Skip Navigation


Security Levels

Vehicle and Driver License

Driver's License Requirements
On Guam, active duty service members are exempt from obtaining a Guam driver’s license so long as they retain a valid license from their home state.  However, their dependents must obtain a local driver’s license within 30 days of arrival to Guam.
The following documents are required to apply for a Guam Driver’s License:
   Valid stateside or territory driver’s license
   Valid ID (Passport, Military ID, Green Card, Guam ID, Stateside ID, Firearm’s ID, Naturalization Certificate)
   U.S. Social Security Card or Social Security Certification from the Social Security Office
Within 30 days of arriving, family members with a valid driver’s license from one of the 50 United States or United States territory  must also get a Guam drivers license by presenting their driver's license, a picture ID (other than the driver’s license), and the original U.S. Social Security Card (issued by Social Security Office) at Guam Revenue and Taxation.  (The Military Spouse Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) does not exempt or override dependents from having to adhere to this rule.)  The dependent having all these documents will surrender their valid license (which will be returned with a hole punched at the expiration year); complete the driver’s license application form, have their picture taken, and pay a fee of $25.00 for a valid Guam driver’s license.  This license is valid for four years.  (A higher fee can be paid for a five year license.)
For those who are not staying in Guam for over a year but longer than 30 days, there is the option of an extension that will allow one to keep their out-of-state license longer, for a fee of $25 which will have to be submitted and paid for at the Guam Revenue and Taxation office in Barrigada.
Call the Department of Motor Vehicles Driver’s License Branch at (671)635-1761/2 or (671)635-7651 (driver’s license exam).  Also, you can go to their website: and download the form.  Hours of operation are:  Monday – Friday (except holidays) 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Obtaining a Guam Driver's License
    Active Duty Military Member with a valid driver’s license:
Active duty military personnel assigned on Guam are not required to get a Guam license if their current license from one of the 50 United States or a United States territory is valid.
    Active Duty Military Member without a valid driver’s license:
Follow procedures for First Time Driver over 18 years of age.
    Spouse or Dependent with a valid driver’s license:
o   A valid driver's license from any of the 50 U.S. States or U.S. territories may be  used for up to 30 days after arriving on Guam
o   Must be at least 18 years of age
o   Present a valid form of identification
o   Complete a Driver's License Application Form 
o   Pass Vision Test
o   No Written or Road test is required
o   Social Security Card – original or certification from Social Security office
Individuals who have NEVER been licensed to drive must attend and successfully complete a defensive driver course before registering to take the written test.  Once a certificate of completion has been obtained, the unlicensed driver must report to the Motor Vehicle Division with a licensed driver to register for the written test. If a minor, parents need to accompany minor applicant and must have a valid Guam driver’s license.
Written Exam:  $15.00
Learner’s permit: 10.00 (valid for 2yrs from date of   issue)
No charges for Road examination
    First Time Drivers over 18 years of age:
o  Possess a valid certificate of completion from a driver's education service consisting of 40 hours training (32 classroom hours and 8 in-car hours)
o   Present a valid form of identification
o   Complete Driver's License Application Form
o   Pass written & road test
o   Must be accompanied by a designated driver that is 21 years of age or older holding a Guam driver’s license.
Required documents are: certificate of completion from Driver’s Education course, original social security card (issued by Social Security Office), and a picture ID. 
   Appointments are required to take the Driver’s Written and Road examinations.
The following documents are required:
o   Valid ID such as Passport, Military ID, Green card, etc….
o   Social Security Card – original or certification from the Social Security office
Call the Motor Vehicle Division, Driver’s License Branch for appointments; the written exams are given by University of Guam.
    Motorcycle License:
If an Active Duty service member or a dependant has a valid motorcycle license from any of the 50 states of the United States or its territories, a Guam motorcycle license must be obtained within 30 days of arriving.  No exam is required; except a vision test that is performed at the Department of Motor Vehicles.  To transfer the motorcycle license costs $25; these are the documents that are required:
o   The valid motorcycle license
o   A valid picture
o   ID (Military ID, Passport, Stateside ID, etc)
o   Social Security Card – original or certification from the Social Security office

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV)

A Temporary Vehicle Permit from the Revenue and Tax Motor Vehicle Division is required for you to pick up your POV.  The permit is good for five days and the fee is $5.00.  The POV Office on Naval Base Guam will not release your POV without the temporary permit.

