Skip Navigation


Security Levels

Military Funeral Honors

Base Seattle

Base Seattle personnel can provide burial assistance for veterans and retired members of the U.S. Armed Forces in the Seattle Area.  Use the following links to proceed to the section of your interest (all links are contained within this page):

Funeral Honors: The Coast Guard will make every attempt to provide a funeral detail when requested for the funeral service of a deceased veteran within the Seattle Area. You can provide the location, date, and time of a funeral to the Honor Guard Coordinator at 206-217-6583 as soon as you have the information available, and every effort will be made to provide the service. At least 24 working hours advance notice is necessary to try and accommodate your needs. Please follow up with the Honor Guard Request Form.

Chaplain: A Coast Guard Chaplain may also be able to attend a funeral service if desired. If you would like a Chaplain’s presence, please contact the Chaplain directly at (206) 217-6995.

VA Survivor Benefits: Surviving family members should visit the VA's Office of Survivors Assistance and the Veterans Benefits Administration to determine if they are eligible to receive VA Survivor Benefits.

Burial Benefits: The Coast Guard does not make any payments to veterans. Some survivors may be eligible for funeral benefits. You should contact the Veteran’s Administration at 1-800-827-1000 if you have any questions about payments.

Funeral Flag: The Veteran's Administration provides a U.S. flag for all veterans and retired active duty members for the funeral service. Your funeral director can usually obtain this flag. Simply notify the director that the deceased was a veteran and that you would like a flag to be provided at the funeral service. If the funeral director does not provide assistance, you can submit a form to your local post office or Veteran’s Administration Office with a request. The form (VA Form 2008) can be accessed at the Veteran's Administration Website. You will also need to submit a copy of the veteran’s discharge or retirement papers.

Memorial Certificates: Presidential Memorial Certificates, bearing the President's signature, are issued to recognize honorably discharged deceased veterans. Next of kin and other loved one's are eligible to receive certificates. The award of a certificate to one eligible recipient does not preclude certificates to other eligible recipients. The veteran may have died at any time. Requests for certificates should include a copy of the deceased veteran's discharge document, form DD214. VA regional offices can assist in applying for certificates.

Burial at Sea (off the Washington Coast & Puget Sound)

ELIGIBILITY.  Individuals eligible for this program are:

  1. active duty members of the uniformed service;
  2. retirees and veterans who were honorably discharged;
  3. U.S. civilian marine personnel of the military sealift command; and
A person cannot request a burial at sea from the Coast Guard prior to death. The person authorized to dispose of the remains must make the request (usually the next of kin). Anyone who thinks he/she would like to be buried at sea should make sure the next of kin is aware of the desire, and may want to have the desire recorded in a will.  FOR MERCHANT MARINES THAT SERVED IN WWII, PLEASE CONTACT THE DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY FOR BURIAL AT SEA INFORMATION.

To request burial at sea, the next of kin should send package with below items via registered mail:
  1. Photocopy of DD214
  2. Retirement certificate or honorable discharge certificate
  3. Photocopy of Death Certificate Application and permit for disposal of human remains
  4. Burial at Sea Program Request Authorization Form (original signature is required)
  5. Cremated remains
Send package to:
   Commanding Officer
   USCG Base Seattle
   Seattle, WA 98134-1192
   Attn: Decedent Affairs Officer

Once the burial is complete, you will receive documentation the gives the date and time or the ceremony along with the location of the burial in longitude/latitude.

Contact Information: Please contact the Decedent Affairs Officer at (206) 217-6513 with if you have other questions or problems concerning Decedent Affairs.  For any questions concerning Honor Guard participation in funeral services please contact the Honor Guard Coordinator at (206) 217-6583.

References / Helpful Links

Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) Click Here to Download MS Word viewer MS Word
Last Modified 5/9/2016