ATLANTIC CITY, NEW JERSEY
U.S. Coast Guard Station Atlantic City
900 Beach Thorofare
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
"To provide assistance and enforcement to customers of the maritime community, protecting the people, their assets and the environment in an efficient, effective and responsible manner."
The first Coast Guard station, then called a Lifesaving Saving Station, was constructed in Atlantic City in 1849 and was located at Pacific and Connecticut Avenues. Over the next 150 years the station was moved twice, and since 1938 has been prominently located at the junction of Clam Creek and Absecon Inlet. At the time of its dedication, the unit was purported to be the largest Life Boat Station in existence.
The Station is crewed by 52 active duty men and women, as well as 22 enlisted reservists. The unit draws support from 5 Coast Guard Auxiliary Flotillas.
The unit provides Search and Rescue, Law Enforcement and Environmental Protection for a area of approximately 250 square miles of ocean, backbays and inlets. It does so with 5 rescue craft. Two of the craft are 21' SafeBoat's and one 23' SafeBoat. The other two are a 41' Utility Boat (UTB) and a 47' Motor Life Boat (MLB).
The unit also operates a seasonal rescue station Station Great Egg in nearby Ocean City, NJ. Together the units conduct approximately 400 search and rescue cases a year.