909
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1909
Operational? YES
Automated? 1970
Deactivated: N/A
Foundation Materials: MASONRY
Construction Materials: CONCRETE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER BIVALVE, FRESNEL

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

MOLOKAI LIGHTHOUSE


NAWILIWILI HARBOR LIGHT

Location: Ninini Point, north side entrance to the harbor on Kauai Island
Station Established: pre 1897 (some sources); 1906 (NPS)
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1933
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes, 1953
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: Masonry
Construction Materials: Concrete
Tower Shape: Cylindrical
Markings/Pattern: Buff
Relationship to Other Structure: Separate
Original Lens: First order bivalve, Fresnel
Characteristic: Fixed white (originally); flashing white (by 1948)
Fog Signal: None

Historical Information:

  • Original tower was erected sometime prior to 1897.
  • Original tower was of wooden construction, a single *' x 8" timber, 34 feet in height with spikes driven into the structure for access to the light.  The light was an incandescent oil vapor lamp (300 mm) of 160 candlepower.  The focal plane height of the light was 65 feet above mean high water and visible five miles to seaward.  The light was lowered to the ground during daylight for cleaning and servicing.
  • On 1 March 1917 the light station property was purchased by the U.S. Government from the Lihue Plantation Company, Limited, a total of 3.2 acres, for the sum of $8.00.
  • The station was Improved with restoration work in 1932, including the construction of a new cylindrical tower of reinforced concrete.
  • The new tower was 118 feet above mean high water of 1,200,000 candlepower and was visible 17 miles to seaward.
  • In 1960 the light was up-graded to a capacity of 2,000,000 candlepower.
  • Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotilla 15 "adopted" the lighthouse in 1994.  Flotilla members promised to "maintain the light and the surrounding area, and carry on the old seafaring tradition of lighthouse keepers.'

Photographs:  

Nawiliwili LIght, circa 1934: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: "Nawiliwili Hbr. Lt. Station [;]  Photo taken in March 1934 by Senda Studio. Tower accomplished [sic] in 1932, and lantern established in 1933. New dwelling constructed in 1933."; photo dated March, 1934; Photo No. "Book 9 Film No. 38"; photo by "Senda Studios."

Nawiliwili Light, circa 1948: (75 dpi); Original caption: "NAWILIWILI HARBOR LIGHT: The lantern of Nawiliwili Harbor Light, set 86 feet above the ground, 118 feet above the water, sends a flashing whit light visible for 17 miles across Pacific waters.  This tall white, cylindrical concrete tower is located on Ninini Point on the north side of the entrance to Nawiliwili Harbor on the Island of Kauai, in the Hawiians.  It was established in 1906 and rebuilt in 1932."; photo dated "File Date: 6 May, 1948"; Photo No. 5127; photographer unknown.

Nawiliwili Light, circa 1962: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: "Nawiliwili Light, Hawaii."; No date, probably 1962; Photo No. 14CGD-052862(09); photographer unknown.

Nawiliwili Light, circa 1967: (75 dpi) ; (300 dpi); Original caption: none; photo stamped "Feb 10 1967."; Photo No. 05286208; photographer unknown.


PAUWELA POINT LIGHT

Location: NE Coast of Maui, HAWAII
Station Established: 1910
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit:  
Operational: yes
Automated: 1964
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: 
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape: White post
Height: 40’
Focal Plane: 161’
Markings/Pattern: 
Characteristics: Flashing white every 15 seconds; range 15 nautical miles.
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: Lens Lantern by Barbier, Benard & Turenne
Foghorn: 

Historical Information:

Keepers:

Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:  

PAUWELA POINT LIGHT


PEPEEKEO POINT LIGHT

Location: On the point, off HI 19 about 6 miles (10 km) north of Hilo
Station Established: 1907
Year Current/Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1907
Operational: Yes
Automated: 1917
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: 
Construction Materials: steel
Tower Shape: Steel pole
Height: 75’, focal plane 147’
Markings/Pattern: white and black dayboard
Characteristics: white light occults every 4 sec.
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens:
Foghorn:  

Historical Information:

Keepers: 

Researched and written by Marie Vincent, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Light House Society.

Photographs:  

PEPEEKEO POINT LIGHT


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 11/17/2014