To coordinate the safe and efficient transit of vessels in San
Francisco Bay in an effort to prevent accidents and the associated loss
of life and damage to property and the environment.
We execute our mission by:
mariners of other vessels and potential hazards,
courses of action when we see a situation that the mariner may not have seen, and
the outcome of situations when necessary to prevent disasters.
- For free, up to date electronic NOAA chartlets in booklet form, click on
NOAA's Experimental BookletCharts™ site.
- AIS Destination Codes
- The VTS San Francisco User's Manual describes procedures for participation in the VTS, details of San Francisco Bay's Regulated Navigation Areas (RNAs), and includes the full text of applicable Federal Regulations.
- The Communications Guide presents an abbreviated guide to communication procedures.
- Do you speak Channel 14? Do you always know what we are talking about? This guide will give you a glossary of all the terms we use. Plus the geographical and hydrographical points that we refer to.
- The Regulated Navigation Areas have been changed as of February 2004. You may download the full CFR as a .pdf here. (PC users: Right click on
link and select "Save Target as" to download, or just left click to
read. Mac users: click and hold on link then select "Save link as".)
All users will need Adobe Reader to view downloaded .pdf files.Click
the "Download Plug-ins" box below to get the necessary plugins.
- The History and Fact Sheet provides
brief descriptions of some of the more infamous events that have
occurred in our over 30 years of service to the maritime community and
the nation. They serve as graphic reminders that although we have come
a long way since the days of the frequent now-glorified shipwrecks that
dot our shorelines, accidents can and do still happen.
Enjoy your visit to our Web Site. We hope you find the material
here useful. Please feel free to contact us
for further information.