Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Historic Light Station Information
& Photography

NEW YORK


AMBROSE LIGHT

Location: APPROACH TO NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1823
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1996
Operational: YES
Automated: YES
Deactivated: NO, see notes below for more detailed information
Foundation Materials: STEEL PILES
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: 
Markings/Pattern: 
Relationship to Other Structure
Original Lens: DCB 36

Historical Information:

  • The original Ambrose "Texas Tower" was placed in operation on 23 August 1967.  The tower was automated in 1988 and was damaged beyond repair by a collision with the oil tanker Aegeo in October, 1996.  The structure was then demolished and replaced with a small light tower/platform.

Photographs:

AMBROSE "TEXAS TOWER" LIGHT STRUCTURE


BARBER'S POINT LIGHT (OLD)

Location: Barber's Point, Lake Champlain, New York
Station Authorized: 1870
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1873
Operational:
Automated: 1935
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape: 
Markings/Pattern: 
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: Fifth-Order Fresnel

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Andy Gray, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


BARCELONA (PORTLAND HARBOR) LIGHT

Location: BARCELONA HARBOR, LAKE ERIE, NEW YORK
Station Established: 1829
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1829
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: 1859
Foundation Materials: NATURAL EMPLACED
Construction Materials: FIELDSTONE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: 11 LAMPS W/14-INCH REFLECTORS 1829

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler-Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


BRADDOCK POINT LIGHT

BOGUS POINT/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1896
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1896
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1954
Deactivated: 1954
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL W/FAUX LANTERN
Markings/Pattern: RED
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD AND HALF ORDER, FRESNEL 1896

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Andy Gray, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

BRADDOCK POINT LIGHT


BUFFALO (MAIN) LIGHT

MOUTH OF BUFFALO RIVER/ERIE CANAL; DIRECTLY ACROSS FROM THE ERIE BASIN MARINA, UNDERNEATH THE SKYWAY IN DOWNTOWN BUFFALO
Station Established: 1818; rebuilt 1833
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1833
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: 1914
Foundation Materials: STONE MOLEHEAD
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE/CAST IRON
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Height:    60-feet
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Characteristics:   
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1857
Foghorn:    None

Historical Information:

This 60-foot tall, octagonal limestone structure is the oldest still standing in its original location in the city of Buffalo. It replaced the original 1818 light on this site along the Lake Erie shore at the mouth of the Buffalo River. Presently, it is part of an outdoor museum located on the grounds of the U.S. Coast Guard Station.

Photographs:

BUFFALO LIGHT


BUFFALO HARBOR NORTH ENTRANCE LIGHT

Historical North Tower

Location: Northern entrance of Buffalo’s Stony Point breakwater.
Station Established: 1903.
Year Original Tower First Lit: 1903
Operational: No
Automated:1960.
Deactivated: Yes, 1985. Tower moved in 1985
Foundation Material: Stone filled crib, concrete pier.
Construction Material: Boiler plate/cast iron.
Tower Shape: Bottle. Measures 10.75 feet at bottom and 2.25 feet at top. Four cast iron port windows and curved iron door.
Tower Height: 29 feet
Markings/Pattern: White
Relationship with Other Structures: Separate
Original Optic: Sixth Order Fresnel
Year Original Optic Installed: 1903
Characteristics: Flashing green visible for 13 miles.
Replacement Optic: 300 mm lens
Year Replacement Optic Installed: 1960
Ownership: Buffalo Lighthouse Association.
Open to the Public: Yes

Current North Tower

Location: Northern entrance of Buffalo’s Stony Point breakwater.
Station Established: Tower constructed in 1985.
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes
Deactivated: No
Foundation Material: concrete breakwater pier.
Construction Material: Pole.
Tower Shape: Pole Light

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

BUFFALO HARBOR NORTH ENTRANCE LIGHT


BUFFALO HARBOR SOUTH ENTRANCE LIGHT

Historical South Tower:

Location: Southern entrance of Buffalo’s Stony Point breakwater near the site of the former Bethlehem Steel mill.
Station Established: September 15, 1903.
Year Original Tower First Lit: 1903
Operational: No.
Automated: Yes, 1935.
Deactivated: Yes, 1993. Original tower inactive.
Foundation Material: Timber crib with concrete pier.
Construction Material: Cast Iron
Tower Height: 43.5 feet
Tower Shape: Cylinder base with a conical midsection with a round lantern room. Black circular outside walkway with railing around lantern room. Glass in lantern room in diamond shape.
Markings/Pattern: original base was colored brown with white midsection and black roof on white lantern room.
Relationship to Other Structure: Adjacent with enclosed passage way to fog signal house. Arched roof on fog signal house.
Original Optic: Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
Focal Plane: 40 feet.
Replacement Optic: 300mm optic attached to tower gallery railing. Replacement optic: removed from lighthouse. Current light on pole.
Open to the public: No

Current South Tower:

Location: Light on pole on breakwater adjacent to original tower.
Year Current Light First Lit: 1993.
Operational: Yes.
Automated: Yes.
Focal plane: 36 feet
Characteristic: Blinking red light from a 300mm plastic optic. Red light on post with orange triangle day marks.
Current use: Active aid to navigation. Open to the public? No
Ownership: U. S. Coast Guard

Historical Information:

Keepers

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.  Source: Larry and Patricia Wright, Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia, Erin, Ontario; Boston Mills Press, 2006

Photographs:  

BUFFALO HARBOR SOUTH ENTRANCE LIGHT


BUFFALO NORTH BREAKWATER SOUTH END LIGHT

RELOCATED FROM NORTH HARBOR ENTRANCE; SITS ON DISPLAY NEAR THE BUFFALO MAIN LIGHT ON THE GROUNDS OF THE COAST GUARD STATION AT THE END OF FUHRMAN BLVD. (BUFFALO WATERFRONT)
Station Established: 1903
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1960
Deactivated: 1985
Foundation Materials: STONE FILLED CRIB
Construction Materials: BOILER PLATE/CAST IRON
Tower Shape: BOTTLE
Height:    29-feet
Markings/Pattern: WHITE
Characteristics:
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1903
Foghorn:  None

