Security Levels

National Terrorism Advisory System (NTAS) check current status

Base Alameda Area Housing Office

Personnel Services Department


Quick Links: Contact Information Virtual Tour (Disregard reference to "ISC")

On behalf of Base Alameda and our Area Housing Office, welcome to the San Francisco Bay Area! Base Alameda proudly manages three local housing sites in the following geographic areas:

Alameda Housing Site – our largest San Francisco Bay Area local housing area, this 299-unit site contains 2, 3 and 4 bedroom apartments and townhomes, with a small number of single family homes typically reserved for special needs families.  This local site is located approximately 5 miles from Coast Guard Island and located in the City of Alameda on a former DoD Base (Naval Air Station Alameda).

Concord Housing Site – currently unavailable for assignment pending housing management decisions at the Headquarters level.

Novato Housing Site – our North San Francisco Bay local housing area, this site contains approximately (60) 2 & 4 bedroom apartments and (33) 3 & 4 bedroom single family homes.  This North Bay site is located about 30 miles north of Coast Guard Island and located in the City of Novato on a former DoD Base (Army Air Base/AFB Hamilton Field).

As a reminder, Coast Guard Housing is now mandatory for all orders issued on or after October 1, 2013.  Assignments to housing units will be made based on family size where inventory permits, i.e. one bedroom per child.  When possible, options will be given for housing assignments and we strive to accommodate housing site preferences, but please understand we must make housing assignments based on availability.

All inbound members in receipt of official PCS orders must submit the following documentation via e-mail to the Alameda Area Housing Office at or by fax to (510) 437-3948:

Members with dependents:       ( Info on Enrolling in Alameda Schools )
•  A CG-5267 'Application for Assignment to Military Housing".  Please list in order (1st, 2nd) your desired house location on the second page of the application, Section A.
• A copy of your SIGNED PCS orders (your initial unsigned orders can be submitted first, however assignment to housing cannot be made w/o signed orders).
• A copy of your Dependency/BAH dependency worksheet (if you still have unsigned orders that do not list your authorized dependents).

E-5 and up:  Government quarters are currently not available for Single E-5 & Above members.  However, as part of the check-in process, you still need to request a release from military housing before your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) payment can start or you obtain a residence in the local community.  Please ensure you complete this requirement, as failure to do so may adversely affect your BAH entitlement.
• Copy of SIGNED PCS orders.
• A CG-5267 "Application for Assignment to Military Housing".  Please select the "I Do Desire A Waiver To Reside In Civilian Housing" box on the Housing Application.  We understand you are not applying for housing but this is the required form we must use for official housing releases.

E-4 & below: Currently, all single members E-4 and below are required to be assigned to unaccompanied personnel housing (UPH) government quarters at one of two locations.  For those members attached to units in the Alameda/Oakland area, you will be assigned to a UPH unit at the CG Alameda housing site.  For those members assigned to Pacific Strike Team, Station Golden Gate or CAMSPAC will be assigned to a UPH unit at the CG Novato housing site.
• Copy of SIGNED PCS orders.
• A CG-5267 "Application for Assignment to Military Housing' form.

Important Housing Information

CG Policy currently restricts the number of pets to 2: 2 dogs OR 2 cats OR 1 of each.  Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, pot bellied pigs, monkey, arachnids, rabbits, or any farm animal are prohibited in all government-owned housing.

Recreational vehicles are only permitted on the housing sites if they can fit and are stored in your garage.  Otherwise, alternative storage is available at the storage lot in the Novato Housing Area and the storage lot on Base Alameda for the Alameda Housing Area.  Storage lots are also available on the economy at your own expense.

If you do not desire to live in Coast Guard housing and want to receive BAH to live on the economy, you may request to be placed on the BAH wait list by selecting the "I Do Desire A Waiver To Reside In Civilian Housing" box on the Housing Application Form (CG-5267).  You also need to state your reason for wanting a release in Section A on the second page of the Housing Application.  Special needs/medical situations as a reason may require accompanying official documentation.  Please contact the Area Housing Office for more details.

Those members who are Bay Area homeowners that are returning to a home they previously purchased, or those in the process of purchasing a home in the local area, will be released from mandatory housing.  Please contact the Area Housing Office to discuss the paperwork required for release under this program.

For those members receiving a BAH release to live on the economy, the Area Housing Office maintains an apartment rental listing for the surrounding area.  For other types of listings, you should review sources available to the general public, such as craigslist,,,, classified ads, and property management company/real estate agent listings.

Again, welcome to the Bay Area and please feel free to contact our Area Housing Office at (510) 437-3961 if you have any housing questions or concerns.  Thank you and have a great Coast Guard Day!

Back to the top


Quick Links

Back to the top