The Planning Department consists of Readiness for Operations & Training, Intelligence, and Contingency and Exercise Planning. With the assistance of a small Auxiliary and Reserve component and less than 10 active duty members, Planning has the overall responsibility of:
- Ensuring Coast Guard members from the Canadian Border to upper New York maintain qualifications and receive the training necessary for their positions.
- Ensuring the capability and operational readiness of Small Boat Stations, Aids to Navigation Teams, Cutters and Boarding Teams through inspections, written exams, physical fitness testing, and drills.
- Intelligence is gathered and analyzed in cooperation with local, state, and other Federal Agencies to increase the Coast Guards awareness and response posture to any ensuing threats.
- Planning large scale exercise with local, state, and other agencies to prepare for incidents of a scope requiring interagency coordination and cooperation.
- Preparing comprehensive Continuity of Operations Plans to prepare in advance for tragedies effecting the Coast Guard within our region.