Historical Chronology:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


CAPE VINCENT BREAKWATER EAST END LIGHT

Location: Cape Vincent, NY
Station Established: 1900
Year Current Tower First Lit: 1901
Operational:
Automated:
Deactivated: 1934
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape:
Height: 15’
Markings/Pattern: white
Relationship to Other Structure: detached
Original Lens: Fifth order fresnel lens
Appropriation: $5,000

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

CAPE VINCENT BREAKWATER EAST END LIGHT


CAPE VINCENT BREAKWATER WEST END LIGHT

Location: ON BREAKWATER
Station Established: 1901
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1904
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated: 
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White square enclosed structure
Height: 26 feet
Original Lens: Fifth Order
Characteristic: Flashing red, dark sector; illuminated 307 of the horizon; dark sectors lying towards shore (as of 1941)
Fog Signal: None

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


CEDAR ISLAND LIGHT (OLD)

Location: SAG HARBOR, GARDINERS BAY, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Operational: NO
Automated: 1934
Deactivated: 1934
Foundation Materials: MASONRY PIER
Construction Materials: GRANITE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: UNPAINTED GRANITE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER FRESNEL, 1855

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler-Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


COLD SPRING HARBOR LIGHT

RELOCATED TO LONG ISLAND/ORIG. ON POINT OF SHOAL; ENTRANCE TO COLD SPRING HARBOR
Station Established: 1890
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1890
Operational? NO
Automated? UNK
Deactivated: 1965
Foundation Materials: CAST IRON/CONCRETE CAISSON
Construction Materials: ORIG. WOOD
Tower Shape: SKELETAL/ORIG. SQUARE PYRAMIDAL
Height:  35-FOOT TOWER ON A CAISSON, 44 FEET ABOVE SEA LEVEL
Markings/Pattern: ORIG. WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL
Characteristics: Fixed red light

Historical Chronology:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

COLD SPRING HARBOR LIGHT


CONEY ISLAND (NORTONS POINT) LIGHT

NEW YORK HARBOR MAIN CHANNEL
Station Established: 1890
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1920
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1989
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: STEEL PILE
Construction Materials: STEEL
Tower Shape: SKELETAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1890

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Andy Gray, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

CONEY ISLAND LIGHT


COXSACKIE LIGHT

Location: Near Coxsackie, New York on northerly end of the low island on the westerly side of the main channel of the Hudson River.
Station Established: 1830
Year Tower for below building First Lit: 1868
Operational: No
Automated: No
Deactivated: Yes, 1940.
Tower Shape: Red square tower with granite trimmings attached to brick keepers house, which had similar trimmings.
Tower Height: 32 feet.
Foundation Material: Stone.
Construction Material: Brick
Markings/Pattern: Black lantern room.
Original Lens: Sixth Order Fresnel
Characteristic: Fixed white light
Fog Signal: No

Historical Information:

  • Lighthouse was destroyed in 1940.

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

COXSACKIE LIGHT


CROSSOVER ISLAND LIGHT

Location: Chippewa Bay, NY
Station Established: 1847
Year Current Tower First Lit:
Operational:
Automated:
Deactivated: 1941
Foundation Materials: concrete pad with brick lining
Construction Materials: iron, wood
Tower Shape:
Height: 30’
Markings/Pattern: originally brown, changed to white by 1899
Relationship to Other Structure: detached
Original Lens: Fourth order Fresnel lens
Appropriation: $6,000

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

CROSSOVER ISLAND LIGHT


CROWN POINT LIGHT

Location: LAKE CHAMPLAIN
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Historical Information:

In 1858 a light was placed on a 7-acre site at Crown Point, on Lake Champlain, near the historic Grenadier Battery, historic ruins of French and English fortifications.  The base of the tower was 57 feet above water and the focal plane was 86 feet above water level.  A fixed fifth-order, white light was there in 1894.

In 1888 a steamboat wharf had been built to accommodate visitors by water to the fortifications. In 1926 the light was discontinued and the site conveyed to the State of New York.  The States of New York and Vermont, as part of the commemoration of the three hundredth anniversary of the discovery of the lake by Samuel de Champlain, removed the old tower and built in its stead an ornamental cylindrical tower of cut granite blocks, surrounded by eight Doric columns.  On the pedestal is an heroic group in bronze with Champlain as the central figure, presented by the Republic of France.

Photographs:

CROWN POINT LIGHT


CUMBERLAND HEAD LIGHT (OLD)

Location: CUMBERLAND BAY, LAKE CHAMPLAIN, NEAR PLATTSBURG, NEW YORK
Station Established: 1838
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Operational: NO
Automated: YES
Deactivated: 1934
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE/LIMESTONE
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1856

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler-Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

CUMBERLAND HEAD LIGHT


DUNKIRK (POINT GRATIOT) LIGHT

POINT GRATIOT/LAKE ERIE
Station Established: 1826
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1875
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1960
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE
Construction Materials: RUBBLESTONE ENCASED IN BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: UPPER 2/3S WHITE/LOWER NATURAL/RED LANTERN.
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1857

Historical Background:

Researched and written by Andy Gray, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