Private Owned Vehicles (POV) must be currently insured, pass a Guam Safety Inspection, and must be registered with the Motor Vehicle Division before being operated on the roads of Guam. 
Service members are encouraged to contact their current vehicle insurance company to verify if vehicle coverage is effective on Guam.
Your vehicle must pass a safety inspection to be registered on Guam.  You must have your current Vehicle Registration on hand to get a Safety Inspection.  Inspection fee is $15.00.  For more information, call the Department of Motor Vehicles, Vehicle Registration Branch at (671)635-1755/56/57, Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Privately Owned Vehicle (POV) / Motorcycle Registration

Registering your vehicle - the following is needed to apply for Guam Vehicle Registration:
o   Certificate of Ownership (title) or Lien from a financial institution
o   The original manufacturer's Certificate of Origin
o   Certification of Automobile Liability Insurance (Public Law 20-216)
o   Complete Vehicle Registration Application Form
o   A passed Guam vehicle safety inspection checklist
Service members may register their vehicles and maintain their current plates provided the plates are registered and that the state allows service members to keep their plates out of state.
   Registering under the Service Members Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
You must meet the following requirements to register your vehicle under the Service Members Civil Relief Act:
o   Be an Active Duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces
o   Possess a current Military Identification Card
o   Have current U. S. Mainland Vehicle Registration Certificate
o   Pass a Guam Safety Inspection Checklist
o   Certification of Automobile Liability Insurance (Public Law 20-216)
o   Complete Service Members Civil Relief Act Application Form
o   Only Active Duty Members can apply
Spouses and dependents with a power of attorney are not entitled to the benefits enumerated under Title 50 U.S.C. 511 Section 574 of the Service members Civil Relief Act.
Registration fees will vary according to type of vehicle.  Fees are based on weight and capacity.  The registration fee for a sedan can range from $58.00-$65.00.  Fees for pick-up trucks will be slightly higher due to the capacity and weight of the vehicle.                                             See Website:
    Guam Vehicle Tax
o   Any vehicle, new or used, owned less than ninety (90) days is subject to a 4% tax when shipped to Guam, even if the car is validly registered in another state.
o   The Vehicle Tax is calculated based on the purchase price of the vehicle.
o   Please contact the Navy Legal Service Office (NLSO) at (671)333-2061 for additional information or the NLSO Website:
For more information on Licensing and Registration requirements please visit Guam Department of Revenue and Taxation Website at:
Base Registration
To register your POV and obtain a base sticker:
    Complete the registration process at Motor Vehicle Division and proceed back to Naval Base Guam Pass & ID Office (located outside of Naval Base), with Guam Vehicle Registration certificate, proof of insurance, Military ID and Driver’s License.
    Motorcycles: Because of the unique condition of Guam’s roads all military personnel who wish to operate a two-wheeled vehicle over 50cc’s must attend the Motorcycle Safety Course regardless if he/she has passed such a course at another base. Operators must provide proof of attendance at the Motorcycle Safety Course, Guam Motorcycle Driver’s License, Valid Military ID, valid motorcycle registration and current proof of insurance.
Please contact Logistics Department for more information or to make an appointment to attend a Motorcycle Safety Course.
Pass & ID Office - located outside the Main Gate of Naval Base Guam
Telephone: (671)339-5208
Hours:          6:00 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) Click Here to Download MS Word viewer MS Word
Last Modified 1/12/2016