In 1878 lifeboat stations was authorized for Ludington. The Coast Guard has been standing watch for mariners in distress throughout the region ever since. The Station’s primary area of responsibility from Big Sable Point to Stoney Lake and provides rescue for an overall operational area of approximately 35 nautical miles of coastline encompassing 1,050 square miles. A new station building, 4,200 square foot facility, was built and commissioned in April 2004. With a crew complement of fifteen active duty, four reservists, and more than twenty Auxiliary members (Auxiliary Flotilla 20-06), the station handles approximately 100 Search and Rescue cases per year and over 150 boardings. Station Ludington is located at the center of the eastern shoreline of Lake Michigan, making it one of the more popular ports for salmon fishing. Ludington also has one of the largest fleets of charter boats in Michigan, a fleet of Native American fishing boats and the M/V Badger.
COAST GUARD SECTOR LAKE
2420 S. Lincoln Memorial Dr., Milwaukee, WI. 53207
Site constructed by: LTJG Christopher D. Meyer, Sector Lake Michigan