DUNKIRK LIGHT


DUNKIRK PIERHEAD LIGHT

Location: On a pier at the channel end of the west pier, southwesterly side of the entrance to Dunkirk Harbor, southerly shore of Lake Erie, New York.
Historical Lights
Station Established: 1827.
Year Original Tower First Lit: 1829
Operational: No
Automated: No
Deactivated: Historical lights no longer existing, or relocated.
Tower Shape: Brick (original light), Wood (replacement light) 1895, Square skeletal pyramidal steel tower (1939).
Tower Height: Skeletal tower was 65 feet.
Foundation Material: Stone pier
Construction Material: Markings/Pattern: 1895 light: white tower with white lantern room; 1939 light: skeletal steel tower.
Original Lens: 1857 Sixth Order Fresnel lens
Fog Signal: No

Current Light:

Light Established: 1992
Operational: Yes
Tower Shape: White cylindrical tower with red horizontal band.
Tower Height:
Characteristic: Red flash every 6 seconds
Focal Plane: 35 feet.
Current use: Active aid to navigation.
Open to Public: Grounds only.
Ownership: U.S. Coast Guard

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Ed Shaw, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

1895 DUNKIRK BREAKWATER LIGHT


EAST CHARITY SHOALS LIGHT

Location: Cape Vincent, NY
Station Established: 1929
Year Current Tower First Lit: 1877
Operational: yes
Automated: 1939
Deactivated: N/A
Foundation Materials: concrete
Construction Materials: cast iron
Tower Shape: octagonal
Height: 16’
Markings/Pattern: white with black lantern
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens: fifth order Fresnel lens
Appropriation: $95,125

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

EAST CHARITY SHOALS LIGHT


EATONS NECK LIGHT

EAST SIDE OF HUNTINGTON BAY ENTRANCE, EATONS NECK
Station Established: 1798
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1799
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1968
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: FIELDSTONE W/BRICK LINING
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL PYRAMIDAL
Height: 73 feet
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Characteristics: Fixed white light
Original Lens: 12 Lamps, 13" Reflectors (1838); replaced with Third Order Fresnel

Historical Chronology:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

EATONS NECK LIGHT  WITH THE ORIGINAL KEEPER'S HOUSE

CURRENT EATONS NECK LIGHT STATION


ELM TREE BEACON (SWASH CHANNEL FRONT RANGE LIGHT)

Location: MILLER FIELD, EASTERN SHORE OF STATEN ISLAND, NEW YORK
Station Established: 1856
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1939
Operational: NO
Automated: YES
Deactivated: 1964
Foundation Materials: UNKNOWN
Construction Materials: WOODEN TOWER
Tower Shape: OCTAGANOL
Markings/Pattern: BOTTOM AND TOP OF TOWER WHITE, MIDDLE RED
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER LENS

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler-Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

ELM TREE BEACON LIGHT WITH WOODEN TOWER

ELM TREE BEACON, 1939 CONCRETE STRUCTURE


ESOPUS MEADOWS (MIDDLE HUDSON RIVER) LIGHT

WEST SIDE OF HUDSON RIVER
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1872
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1965
Deactivated: 1965
Foundation Materials: GRANITE PIER
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL ON SQUARE HOUSE
Height: 52 feet (1871 light)
Markings/Pattern: WHITE HOUSE W/RED MANSARD ROOF
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1872

Historical Chronology:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

ESOPUS MEADOWS LIGHT


EXECUTION ROCKS LIGHT

WEST END LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1849
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1850
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1979
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: GRANITE W/BRICK LINING
Height: 60 feet tall with a focal plane of 62 feet
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE WITH BROWN BAND MIDWAY
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Characteristics: Flash every 10 seconds
Original Lens: Fourth Order Fresnel, 1856

Historical Chronology:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

EXECUTION ROCKS LIGHT


FAIRHAVEN RANGE LIGHTS

Location: Sterling, NY
Station Established: 1872
Year Current Tower First Lit:
Operational: no
Automated:
Deactivated: 1943
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials:
Tower Shape: Square pyramidal tower at end of pier
Height:
Markings/Pattern:
Relationship to Other Structure:
Original Lens:
Appropriation: $9,900 for keeper’s house

Historical Information:

Hallie A. Sweeting, Historian for the Town of Sterling, put together the information included in this bio.
Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

FAIRHAVEN OUTER BREAKWATER LIGHT


FIRE ISLAND LIGHT

FIRE ISLAND INLET, LONG ISLAND, NEW YORK
Station Established: 1826
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Operational: YES
Automated: YES 1986
Deactivated: 1974-1986
Foundation Materials: GRANITE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: BRICK ENCASED IN CEMENT
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: FOUR BLACK AND WHITE BANDS
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FIRST ORDER FRESNEL LENS, 1856

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Melissa Buckler-Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

FIRE ISLAND LIGHT


FORT NIAGARA LIGHT

Location: Youngstown, NY
Station Established: 1781
Year Current Tower First Lit: 1781
Operational: no
Automated:
Deactivated: 1993
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials: limestone brick
Tower Shape: octagonal
Height: 70’
Markings/Pattern: natural color of limestone brick
Relationship to Other Structure: detached
Original Lens:
Appropriation:

Historical Information:

Researched and written by Jamie Smith, a volunteer through the Chesapeake Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society.

