Rear Adm. Richmond graduated from the Coast Guard Academy with a bachelor of science degree in May 1941. His first duty assignment was as communications officer on board the USS Hunter Liggett. He was then assigned for Atlantic convoy escort duty on board the Coast Guard cutter Ingham.
From 1942-1943 he attended flight school at the Naval Reserve Aviation Base in Grosse, Ill., and Naval Air Training Center, Pensacola, Fla.
Other tour of duties include: pilot at Air Stations St. Petersburg, Fla. (1943-1944); Salem, Mass. (1944-1946); Air Detachment Honolulu, Hawaii (1946-1947); and Air Station San Diego (1948-1950); executive officer of Aircraft Repair and Supply Base in Elizabeth City, N.C.(1950-1952); liaison officer at the Naval Air
Test Center in Maryland (1952-1954); executive officer of Air Station Port Angeles, Wash., from 1954-1956.hompson went on to command Air Detachment Kodiak, Alaska, from 1959-1962, and CG Air Station St. Petersburg, Fla., from 1962-1965. Next he served for three years as the chief, search and rescue division at CG Headquarters in Washington D.C. and then as chief of staff for the 13th CG District in 1968. In 1969 he returned to Headquarters as the chief of office of research and development.
His awards include the Distinguished Flying Cross, American Defense, American Campaign, Naval Expeditionary, Naval Occupation Medal, Air Force Expeditionary, WWII Victory, and National Defense Service Medal.