To determine rediness, Coast Guard members shall be physically examined and required to meet the physical standards prescribed in the Medical Manual (COMDTINST M6000.1B) for the program or specialty and grade or rate involved. An examinee who does not meet the standard shall be disqualified. Periodic Health Assessments and physical exams are conducted daily at the HSWL Clinic for those active duty and reserve members enrolled to the HSWL Clinic and the physical exams are usually completed in one day. Although most physicals are completed before lunch, expect to be with us all day. The Health Services Division Customer Service Standards require physical exams to be scheduled within 30 days of the request and approved within 60 days after completion of the physical exam. You should allow yourself at least a 90 day window to ensure the physical exam will be completed in time to meet your needs.
Periodic Health Assessments. "We, at HSWL Seattle, HSWL Portsmouth, are in the process of Beta testing the congressionally mandated Periodic Health Assessment as a replacement to the Quinquinnial Physical Exam. HSWL Seattle Medical still offers specialty physicals such as Pre-commissioning, RELAD, Separation, and retirement, but instead of the 5 year PE we Are now requiring the Annual Periodic Health Assessment. "
To schedule a physical exam contact the HSWL Clinic Front Desk at 206-217-6432. If you have question please contact at 206-217-6432.
Procedures: To ensure your physical exam runs smoothly and to limit the amount of time spend filling out forms in the clinic, follow these procedures;
1. You must fast for 12 hours prior to your physical exam. NO EATING! You can drink and are encouraged to drink lots of water. You may also drink strait black coffee or straight tea. Urine and blood samples will be necessary.
2. If you wear glasses and have not had an eye exam in the last 24 months schedule an appointment with the optometrist prior to your physical exam date if possible (206-217-6432).
3. If you are a female, a PAP is required and should be completed prior to the physical exam. Additionally, if you are at age 40, 44, 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, and 62 a mammography is required. A referral for a mammography and/or PAP can be completed by scheduling an appointment with one of the Medical Officers (206-217-6432).
4 You will need your Health Record (medical/dental record) with you on the day of your appointment.
Forms to fill out:
1. Fill out the Periodic Health Assessment
2. Fill out the highlighted areas on the Report of Medical Examination DD Form 2808 , Dental Health Questionnaire CG-5605, and Report of Medical History DD Form 2807-1, then print them out and bring the forms to your appointment.
3. If you are a reserve member and are being activated or deactivated, print our the Report of Medical Assessment DD Form 2697. Then fill out the form and bring it with you to your appointment.
4. If you are a reserve or an active duty member seeking dental care from a civilian dentist, print out the Department of Defense Active Duty/Reserve Forces Dental Exam DD Form 2813. Take the form to the civilian dentist with you and ask the dentist to fill out the form. When completed fax the form to the HSWL Seattle Clinic Administrator at (206) 217-6636.
5. If you are transferring Overseas, Sea Duty Deployment or completing your annual screening for Port Security Unit, print out the Screening Form, then fill it out and bring it with you to your appointment.
6. The Medical Examination Report for commercial driver fitness determination is used for those seeking a license to transport explosive materials.
Types of Physical Exams: The following physical examinations can be completed at HSWL Seattle.
Periodic Health Assessments
Overseas Transfer, Sea Duty Deployment and Port Security Unit (PSU) Health Screenings
Retired Members Recalled to Active Duty
Annual Command Afloat Medical Screening