Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Transition and Relocation Assistance Programs
Worklife Division
Health, Safety and Worklife Department
Base Portsmouth


Work Life Logo Ms. Anne Patterson
Transition/Relocation Assistance Manager
Ombudsman Coordinator

three turtles moving their possessions on their backs

The Coast Guard Relocation Assistance Program assists active, duty, recalled reserve, recently separated and retired personnel, civilian members and their families during the relocation cycle.  The Base Portsmouth WorkLife office can help you take charge of planning your next move.  The Relocation Assistance Program (RAP) can help you with information that will assist you as you navigate your way to a smooth move.  We can help you identify exactly what you need, so that you can ask the right questions and make the right decisions at the right time.  The RAP is one of the many programs available through the WorkLife offices.  Our primary goal is to assist military employees and their families relocate to their new area.  Initiated in July 1992, the Program helps the following during the relocation cycle:

Active Duty members and family
Recalled Reservists
Retired members and family
Civilian employees


The TRM is the cornerstone of the RAP.  The primary function of the TRM is to provide information, referrals, and sponsorship guidance.  While the TRM does provide some direct service, their primary object is to:


Provide a standard relocation packet within 10 days of orders.  These packets are filled with area specific information surrounding a new unit.


Guide the transferee through the relocation process.


Monitor the loan locker.


Monitor the quality of services being delivered.


Spousal Employment and Transition Assistance.


Predeployment programs.

7 Major Areas of Emphasis:

  1. Provide relocation assistance to transferees by providing information, referrals and standardized relocation packets.

  2. Monitor transfer orders and make certain packages go out.

  3. Make certain commands are up to date on the Sponsorship Program.

  4. Develop community resources and standardized relocation information.

  5. Oversee Military Homefront.

  6. Develop and market Spousal Employee Program.

  7. Provide information on Job fairs.

Other Resources:


Gaining Unit:  The gaining unit is one of the best sources for unit and local information.  If you do not have a sponsor yet, request one!


Servicing Personnel Office (SPO):  Your current SPO will issue the official orders and start the relocation process.


Transportation Officer (TO):  The TO arranges for transportation of your household goods.  The TO also determines your allowances for transportation.


Legal Assistance Office:  Carefully consider if you will need help with power-of-attorney contract review, or other legal matters during relocation.


Local Housing Office:  The Local Housing Office can inform you of local housing availability including government-owned and leased housing.

bullet  GreatSchools is a national, independent nonprofit organization committed to helping parents choose schools, support your children's education and improve schools in your community.

bullet  The Automated Housing Referral Network ( is sponsored by the Department of Defense and is designed to improve the process of securing available housing for relocating military members and their families.

bullet  Your one stop source for advertising your home For Sale by Owner or For Rent near Military Installations.  Use  the power of your military network and the web to help you find, sell or rent your next home.

Moving Resources:

Moving, no matter how may times you have done it, is a very stressful event.  To help you during this time, the TRM offers many resources to assure a smooth move.  Some of them include: individual consultations; sponsorship training; as well as the links below -

Transferee Needs Assessment Form
Application for Assignment to Military Housing (CG-5267)
Military Homefront - Planning Your Move
One Month Before Moving
Also, the link to our relocation website is
Helpful links to assist with your move to Hampton Roads RelocationAssistWebsites.pdf
Hampton Roads House Search
Hampton Roads Apartment Search
Hampton Roads Community Guide
Spousal Employment



The Transition Assistance Program is intended to provide information and assistance to all separating and retiring members to help them make an effective transition from military to civilian life.  Our goal is to ensure that separating members are aware of, and have access to, the numerous programs and services available to assist them in the transition process.

PRESEPARATION INFORMATION (Preseparation Handbook) -

All transitioning Coast Guard members are required to attend a Preseparation Counseling prior to departing the Coast Guard.  In addition, the Coast Guard's Preseparation Instruction provides information on the various services and benefits available to separating Coast Guard members and their families.

Military personnel begin to receive transition services by attending a Preseparation Counseling or Transition Assistance Program Seminar (TAPS) a minimum of 90 days prior to separation.  Preseparation counseling is required by law; we strongly recommend that you register for a transition seminar or set up a preseparation counseling appointment at least 180 days prior to separation.  During the transition seminar and preseparation counseling, you will learn about your benefits and rights, as well as the services that are available.  You will be introduced to the DD Form 2648, Preseparation Counseling checklist and assisted with its completion.  This form helps Coast Guard members to identify their needs and develop a personal plan for securing the help to meet those needs.

Throughout their transition, Coast Guard members, and their family members have free access to trained WorkLife managers who can help them to modify their individual transition plan, secure necessary services, or just resolve problems.  The WorkLife Center remains their guide through this anxious transition period.


Congress has directed (through Public Law 102-484, National Defense Authorization Act, 1995) that all service members separating from active duty receive preseparation counseling not later than 90 days prior to separation.  Admin offices at your command will go over the Preseparation worksheet with you before separating.  To ensure that you receive proper counseling, you will be required to complete DD Form 2648, "Preseparation Counseling Checklist", which becomes a permanent part of your personnel record upon completion.


Coast Guard members are normally scheduled to attend the Transition Seminar or preseparation counseling by the servicing installation WorkLife Center.  The goal is to attend a Transition Seminar or preseparation counseling between 90 - 180 days prior to separation.  If you are within 90 days of separation and have not made an appointment, call the WorkLife Center and schedule a seminar immediately.  If you are stationed at a remote location which does not provide WorkLife services, contact your transition liaison or the WorkLife Center and arrange an appointment.


Public Law 103-337 requires all Coast Guard commands offer preseparation counseling at least 90 - 180 days before separation to all members being discharged, released from active duty, medically discharged and retired (no exceptions).  DD Form 2648


"Things To Do Prior To Retirement" helps you prepare for your retirement by providing timeline suggestions up to two years prior to your separation.

These are a few excellent resources available to separating or retiring service persons.
The Military section of a site sponsored by US Department of Labor
Official job site of the Federal Government for Federal Employment
Employment resources for military spouses
The online version of the magazine G.I. Jobs
Military-to-civilian occupation translator
Job search assistance from the Department of Defense
Career One Stop
Occupational Outlook Handbook
Department of Labor
Troops to Teachers
Department of Labor Veteran's employment and training
U.S. Government information, services, transactions, employment links and forms
Department of Labor - Transition Assistance Program Manual
Helmets to Hardhats
Hire Vets First - a special program by Department of Labor that specifically markets veterans to employers
Search for occupational licensing requirements by state, occupation, or agency
Virginia Employment Commission
TAP job search workbook materials
Use this site to find the state workforce center nearest you; every workforce center has one or more Veteran's Employment Representative offering customized assistance to job seekers with military backgrounds.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) Click Here to Download MS Word viewer MS Word
Last Modified 7/15/2014