Located in southwestern Michigan on the north side entrance to St. Joseph River, Station St. Joseph is the home of 24 active duty crewmembers, Eight reservists and one chocolate Lab named Roscoe. Auxiliary Flotilla 18-10 supports the station throughout the boating season and members from multiple Flotillas fully staff the S. Haven MI AUX SARDET from May through September. Station St. Joseph is a challenging and rewarding unit with a strong sense of pride and accomplishment.
Originally established in 1874 and renovated in 1997, this station houses a 47’ MLB, a 23’ UTL and a 14’ Ice Skiff. A new Homeland Security “Defender Class” 25’ RBS will replace the 23’ UTL within the following year. Living up to the Coast Guards’ motto of “Semper Paratus”, the station patrols an AOR of approximately 850 square miles of lake Michigan and on average prosecutes 175 SAR cases, conducts 350-400 law enforcement boarding’s and enforces the permanent security zones for two nuclear power plants.
Some of the great things about St. Joseph are the community events. For example, back in 1979 St. Joseph residents decided to plan a summer festival and decided the event should be focused on the waterfront. They took the name Venetian from the famed lighted boat parades in Venice Italy. Thus the Venetian Festival, and its signature events, was born. Staying close with the community, Station St. Joseph has participated in the three of the last four Lighted Boat Parades. Festival watchers estimate that the four day annual event now draws somewhere in the neighborhood of 200,000 plus spectators and participants.