Photographs:

FORT NIAGARA LIGHT


FORT TOMPKINS LIGHT

Location: ON STATEN ISLAND, WESTERLY SIDE OF THE NARROWS, NEW YORK, NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1828
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1873
Operational: No
Automated: N/A
Deactivated: 1903
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Tower on white dwelling with Mansard roof; lantern, black.
Height: 40-feet
Original Lens: Fourth Order (as of 1900)
Characteristic: Flashing alternately red and white, interval between flashes 10 seconds
Fog Signal: 

Photographs:

FORT TOMPKINS LIGHT


FORT WADSWORTH LIGHT

Location: EAST VERRAZANO NARROWS
Station Established: 1903
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Operational? NO
Automated?  n/a
Deactivated: 1965
Foundation Materials: BRICK (FORT WALLS)
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: CYLINDRICAL
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1903

Photographs:

FORT WADSWORTH LIGHT


GALLOO ISLAND LIGHT

Location: SW END OF ISLAND IN LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1820
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1867
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1963
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: GRAY LIMESTONE W/BRICK LINING
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL

Photographs:

GALLOO ISLAND LIGHT


GENESEE (CHARLOTTE-GENESEE / ROCHESTER) LIGHT

Location: 
Station Established: 1822
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1853
Operational: No
Automated: N/A
Deactivated: 1881
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 40-feet
Original Lens: 10 Argand lamps (1823); Fourth Order, Fresnel (1853)
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

GENESEE LIGHT


GENESEE EAST PIER LIGHT (ROCHESTER HARBOR)

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

GENESEE EAST PIER LIGHT


GENESEE NORTH PIER LIGHT (ROCHESTER HARBOR)

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

GENESEE NORTH PIER LIGHT


HORTON POINT LIGHT

EASTERN LONG ISLAND - NORTH SIDE, NEAR SOUTHOLD
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1857
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1933
Deactivated: 1933-1990
Foundation Materials: GRANITE
Construction Materials: STUCCO/BRICK/GRANITE
Tower Shape: SQUARE ATTACHED TO RECTANGULAR HOUSE
Tower Height: 58 feet
Focal Plane: 103 feet
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN/COPPER DOME
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1857
Characteristic: Slow green flash every 10 seconds.

Historical Information:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

HORTON POINT LIGHT


HUDSON-ATHENS (HUDSON CITY) LIGHT

MIDDLE GROUND FLATS/HUDSON RIVER
Station Established: 1874
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1949
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE CAISSON
Construction Materials: DRESSED STONE/BRICK
Height: 30 feet; focal plane 46 feet
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1926; Current light 300 mm.
Foghorn: Fog bell mechanism; 15 second intervals 

Historical Information:

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

HUDSON-ATHENS LIGHT


HUNTINGTON HARBOR LIGHT (FORMERLY LLOYD HARBOR)

HUNTINGTON BAY
Station Established: 1857
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1912
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1949
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CAST REINFORCED CONCRETE CRIB
Construction Materials: CAST REINFORCED CONCRETE
Tower Shape: SQUARE "CASTLE" (BEAUX ART)
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1912

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


JEFFREYS HOOK LIGHT

HUDSON RIVER/GEORGE WASHINGTON BRIDGE
Light first lit: 1889
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1895
Operational? NO
Automated? n/a
Deactivated: 1948

Photographs:

JEFFREYS HOOK LIGHT


LATIMER REEF LIGHT

FISHERS ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1804
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1884
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1974
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CAST IRON/CONCRETE CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON/BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE TOWER/BROWN BAND MIDWAY/BROWN BASE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1884

Photographs:

LATIMER REEF LIGHT


LITTLE GULL ISLAND LIGHT

OFF FISHER'S ISLAND/LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1806
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1869
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1978
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE PIER
Construction Materials: GRANITE
Tower Shape: CONICAL TOWER
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER, FRESNEL 1869

Photographs:

ORIGINAL LITTLE GULL ISLAND LIGHT TOWER

MODERN LITTLE GULL ISLAND LIGHT TOWER


LLOYD HARBOR LIGHT

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

LLOYD HARBOR LIGHT


LONG BEACH BAR LIGHT

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

LONG BEACH BAR LIGHT


MONTAUK POINT LIGHT

TURTLE HILL/EAST END OF LONG ISLAND
Station Established: 1796
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1797
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1987
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: SANDSTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL PYRAMIDAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BROWN BAND MIDWAY & BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: 13 WHALE OIL LAMPS (1797)

Photographs:

MONTAUK POINT LIGHT


NEW DORP (SWASH CHANNEL REAR RANGE) LIGHT

STATEN ISLAND/LOWER NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1856
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1856
Operational? NO
Automated? UNK
Deactivated: 1964
Foundation Materials: BRICK
Construction Materials: WOOD
Tower Shape: SQUARE ON CENTER OF DWELLING
Markings/Pattern: WHITE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER, FRESNEL 1856

Historical Information:

  • This was the Swash Channel Rear Range Light, the front range light was the Elm Tree Beacon
Photographs:

NEW DORP LIGHT


NORTH BROTHER LIGHT

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

NORTH BROTHER LIGHT


NORTH DUMPLING LIGHT

FISHERS ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1849
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1959
Deactivated: 1959
Foundation Materials: WOOD PILINGS/STONE
Construction Materials: BRICK/WOOD SHINGLE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1871

Photographs:

NORTH DUMPLING LIGHT


OAK ORCHARD LIGHT

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

OAK ORCHARD LIGHT


OGDENSBURG HARBOR LIGHT

LIGHT POINT/ST. LAWRENCE RIVER/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1834
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1900
Operational? NO
Automated? UNK
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials: STONE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE & GRAY W/RED LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens:

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


OLD FIELD POINT LIGHT

LONG ISLAND NORTH SHORE
Station Established: 1823
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1933
Deactivated: 1933-1991
Foundation Materials: STONE
Construction Materials: WOOD TOWER ON GRANITE HOUSE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: BLACK/ORIG. WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1855

Photographs:

OLD FIELD POINT LIGHT


OLD ORCHARD SHOAL LIGHT

GEDNEY CHANNEL/LOWER NY BAY
Station Established: 1893
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1893
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1955
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL "SPARK PLUG"
Markings/Pattern: LOWER BROWN/UPPER WHITE ON BLACK PIER
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1893

Historical Information:

Photographs:

OLD ORCHARD SHOAL LIGHT


ORIENT POINT LIGHT

OYSTER POND REEF/PLUM GUT/LONG ISLAND
Station Established: 1899
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1899
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1954
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CAST IRON CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON PLATE W/BRICK LINING
Tower Shape: CONICAL "SPARK PLUG"
Markings/Pattern: BROWN TOWER WITH WHITE BAND MIDWAY
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1899

