U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center
Latest Pay Rates and Benefits
Links to pay charts and information about your military pay entitlements and benefits.
Pay (Basic & Drill)
On November 25, 2015, President Obama signed the 2016 National Defense Authorization Act into law. All uniformed service members will see a 1.3 percent pay raise effective January 1, 2016 except for commissioned officers in pay grades O-7 through O-10. The General and Flag level Servicemembers will continue to have their pay frozen at 2014 levels, and capped at the rate of pay for level II of the Executive Schedule in effect during 2014.
- Career Sea Pay (Note: These tables expire on 31 December 2016. See "Coast Guard Announces New Career Sea Pay Rates for 2017" for the 2017, five-level tables.). Also see ALCOAST 474/125; Change to Career Sea Pay (CSP) Tables for implementation guidance.
- Career Sea Pay Premium (CSEAPAY PREM). The monthly rate of CSEAPAY PREM is $100. See Career Sea Pay Premium Start Date Calculator for more information.
ALCOAST 346/15 announces several new bonus programs for multiple rates along with waivers of certain eligibility requirements.
- Selected Reserve (SELRES) Bonuses:
Per ALCOAST 020/16, effective with the beginning of Calendar Year (CY) 2016, the following SELRES bonuses and special pays remain suspended:
- SELRES new enlistment.
- SELRES prior service enlistment.
- SELRES affiliation.
- SELRES re-enlistment.
- SELRES physician assistant.
- Health Professional Student Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP).
- High Priority Unit (HPU) pay.
- Diving Duty Pay. Special pay for diving duty is payable to members who qualify and who are issued orders for duty involving diving under the provisions of Coast Guard Diving Policies and Procedures Manual, COMDTINST M3150.1 (series). These members are entitled to receive this special pay, provided they maintain their status as qualified divers.
|Classifications ||Monthly Rate|
|Ship Salvage Diving Officer/Basic Dive Officer (SSDO) ||$240.00|
|Diver Second Class (DV-2) ||$165.00|
|Officer with SCUBA training only(DV) ||$165.00|
|Officer performing diving duty at school under instructions in a course above "Diver Second Class" (DUI) ||$150.00|
|Master Diver (MDV) ||$340.00|
|Diver First Class (DV-1) ||$215.00|
|Diver Second Class (DV-2) ||$150.00|
|SCUBA Diver (DV) ||$150.00|
|Medical deep-sea diving technician (DV-M) ||$215.00|
|Enlisted member performing diving duty under instruction unless entitled to higher rate (DUI) ||150.00|
- Foreign Language Proficiency Pay (FLPP)
Effective 01 October 2011, the monthly rates for Foreign Language Proficiency Pay (FLPP) increased and the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) score levels for which FLPP is paid expanded. The new rates and FLPP levels are as follows:
|SKILL ||LEVEL ||DLPT SCORE ||FLPP MONTHLY RATE|
|INTERPRETER||1 || 1+/1+ ||$100|
|INTERPRETER||2 || 1+/2 OR 2/1 + ||$125|
|INTERPRETER||3 || 2/2 OR 2+/2 OR 2/2+ ||$150|
|INTERPRETER||4 || 3/2 OR 2/3 OR 2 +/2+ ||$200|
|LINGUIST ||1 || 3/2+ OR 2+/3 ||$250|
|LINGUIST ||2 || 3/3 OR HIGHER ||$300|
Please see ALCOAST 456/11 for more information.
- Hardship Duty Pay.
- Hardship Duty Pay for Mission Assignment (HDP-M). The Coast Guard does not presently utilize HDP-M at any duty location.
- Hardship Duty Location Pay for Designated Areas (HDP-L(DA)). HDP-L(DA) is payable at $50, $100 or $150, payable to both officer and enlisted members under the conditions set forth in CG Pay Manual, COMDTINST M7220.29(series), Figure 4-1, when assigned to duty in the locations designated in DoD Financial Management Regulation, 7000.14-R, Volume 7A, Chapter 17, Figure 17-1.
