We have provided the following information to help visitors successfully locate information pertinent to their needs. Most websites require users to enter a word or words into a Search box located somewhere on the webpage. On the ALJ website, this Search box is located in the upper left hand corner of the page. These instructions give a quick overview of this site's search basics, link to examples of simple searches under Quick Tips, and provide a link to a page of possible keywords and phrases to get you started.
NOTE: Information provided by Search Help, to include all linked content, does not and is not intended to serve as legal advice.
ALJ Web Page Search Basics
- To begin, first navigate to the main page of the Unit you wish to search. With your cursor in the box next to the word Search, enter keywords or terms you are researching.
- BEFORE CLICKING THE WORD SEARCH, click in the checkbox following "Search Current Unit" in the upper right hand corner. You will notice that a checkmark will appear in the box thus limiting the search to data located on the selected Unit's web page. Now click the SEARCH button. NOTE: If you would like to view a non-exhaustive list of possible keywords and phrases that may assist you in searching the ALJ website, click here.
- The information displayed as a consequence of clicking the "Search" button is called search results or search returns. The search results will usually list names of and provide hyperlinks to pages or documents containing the keywords or terms you entered in the search field. To further assist, each result will display 500 characters both preceding and following the matched term for the searcher to view the terms in context.
- Upper or Lower Case letters do not add or subtract value when entering search terms. For example, searching for "Coast Guard" is the same as searching for "coast guard." The search results will display both upper and lower case instances of your search term.
- Entering search phrases enclosed in double quotations marks limits the search to pages or documents containing the quoted words in the exact order entered.
- To view examples of various ways to search, click Quick Tips.