Photographs:

ORIENT POINT LIGHT


OSWEGO HARBOR WEST PIERHEAD LIGHT

MOUTH OF OSWEGO RIVER/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1822
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1934
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1968
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE/RUBBLE CRIB/PIER
Construction Materials: STEEL/CAST IRON
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/RED TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL

Photographs:

OSWEGO HARBOR WEST PIERHEAD LIGHT


PLATTSBURG BEACON 

Location: 
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Photographs:

PLATTSBURG BEACON


PLUM ISLAND (PLUM GUT) LIGHT

LONG ISLAND SOUND/GARDINER'S BAY
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1870
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1978
Deactivated: 1978
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: GRANITE DWELLING/WOOD TOWER
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1856

Photographs:

PLUM ISLAND LIGHT


POINT AUX ROCHES LIGHT

LAKE CHAMPLAIN
Station Established: 1858
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1989
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE BLOCKS
Construction Materials: BLUE LIMESTONE BLOCK
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER, FRESNEL

Photographs:

POINT AUX ROCHES LIGHT


PORT OF GENESEE (CHARLOTTE-GENESSE) LIGHT

GENESEE RIVER/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1822
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1822
Operational? NO
Automated? NO
Deactivated: 1881-1992
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: RUBBLE STONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: 10 ARGAND LAMPS W/REFLECTORS 1822

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


PORTLAND HARBOR (BARCELONA) LIGHT

Location: SOUTH SHORE OF LAKE ERIE
Station Established: 
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 
Operational: 
Automated: 
Deactivated:
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: 
Height: 
Original Lens: 
Characteristic:
Fog Signal:

Historical Information:

  • Congress appropriated $5,000 on May 23, 1828, "for building a lighthouse at a proper site, at or near Portland, on Lake Erie, in the State of New York."  The site was purchased for $50 and contract was made to erect a lighthouse and dwelling which cost $3,456.78.  The first keeper appointed May 27, 1829, was Joshua Lane, a "deaf, superannuated clergyman, having numerous female dependents" whose salary was $350 per annum.
  • The first light apparatus was described in the contract as 11 patent lamps with 11 14 inch reflectors and 2 spare lamps.  There were double tin oil butts for 500 gallons of oil. No mention was made at that time of equipment for burning natural gas.
  • On January 1, 1831, a contract was made to provide the light with natural gas "at all times and seasons" and to keep the apparatus and fixtures in repair at an annual cost of $213.  This was described at the time as follows:
  • The Lighthouse at Portland Harbor in the County of Chautauqua and State of New York, is now illuminated, in the most splendid style, by "natural carburetted hydrogen gas.Ever since the first settlement of the country about Portland, it has been known that an inflammable gas constantly issued from the fissures of a rock, which forms the bed of a little brook that empties into Lake Erie, near the harbor, in such quantity as to be easily set on fire by applying a flame to it.  This fountain of gas was known to the early settlers of the country by the name of the 'burning spring.’  No valuable use, however, was made of this gas until Mr. W. A. Hart, an ingenious gunsmith of the village of Fredonia, and some other young mechanics, five or six years ago, collected a quantity of similar gas from the rocky bed of Canadaway creek in a reservoir, and conveyed it from thence to all the principal stores, taverns, and shops in the said village, where it is still used instead of lamps.
  • In the fall of 1829, on completion of the lighthouse at Portland Harbor, several persons associated together for the purpose of conveying the gas from the "burning spring" to the lighthouse.  They dug into the rock at the place where the largest quantity of gas was found, in the form of a common well, about 40 or 50 feet in diameter and 3 feet deep.  Over this well they erected a cone of solid mason work, so tight as to contain the gas which should collect within it, and at the same time exclude the water around it.  They inserted a pipe at the base of the cone; bent down the end toward the bottom of the well; and then extended the pipe along on the bed of the brook to its termination below the dam.  From that point it was conducted by pipes buried in the ground the distance of 230 rods to the lighthouse.
  • A stand of lamps adapted to the reception, emission, and burning of the gas was next invented and constructed by Mr. Hart.  These consisted of several horizontal arms extended like the radii of a semicircle, at the end of each of which a brass pipe was attached.  The quantity of gas consumed by each burner was regulated by a stopcock. Each burner had a large and suitable reflector.  There were two tiers of these lamps, seven on the lower tier and six in the upper, interspaced so that, when viewed from the lake at night, the whole tower represented one complete, constant and unwavering blaze.
  • "Altogether," the account continues "this is one of the greatest natural, philosophical and mechanical curiosities which the country can produce.  As a light for a lighthouse it exceeds, both in quantity and brilliancy, anything of the kind I ever saw.
  • In November 1838 it was reported, however, that "Owing to a failure of gas, that may be attributed to the excessive draught, oil is now substituted. It is presumed, however, that the fall rains will replenish the stream from which the fountain is supplied, and thus prevent the escape and loss of the gas.
  • In 1851 the report read: "We have one lighthouse at Portland on Lake Erie, lighted with natural gas, carried a distance of 2 miles in pipes to the tower; and even here we are obliged to keep oil and lamps, as water frequently collects in the pipes, over which the gas will not pass, and whilst they are being taken up and freed from water, oil light has to be used.  We have a contract for supplying this gas at the annual cost of the oil which would be required, if lighted with that material.
  • The Portland Harbor (Barcelona) Light was discontinued in 1859 and in 1872 the buildings were sold to the highest bidder.
Photographs:

PORTLAND HARBOR LIGHT


PRINCES BAY LIGHT (OLD)

