Skip Navigation


Security Levels

Coast Guard Personnel Service Center

Officer Personnel Management Division

Officer Boards, Promotions, and Separations Branch CG PSC (opm-1)

Promotions Section

The Officer Promotions Section in CG PSC (opm-1) handles all of the following:

Helpful Information:

Extended Active Duty (EAD):

A Reserve Officer may request an EAD Agreement at anytime, but the best time to request it is in the Fall at the beginning of the assignment season.  Delaying beyond the Fall will severely limit our ability to offer an Agreement that meets both service and individual needs.  Submitting a request does not obligate an officer to accept an agreement.  Note:  This is not the process for an officer requesting to be recalled from retirement.  Please see the Retired Recall Page

The request for EAD should come via standard memo from the officer, endorsed by his/her chain of command, to CG PSC-opm-1.  It needs to include:

Please scan and email to  If you do not have access to a scanner, please fax to OPM-1E at (703)-872-6429

Request for EAD Contract  Template


Q:  I hold a Reserve Commission and request an Extended Active Duty (EAD) Agreement or an extension to my current agreement.  Do I meet the criteria? How do I request an EAD? 

A:  CG Officer Accessions Evaluations, and Promotions, COMDTINST M1000.3 Chapter 1 Section B. contains information regarding the criteria an officer needs to meet and the process to follow in order to request an Active Duty Agreement.  Reserve Officers on Extended Active Duty are either:

OCS Graduates and Direct Commissioned Officers (DCOs) receiving reserve commissions will automatically receive an initial EAD Agreements of at least 3 yrs (the exact length to be set by each specific program).  Previously commissioned reserve officers desiring to serve on extended active duty should request to do so via memo, through their Chain of Command, to CG PSC (opm-1).

Reserve Officer in the grade of 0-3 and below, currently serving on EAD Agreements that wish to extend their active duty should request extension via the applicable Reserve Extension Board.  The Promotion Year Schedule of Active Duty Promotion List (ADPL) Officer Personnel Boards and Panels, Commandant Instruction 1401 (series) announces when the Reserve Officer Extension Board is scheduled to be held in a given promotion year. 

Q:  I am currently serving on an EAD Agreement and wish to terminate my active duty prior to the end of the agreement.  Is there any recourse to voluntarily terminate the agreement early?

A:  If you would like early release from your active duty agreement, you need to submit a request via memo, thru the Chain of Command for endorsement, to CG PSC (opm-1).  The request shall include the desired date of release from active duty as well as the reason for the request.  Early release will only be approved when determined to be in the best interest of both the Service and member.

Oaths of Office:

Q:  When do Officer's sign new Oath's of Office?

A:  An Oath of Office is required upon initial commission in the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Reserve. This includes commissioning as Chief Warrant Officer (USCG or USCGR).  Officer's who integrate into the regular Coast Guard, return to Active Duty from Temporary Separation, and those appointed to the Permanent Commissioned Teaching Staff are also required to complete an Oath of Office.  (Sources: 14 U.S.C 273; 14 U.S.C 735; 10 U.S.C 14309)

Form CG-9556, Acceptance and Oath of Office

For detailed directions on completing the Acceptance and Oath of Office use the appropriate link below:

Integration Oath            CWO Appointment Oath             CWO to LT Oath

Note:  Administrating Officer is required by law to be "any commissioned officer of the Armed Force, a United States commissioner, a judge of a Court of Record, a Clerk of a Court of Record, a Notary Public, or a Justice of the Peace". The Administering Officer cannot be a Chief Petty Officer, or Petty Officer.


Coast Guard Officer Accessions Evaluations, and Promotions, COMDTINST M1000.3, Article 1.A.8 thoroughly explains the Integration process.

Once an ADPL "best-qualified" promotion board selects Reserve and temporary Regular officers, the Service expects them to possess the potential and skills for long-term active service and they become eligible to integrate as permanent Regular officers.  The following boards meet the ADPL "best-qualified" criteria:

The CWO to Lieutenant program is not a "best-qualified" board.  Although it selects the "best-qualified" candidates, it is an application board.  CWO Promotion is not an ADPL "best qualified" board since the CWO's are not on the ADPL.  If a CWO2 or CWO3 newly selected for promotion to CWO3 or CWO4 (respectively) desires to integrate into the regular Coast Guard, he/she must request to integrate thru their Chain of Command to CG PSC-OPM-1.

After all the "best-qualified" boards adjourn in a promotion year, CG PSC (opm-1) will automatically seek appointment authority to integrate those reserve and temporary officers selected by these boards.  Members are no longer required to request integration.  Once Senate approval is obtained, typically between March or April following selection, the Coast Guard offers integration to the member via official correspondence. 

Integrations FAQs

Q:  What if I decline integration?

A:  If a reserve commissioned officer declines integration, the Coast Guard may release the officer according to the COMDTINST M1000.3, Article 1.A.9.  Reserve officers will usually be released from active duty at the end of their contracts although the Coast Guard does have the option to release the officer earlier if in the best interest of the Service. 

Temporary officers are typically not required to integrate because they receive their temporary appointment through one of three programs: 1) CWO to LT, 2) DCO, or 3) PYA.  However, all reserve and temporary officers that attend OCS must integrate or be released from active duty.

Q:  What if I'm a reserve member serving on Extended Active Duty (EAD) and my agreement terminates between being selected for promotion and being offered integration?

A:  Sometimes an officer's Expected Active Duty Termination Date does not allow enough time to send out the appointment letters and receive the integration Oaths of Office.  To prevent any pay disruptions, these officers may request to be administratively extended on active duty until they receive their integration offer.

Q:  What impact does accepting integration have on my ability to request voluntary retirement?

A:  Integration requires an officer to serve at least ten years of commissioned active service (including time as a CWO or reserve officer) before voluntarily retiring.  This ten-year requirement does not apply to mandatory retirements or resignations. 

Source: Officer Accessions Evaluations, and Promotions, COMDTINST M1000.3, Article 1.A.8

Interservice Transfer:

Interservice transfer is for regular, permanent officers of the Coast Guard or other armed forces to transfer to another service at the same rank.  This is only for regular permanent officers - it does not include reserve officers (USCGR, USNR, USAR, USAFR, etc).  If a Reserve Officer in another service, you must first integrate before requesting.

Officers with obligated service are not permitted to apply.  The Coast Guard or other services will not accept individuals with any obligated service to the Service they are currently in. 

Procedures are outlined in the Military Separations, COMDTINST M1000.4, Article 1.A.3.

Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF) Click Here to Download MS Word viewer MS Word Click Here to Download PowerPoint viewer PowerPoint
Last Modified 1/12/2016