Skip Navigation


Security Levels

About   Links   Services                                             MHS Notice of Privacy Practices


Gaining Unit: The gaining unit is one of the best sources for unit and local information. If you do not have a sponsor yet, request one!

Legal Assistance Office: Carefully consider if you will need help with power-of-attorney contract review, or other legal matters during relocation.

The California Highway Patrol and Out of State Registration
The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has implemented a program to recover lost income from California residents reregistering their vehicles out of state. The program "CHEATERS" is web based and encourages citizens to report out of state registered vehicles that are believed to belong to a California resident. This program has negatively impacted members of the Armed Forces including the Coast Guard. The California Highway Patrol is responding to the negative impact by modifying the "CHEATERS" web page and informing all CHP personnel with the updated information. The web page will include the California Vehicle Code, which permits active duty members and their spouses to maintain registration in their home state.

If you receive a citation for out of state registration consult the base legal staff at X5891 or ENS Preston with any questions at X3035.

Gun Laws of California
California Department Of Justice allows Active Duty Military Personnel apply for a permit to Possess and/or Transport Assault Weapon. You must complete FD 4082.

Gun laws in California are essential to know for the people that are about ready to transfer into California. You need to be aware...some guns that are legal in Alaska or other areas are not legal to bring into the State of California.

As of January 23, 2001 Assault Type Weapons and Extended Magazine Clips are banned in California. According to DOJ (state) even personnel traveling under Military Orders are not exempt. Members of the military will be prosecuted by the state. They could receive a minimum fine of $500 or up to 2 years in prison or both and their weapons confiscated.

It is recommended that weapons be placed with a registered repository or responsible friend or relative outside the state while stationed in California. For further information about CA Gun Laws and requirements visit the Firearms Division at the Office of the Attorney General.

Commuting in Northern California
Depending on the area in which you relocate to, you may have a commute time as long as two hours. Here are alternatives besides driving by yourself:

Wireless Communications Device Law in California

The new Wireless Communications Device Law (effective January 1, 2009) makes it an infraction to write, send, or read text-based communication on an electronic wireless communications device, such as a cell phone, while driving a motor vehicle.  

Two additional laws dealing with the use of wireless telephones while driving went into effect July 1, 2008. The first law prohibits all drivers from using a handheld wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle, (California Vehicle Code [VC] 23123). Motorists 18 and over may use a “hands-free device. The second law effective July 1, 2008, prohibits drivers under the age of 18 from using a wireless telephone or hands-free device while operating a motor vehicle (VC 23124).

 Contact Information:

      Ms. CJ Johnson
Transition Relocation Specialist
(510) 437-5920

Last Modified 1/13/2016