STATEN ISLAND/LOWER NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1828
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1828
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1922
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BROWNSTONE BLOCKS
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD AND ONE HALF, FRESNEL 1857

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


RACE ROCK LIGHT

ENTRANCE TO LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1879
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1879
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1978
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE/CONCRETE CAISSON/PIER
Construction Materials: GRANITE
Tower Shape: SQUARE/OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/WHITE LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1879

Historical Information:

  • Race Rock Lighthouse, in Long Island Sound, 8 miles from New London, Conn., was built under great difficulties.  The builder was Captain Scott. His engineer was F. Hopkinson Smith, who later became famous as a writer of lighthouse stories. Race Rock Lighthouse is off Fisher’s Island Sound, at the mouth of the Race, where the waters of the Sound rush both ways, according to the tide, with great velocity and force, and where, in heavy weather, the waves run high.  By 1837 eight vessels had been lost in 8 years on Race Point reef.   In 1838 Congress appropriated $3,000 for erecting a lighthouse at Race Rock but the money was never expended. In 1852 the Lighthouse Board reported: "Various efforts have been made, and numerous appropriations expended, in endeavoring to place an efficient and permanent mark on this point. Buoys cannot be kept on it, and spindles have hitherto only remained until the breaking up of the ice in the spring." In 1853 $7,000 was appropriated "for a beacon on Race Rock."  This took the form of a daybeacon completed in 1856.
  • In 1854 Congress appropriated $8,000 for a lighthouse but only $1,600 of this was spent, mostly in surveys. In 1869 $90,000 was appropriated "for a lighthouse at or near Race Point, Fisher’s Island, Long Island Sound."  After preliminary surveys costing $6,52857, an additional appropriation of $10,000 was made in 1870, after the Board had estimated that $200,000 would be required to build the lighthouse.  In 1871 $150,000 more was provided by Congress.
  • Construction of the riprap foundation began in April 1871.  In all 10,000 tons of granite were used in the foundation.  "The proposals for the construction of the foundation and pier of this structure were so excessive in rates" the Board reported in 1872, "and so much above the amount of the appropriation on hand ($95,539.66 had been expended out of $261,000 appropriated to June 10, 1872) that no more than the landing and the enrockment of the foundation, and two courses of the pier, could be contracted for."
  • In 1873 Congress appropriated a further $75,000 and the lighthouse was completed at an additional expenditure of $175,048.09 between 1873 and 1878.  The total cost of the lighthouse was $278,716.33.
  • The ledge on which the lighthouse is built is under water and three-fourths mile from Race Point Reef. It has one large and several smaller spurs of rock rising above the general surface.  The least depth at mean low water on the principal spur or Race Rock proper, is 3 feet.  The greatest depth at mean low water, within the circle of 69 feet, is 13 feet.
  • The ledge was, with the help of divers, made approximately level with small broken stone and riprap.  Upon this was placed a circular-stepped mass of concrete, 9 feet thick, built in 4 concentric layers.  The lower layer is 69 feet in diameter and 3 feet thick.  To form the layers of concrete, cylindrical bands of half inch iron, of the height and diameter required for the respective layers, were used.  The upper surface of the concrete, 8 inches above mean low water, carries a conical pier, 30 feet high, 57 feet in diameter at the base, and crowned by a projecting coping 55 feet in diameter.  The pier is made of heavy masonry backed with concrete, in which cisterns and cellars are located.
  • The pier is surmounted by a granite dwelling one story and a half high.  From the center of its front the granite light tower ascends. A  landing-pier, 53 feet long and 25 feet wide, built of heavy masonry, gives access to the lighthouse.  The whole structure is surrounded and protected by riprap. T he tower, which is square at the base and octagonal at the top, carries a fourth-order alternating flash white and red electric light of 90,000 candlepower, being 67 feet above sea level and 45 feet above land, and visible 14 miles at sea.
Photographs:

RACE ROCK LIGHT


ROBBINS REEF LIGHT

WEST SIDE MAIN CHANNEL/UPPER NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1839
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1883
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1966
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: LOWER BROWN/UPPER WHITE ON NATURAL BASE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1883

Photographs:

ROBBINS REEF LIGHT


ROCK ISLAND LIGHT

ST. LAWRENCE RIVER/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1848
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1882
Operational? NO
Automated? UNK
Deactivated: 1930s
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE/LIMESTONE
Construction Materials: CAST IRON/BRICK
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER

Photographs:

ROCK ISLAND LIGHT


RONDOUT CREEK (KINGSTON) LIGHT

KINGSTON POINT/HUDSON RIVER
Station Established: 1838
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1915
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1954
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE PIER W/WOOD PILES
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: YELLOW BRICK W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1915

Photographs:

RONDOUT CREEK LIGHT


SACKETTS HARBOR (HORSE ISLAND) LIGHT

LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1831
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1870
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1957
Deactivated: 1870
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL

Photographs:

SACKETTS HARBOR LIGHT


SANDS POINT LIGHT (OLD)

LONG ISLAND
Station Established: 1809
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1809
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1922
Foundation Materials: BROWNSTONE
Construction Materials: BROWNSTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: UNPAINTED MASONRY W/FAUX LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: 11 LAMPS, 9" REFLECTORS (1809)

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


SAUGERTIES LIGHT

HUDSON RIVER AT ESOPUS CREEK
Station Established: 1836
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1869
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1954
Deactivated: 1954-1990
Foundation Materials: GRANITE BLOCK CRIB
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER

Photographs:

SAUGERTIES LIGHT


SELKIRK (SALMON RIVER) LIGHT

SALMON RIVER ENTRANCE/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1838
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1838
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1989
Deactivated: 1859-1989
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: WOOD TOWER ON FIELDSTONE HOUSE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: RED TOWER W/SILVER LANTERN ON HOUSE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: 8 LAMPS 14" REFLECTORS (1838)

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


SHINNECOCK (PONQUOGUE) LIGHT

Location: ON PONQUOGUE POINT, NORTHERLY SIDE OF SHINNECOCK BAY, LONG ISLAND, 1 MILE FROM LINE OF SEABEACH, AND ABOUT MIDWAY BETWEEN MONTAUK POINT AND FIRE ISLAND LIGHT-STATIONS, SEACOAST OF NEW YORK
Station Established: 1857
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1858
Operational: No
Automated: No
Deactivated: 1931 (demolished in 1948)
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Red-brick tower, with drab dwelling attached.
Height: 168 feet
Original Lens: First Order, Fresnel
Characteristic: Fixed white (1901)
Fog Signal: None

Photographs:

SHINNECOCK LIGHT; Photo dated 18 July 1945; Photo No. NA998.