- Physician Assistants Board Certified Pay.Officers of the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Reserve on Active Duty for Training (ADT) or active duty for another purpose, who are designated by Commandant (CG-112) as Physician Assistants are entitled to Board Certified Pay for Physician Assistants in equal monthly amounts when entitled to Basic Pay.
|Monthly rates based on creditable service as a physician assistant:
|Less than 10 years||$166.66
|10 years or more but less than 12 years||$208.33|
|12 years or more but less than 14 years||$250.00|
|14 years or more but less than 18 years||$333.33|
|18 or more years||$416.66|
- Reserve High Priority Unit Pay. Per ALCOAST 020/16, High Priority Unit Pay is suspended for 2016.
- Responsibility Pay. Responsibility Pay is authorized for commanding officers of Coast Guard vessels. Responsibility Pay is paid at the following monthly rates:
|Pay Grade||Rate of Pay|
|LCDR (O4)and below|| $50.00|
|CDR (O5)|| $100.00|
|CAPT (O6)|| $150.00|
- Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP).
- Special Pay - Duty Subject to Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger: : $225 per month (See DoD Financial Management Regulation, 7000.14-R, Volume 7A, Chapter 10, Figure 10-1 for locations).
Note: On 1 January 2012 Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay changed from a monthly entitlement to a prorated day-for-day entitlement. Members who performed qualifying service in designated areas prior to this change are entitled to the full monthly amount, $225, for service during any part of a month (i.e. 1 day in a designated area = $225). Members who perform qualifying service for less than a full month, on after 1 January 2012, will receive a daily prorated amount (i.e. 1 day in a designated area = $7.50).
- Aviation Career Incentive Pay (ACIP)
|Monthly ACIP Rates|
Years of Aviation Service (including flight training) as an Officer|
|2 or less||$125|
- Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (Crew and Non Crew Flight Pay)
- Non-crew Members (Officer and Enlisted): $150.00
- Crew Member Flying Incentive Pay:
|Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
||Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
||Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
|0-6||250.00|| || ||E-5||190.00
|0-5||250.00|| || ||E-4||165.00
|0-4||225.00|| || ||E-3||150.00
|0-3||175.00|| || ||E-2||150.00
|0-2||150.00|| || ||E-1||150.00
|0-1||150.00|| || ||
- Flight Deck Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (FDHDIP): Officer & Enlisted - $150.00 (monthly amount)
- High-Pressure Chamber Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (HDIP): Officer and Enlisted - $150.00 (monthly amount)
- Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay for Visit, Board, Search and Seizure Boarding Teams (HDIP-VBSS): $150.00 (monthly amount)
- Career Status Bonus (CSB): $30,000 Click for more information!.
Military Leave and Special Leave Accrual Program Update (ALCOAST 434/14)
- Combat Tax Exclusion (DOD PAYMAN, Chap 44, Par 440103.A - Combat Zone Defined and Figure 44-2 Combat Zone Tax Relief Areas)
For an officer (O-1 and above), the amount of the maximum Combat Tax Exclusion in effect for a qualifying month equals the sum of the highest rate of enlisted basic pay payable (For 2015 this amount is $7,894.50) and the amount of hostile fire/imminent danger pay actually payable to the officer for the qualifying month ($225.00).
- Federal Income Tax Withholding (FITW): Please see IRS Notice 1036, Copies of the 2016 Percentage Method Tables for Income Tax Withholding for current FITW rates (Refer to Table 4, Monthly Payroll Period).
- FICA: For 2016, the wage base for withholding social security
(old age, survivors, and disability insurance) is $118,500.
There is no wage base limit for Medicare (hospital
insurance). For social security, the tax rate is 6.2%
each for employers and employees. For Medicare, the
rate is 1.45% each for employers and employees.
- State Tax Withholding Changes: