Station (small) Scituate
Coast Guard Station Scituate was established in 1936. At its peak staffing, the personnel complement was approximately 40 persons, operating a combination of up to 3 standard and non-standard boats.
Facilities at the time consisted of one large station building, a detached 4 bay garage with finished 2nd story, a large boathouse with finished 2nd story, and a pier.
In July 1996 Station Scituate was reduced to a station small after implementation of the Coast Guard's non-emergency SAR policy intended to preclude the Coast Guard from competing with private enterprise reduced the station case load severely. Over a four year period from 1994 through 1997 the case load dropped from just over 170 in 1994 to just under 20 in 1997. Better than 70% of all cases occur between the months of May and September during its operational period.