SODUS OUTER LIGHT

Location: ON NORTH END OF WEST PIER, ENTRANCE TO GREAT SODUS BAY
Station Established: 1858
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1938
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes
Deactivated: N/A
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Square pyramidal tower, brown below, white above
Height: 49-feet
Original Lens: Fourth Order (1938)
Characteristic: Group flashing white, 10 seconds, 2 flashes (1938)
Fog Signal: Horn, diaphragm, air; group of 2 blasts every 30 seconds, blast 1.5 seconds, silent 2 seconds, blast 1.5 seconds, silent 25 seconds

Photographs:

SODUS OUTER LIGHT, WOODEN TOWER

SODUS OUTER LIGHT, 1938 TOWER


SODUS POINT LIGHT

SODUS BAY/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1825
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1871
Operational? NO
Automated? YES
Deactivated: 1901
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER 1871

Photographs:

SODUS POINT LIGHT


SOUTH BUFFALO SOUTH SIDE LIGHT

Location: ON BREAKWATER, SOUTH SIDE OF MAIN SOUTH ENTRANCE TO BUFFALO HARBOR
Station Established: 1903
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1903
Operational: Yes
Automated: Yes, 1935
Deactivated: N/A
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Lower part brown, cylindrical; upper part white, conical; brown fog-signal house adjoining
Height: 53 feet above low water mark
Original Lens: Fourth Order (1903); 300mm (currently)
Characteristic: Group flashing white alternate flashing red, 30 seconds, 2 white, 1 red flashes; each flash 1 second, eclipse 9 seconds
Fog Signal: Diaphone, two-tone air; blast 3 seconds, silent 27 seconds

Photographs:

SOUTH BUFFALO SOUTH SIDE LIGHT; photo dated 1949.


SPLIT ROCK POINT LIGHT (OLD)

WHALLON BAY/LAKE CHAMPLAIN
Station Established: 1838
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1867
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1928
Deactivated: 1928
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE ON STONE MOLEHEAD
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/RED & WHITE TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1857

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


STATEN ISLAND (REAR RANGE) LIGHT

RICHMOND HILL/STATEN ISLAND
Station Established: 1909
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1912
Operational? YES
Automated? YES
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GREY LIMESTONE
Construction Materials: YELLOW BRICK
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SECOND ORDER RANGE

Photographs:

STATEN ISLAND REAR RANGE LIGHT


STEPPING STONES LIGHT

OUTER EDGE OF REEF/LONG ISLAND SOUND
Station Established: 1877
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1877
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1967
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: GRANITE/CONCRETE PIER
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: RED BRICK/GRANITE TRIM, B/W LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1877

Keepers:
  • Finlay Fraser: (1877-Sept. 1879)
  • James G. Scott: (less than 1 year; Fraser's former assistant keeper--Assistant Keeper position then eliminated)
  • William McGloin: (Irish; June 1880-Nov 1886)
  • Cornelius Douglass: (Nov 1886-Sept 1895)
  • Elmer E. Gildersleeve: (Sep 1895-Dec 1902)
  • Charles Redfern: (Dec 1902-April 1910)
  • Ernest Bloom: (1912)
Photographs:

STEPPING STONES LIGHT


STONEY POINT (HENDERSON) LIGHT (OLD)

HENDERSON BAY/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1826
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1869
Operational? NO
Automated?    ??
Deactivated: 1945
Foundation Materials:
Construction Materials: BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER FRESNEL

Photographs:

STONEY POINT LIGHT


STONY POINT LIGHT

HUDSON RIVER
Station Established: 1826
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1826
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1973
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials: SURFACE ROCK
Construction Materials: FIELDSTONE
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: 8 PATENT LAMPS, 12" REFLECTORS 1826

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


STUYVESANT LIGHT

Location: ON THE EASTERLY SIDE OF THE HUDSON RIVER, ABOUT 1-1/2 MILES NORTHERLY OF STUYVESANT LANDING AND OPPOSITE THE HEAD OF BRONX ISLAND
Station Established: 1829
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1868
Operational: No
Automated: N/A
Deactivated: 1933
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Red square tower in southwesterly angle of red dwelling, on granite pier; lantern, black.  Old dwelling near (as of 1901).
Height: 32-feet
Original Lens: Sixth Order
Characteristic: Fixed red
Fog Signal: None

Photographs:

STUYVESANT LIGHT


SUNKEN ROCK LIGHT

BUSH ISLAND/ST. LAWRENCE RIVER
Station Established: 1847
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1884
Operational? YES
Automated? YES
Deactivated:
Foundation Materials: STONE ON REEF
Construction Materials: BRICK SHEATHED W/WHITE BOARDS
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/GREEN LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: SIXTH ORDER FRESNEL

Photographs:

