Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

CAPE WASH, 1953

WPB 95310

Type A


Builder:  Coast Guard Yard, Curtis Bay, MD 

Commissioned:  15 December 1953 

Decommissioned:  1 June 1987 

Disposition:  Transferred to USN 1987, in service (Venture, PTB 951)

Length:  95’ oa; 90’ wl

Navigation Draft:  6’4”  

Beam:  20’ max. 

Displacement (tons):  102 fl (A) 

Main Engines:   4 Cummins VT-600 diesels; 2 Detroit 16V149 diesels (renovated) 

BHP:  2,200; 2,470 (renovated) 

Performance, Max. Speed:  20 kts.; 24 kts. (renovated)
Performance, Cruising:        12 kts., 1,418-mi radius (1961) 

Fuel Capacity:  3,114 gallons 

Complement:  15 (1961) 

Electronics:

Radar:  SPS-64 (1987)Sonar: retractable type  

Armament:  2 mousetraps, 2 depth charge racks, 2 20mm (twin), 2 .50-cal. machine guns (as completed). 2 12.7mm mg, 2  40mm Mk 64 grenade launchers (1987)


Class history—The 95-foot or Cape class was an outgrowth of a need for shallow-draft anti-submarine-warfare (ASW) craft brought on by the increasing tensions during the years immediately following World War II.    During the period of construction, three distinctive sub-classes evolved as the Coast Guard’s mission emphasis shifted from ASW to search and rescue (SAR), The A Type 95-footer was outfitted primarily for ASW. The B Type differed by mounting a 40 mm vice 20 mm gun and being fitted with scramble nets, a towing bit, and a large searchlight – all important SAR tools. The C Type units were constructed  without the heavy armament and for economy some of the SAR equipment was also deleted. However, the Coast Guard added these SAR items to both the As and Cs during various refits. A renovation program began in the mid-1970s but was ended, due to increasing expenses and a shortage of funds, after 16 boats had been overhauled.

The 95-footers were designed by the Coast Guard and built at the Coast Guard Yard.  Their hulls were made of steel while their superstructures were made of aluminum.  This proved to be problematic throughout their service lives due to electrolysis between the dissimilar metals.

These cutters remained unnamed until January of 1964.


Ship's history:

From 1954 to 1964, the Cape Wash was stationed at Alameda, CA. She was used for law enforcement (LE) and SAR. On 30 May 1960, she sustained an engine-room fire in Oakland, CA. On 25 October 1960, she towed wreckage of Leaky Teaky to Yerba Buena Island. On 26-27 October 1961, she assisted M/Vs Hoegh Cape and Waitermata following a collision 13 miles west of Bodega Bay. On 19 November 1962, she assisted the grounded F/V Pelican at Half Moon Bay. From 1964 to 1967, she was homeported at San Francisco, CA, and was used for LE and SAR. From 1968 to 1981, she was stationed at Monterey, CA, and was used for LE and SAR. In April 1980, she assisted the disabled tanker Austin off Morro Bay; commercial vessels were also assisting. From 1982 to 1987, she was stationed at Morro Bay, CA, and was used for LE and SAR. On 22 February 1983, she assisted in the rescue of students from the capsized charter boat San Mateo outside Morro Bay. On 18 May 1983, she helped transfer oil from a leaking barge 30 miles west of Lopez, CA.

She was decommissioned on 1 January 1987 and transferred to the U.S. Navy.  She was based at Submarine Base Bangor and saw service as a "Personnel Transfer Boat" (PTB) and given the hull number 951 (95-footer, boat #1).


Sources:

Cutter History File.  USCG Historian's Office, USCG HQ, Washington, D.C.

Robert Scheina.  U.S. Coast Guard Cutters & Craft, 1946-1990.  Annapolis, MD: Naval Institute Press, 1990.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 11/17/2014