13th Coast Guard District
915 Second Ave
Seattle, WA 98174
Fish like there is a tomorrow - fish safe.
A web site for Commercial Fishing Vessel Owners, Operators and Crew
Law Enforcement and Voyage Termination
Commercial fishing vessels are required to comply with the commercial fishing vessel safety regulations. If during an underway boarding a fishing vessel is found to be in violation of any of the carriage or operational requirements the vessel can be issued a violation and a possible fine.
There are certain violations that are what the regulations refered to as an "especially hazarous condition".
A Coast Guard Boarding Officer
may direct the master or individual in
charge of a vessel, with the concurrence
of the District Commander, or
staff authorized by the District Commander,
to immediately take reasonable
steps necessary for the safety of
individuals on board the vessel if the
Boarding Officer observes the vessel
being operated in an unsafe manner
and determines that an especially hazardous
condition exists. This may include
directing the master or individual
in charge of the vessel to return
the vessel to a mooring and remain
there until the situation creating the
especially hazardous condition is corrected
or other specific action is taken.
- Especially hazardous conditions include but are not limited to, operating with:
- An insufficient number of serviceable wearable Personnal Floation Devices (PFDs)
- A missing or unserviceable Survival Craft
- A missing or unserviceable emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB)
- Instability: ... Overloaded / Improper Loading / Lack of Freeboard
- A missing or iinoperable Bilge System
- Intoxication of the operator or master.
- Flooding or uncontrolled leaking in any space
- An insuffcient number of serviceable firefighting equipment
- Improper, or inoperable navigation lights between dusk and dawn.
- A missing or unserviceable life raft hydrostatic release unit
- A missing or iinoperable high water alarms
- Missing or iinoperable watertight closures
- Excessive volital fuel (gasoline or solvents) or fuel or vapors in the bilge
- Emergency drills
- A missing or expired Certificate of Class - (Fish Processing Vessel)
- Loadline Certificate - (Fish Processing Vessel)
View applicable regulations
Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/12/2016