SUNKEN ROCK LIGHT


TARRYTOWN (KINGSLAND POINT) LIGHT

HUDSON RIVER SOUTH OF KINGSLAND
Station Established: 1883
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1883
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1957
Deactivated: 1961
Foundation Materials: STONE PIER/CAST IRON CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK TRIM & RED BASE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1883NAME OF LIGHT: Tarrytown (Kingsland Point) Light 
LOCATION: Kingsland Point Park, Sleepy Hollow, NY
DATE BUILT: 1882 - 1883
HEIGHT: 56 feet (height of focal plane), 60 feet (top of lighthouse)
CHARACTERISTICS: fourth order Fresnel (1883) 
FOGHORN: Bell

Historical Chronology:

  • 1883, October 1: Light was first lit with Jacob Ackerman as the first keeper.
  • 1957:  Light was automated; its flashing red light was reduced from 7000 to1500 candle power.
  • 1958:  Building of the Tappan Zee Bridge made the lighthouse obsolete.
  • 1965:  The light was decommissioned.
  • 1974:  Westchester County acquired the lighthouse.
  • 1979:  Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Late 1970's: The footbridge connecting the shore to the tower was built. Over time, landfills had filled in the shoreline within feet of the tower.
  • 2002:  Occasional tours of the lighthouse are available from the Westchester County Department of Parks

Chronology was researched and written by Diane Hackney.

Photographs:

TARRYTOWN LIGHT


THIRTY MILE POINT LIGHT (OLD)

LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1875
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1875
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1959
Deactivated: 1959-1998
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE BLOCK
Construction Materials: LIMESTONE
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/WHITE, BLACK & RED LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: ATTACHED
Original Lens: THIRD ORDER, FRESNEL 1875

Photographs:

THIRTY MILE POINT LIGHT


THREE SISTERS ISLAND LIGHT

ST. LAWRENCE RIVER
Station Established: 1870
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1870
Operational? NO
Automated?
Deactivated: 1950s
Foundation Materials: LIMESTONE BLOCK ON ROCK REEF
Construction Materials: DRESSED LIMESTONE BRICK
Tower Shape: SQUARE
Markings/Pattern: NATURAL W/WHITE TRIM
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens:

NO PHOTOGRAPH AVAILABLE


THROGS NECK LIGHT

Location: ON THE NORTHEASTERLY SIDE OF FORT SCHUYLER, SOUTHEASTERLY END OF THROGS NECK AND ON THE NORTHERLY SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE FROM LONG ISLAND SOUND INTO THE EAST RIVER
Station Established: 1827
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1906
Operational: No
Automated: No
Deactivated: 1934
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: White, square, pyramidal, skeleton iron tower; lantern, black (1890); Red brick cylindrical tower (1906)
Height: 64-1/4-feet (1890); 35-feet (1906)
Original Lens: Fifth Order (1890); Fourth Order (1906)
Characteristic: Fixed white
Fog Signal: Bell struck by machinery every 15 seconds

Historical Information:

  • Original wooden lighthouse established in 1827.  It was torn down during the construction of the fort.
  • A new wooden tower replaced the original lighthouse in 1835.  It remained in service until 1890.
  • Replaced by a skeletal tower in 1890.
  • An oil house was built in 1896.
  • Skeletal tower replaced in 1906 with a 35-foot red brick tower.  It's location was 700 feet southwest of the old light.
  • Light discontinued in 1934 and replaced by a small skeleton tower surmounted with a small signal lamp.

Photographs:

1890 THROGS NECK LIGHT TOWER

1934 THROGS NECK LIGHT


TIBBETTS POINT LIGHT

ST. LAWRENCE RIVER/LAKE ONTARIO
Station Established: 1827
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1854
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1981
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: NATURAL/EMPLACED
Construction Materials: BRICK/STUCCO
Tower Shape: CONICAL
Markings/Pattern: WHITE W/BLACK LANTERN
Relationship to Other Structure: SEPARATE
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1854

Photographs:

TIBBETTS POINT LIGHT


VALCOUR ISLAND (BLUFF POINT) LIGHT

VALCOUR ISLAND/LAKE CHAMPLAIN
Station Established: 1874
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1874
Operational? NO
Automated? YES 1930
Deactivated: 1930
Foundation Materials: DRESSED STONE/TIMBER
Construction Materials: BLUE LIMESTONE/WOOD
Tower Shape: OCTAGONAL
Markings/Pattern: RED/WHITE TOWER ON SQUARE HOUSE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FIFTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1874

Photographs:

VALCOUR ISLAND LIGHT


WEST BANK (RANGE FRONT) LIGHT

AMBROSE CHANNEL/LOWER NEW YORK BAY
Station Established: 1901
Year Current Tower(s) First Lit: 1901
Operational? YES
Automated? YES 1985
Deactivated: n/a
Foundation Materials: CONCRETE/CAST IRON CAISSON
Construction Materials: CAST IRON
Tower Shape: CONICAL "SPARK PLUG"
Markings/Pattern: BROWN ON BLACK BASE
Relationship to Other Structure: INTEGRAL
Original Lens: FOURTH ORDER, FRESNEL 1901

Photographs:

WEST BANK RANGE FRONT LIGHT


WHITESTONE POINT POST LIGHT

Location: ON WHITESTONE POINT, SOUTHERLY SIDE OF EAST RIVER    
Station Established: 1889
Year Current / Last Tower(s) First Lit: 1889
Operational: Yes
Automated: N/A 
Deactivated: N/A
Tower Shape / Markings / Pattern: Square pyramidal frame tower on piers; lower part, white; upper, wood-color (1889); black skeleton tower (post-1915)
Height: 20-feet
Original Lens: Lens lantern
Characteristic: Fixed white
Fog Signal: Bell struck by machinery a double blow every 30 seconds

Photographs:

THE 1889 WHITESTONE POINT LIGHT; Original caption: "Whitestone Point [;] 225 ft. Southwest."; 30 November 1915; No photo number; photo by "Yates."


Last Modified 11/18/2014