U. S. Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center
Latest Pay Rates and Benefits
Links to pay charts and information about your military pay entitlements and benefits.
Pay (Basic & Drill)
- BAH/Housing Allowances:
- Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)
- Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)
- Critical Housing Areas
2014 Annual Review of Critical Housing Areas (ALCGPSC 001/14)
- Abbeville, LA (Zip Code 70511)
- Buxton/Hatteras, NC (Zip Code 27943)
- Brownsville, TX (MHA TX 281)
- Coastal Maine (MHA ME141) with the exception of Zip Code 04679
- Demopolis, AL (Zip Code 36732)
- Greenville, MS (zip code 38701)
Effective 20 March 2014 per ALCGPSC 049/14
- Keokuk, IA (Zip Code 52632)
- Montauk, NY (Zip Code 11954)
- Port OConnor, TX (Zip Code 77982)
- Station Menemsha, MA (MHA MA151)
- Station Yankeetown, FL (Zip Code 34498)
- Station Provincetown, MA (Zip Code 02657)
- Venice, LA (Zip Code 70091)
- Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS). Effective 1 Jan 2014 monthly rates:
- Officers: $246.24
- Enlisted: $357.55
- Enlisted Daily Discount Meal Rate (BAS-DMR) deduction: $10.15 per day.
2014 Food Service Meal Rates:
|Meal||Discount Meal Rate||Standard Meal Rate|
- Clothing and Uniform Allowances
- Cost of Living Allowance (COLA)
- Overseas Cost of Living Allowances (COLA): The Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) is a non-taxable allowance designed to offset the higher overseas prices of non-housing goods and services. It affects approximately 250,000 Service members at 600 locations overseas, including Alaska and Hawaii. Approximately $2 billion is paid in Overseas Cost of Living Allowances annually.
To calculate the amount of Overseas COLA that will be paid for a specific location by rank and number of years of service visit the Overseas COLA Calculator.
- CONUS Cost of Living Allowance (COLA): CONUS COLA compensates for a portion of excess non-housing costs incurred by uniformed Service members in CONUS locations, where non-housing costs are at least 8 percent above the CONUS average. CONUS COLA varies by pay grade, years of service (YOS), and whether or not the member has dependents. For example, for calendar year 2010, at a location with 1 percent CONUS COLA, an E-6 with dependents and 10 YOS would receive $32/month; an O-3 with dependents and 10 YOS would receive $40/month.
To calculate the amount of CONUS COLA that will be paid for a specific location by rank and number of years of service visit the CONUS COLA Calculator.
- Family Separation Allowance (FSA). Effective October 1, 2002, FSA is payable in a monthly amount of $250.
- Career Sea Pay
- Career Sea Pay Premium (CSEAPAY PREM). The monthly rate of CSEAPAY PREM is $100. See Career Sea Pay Premium Start Date Calculator for more information.
- Bonuses. (Ref. ALCOAST 162/14)
- Enlistment Bonus (EB): No Enlistment Bonus is offered at this time.
- Selective Reenlistment Bonus (SRB). No Selective Reenlistment Bonus is
offered at this time for any rating.
- Critical Skills Training Bonus (CSTB): No CSTB is offered at this time.
- Critical Skills Retention Bonus (CSRB): No CSRB is offered at this time.
- Selected Reserve (SELRES) Bonuses:
Per ALCOAST 011/14, effective with the beginning of Calendar Year (CY) 2014, the following SELRES bonuses and special pays are suspended:
- SELRES new enlistment.
- SELRES prior service enlistment.
- SELRES affiliation.
- SELRES re-enlistment.
- SELRES physician assistant.
- Health Professional Student Loan Repayment Program (HPLRP).
- High Priority Unit (HPU) pay.
See U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Bonus Programs, for more information.
- Diving Duty Pay. Special pay for diving duty is payable to members who qualify and who are issued orders for duty involving diving under the provisions of Coast Guard Diving Policies and Procedures Manual, COMDTINST M3150.1 (series). These members are entitled to receive this special pay, provided they maintain their status as qualified divers.
|Classifications ||Monthly Rate|
|Ship Salvage Diving Officer/Basic Dive Officer (SSDO) ||$240.00|
|Diver Second Class (DV-2) ||$165.00|
|Officer with SCUBA training only(DV) ||$165.00|
|Officer performing diving duty at school under instructions in a course above "Diver Second Class" (DUI) ||$150.00|
|Master Diver (MDV) ||$340.00|
|Diver First Class (DV-1) ||$215.00|
|Diver Second Class (DV-2) ||$150.00|
|SCUBA Diver (DV) ||$150.00|
|Medical deep-sea diving technician (DV-M) ||$215.00|
|Enlisted member performing diving duty under instruction unless entitled to higher rate (DUI) ||150.00|
- Foreign Language Proficiency Pay (FLPP)
Effective 01 October 2011, the monthly rates for Foreign Language Proficiency Pay (FLPP) increased and the Defense Language Proficiency Test (DLPT) score levels for which FLPP is paid expanded. The new rates and FLPP levels are as follows:
|SKILL ||LEVEL ||DLPT SCORE ||FLPP MONTHLY RATE|
|INTERPRETER||1 || 1+/1+ ||$100|
|INTERPRETER||2 || 1+/2 OR 2/1 + ||$125|
|INTERPRETER||3 || 2/2 OR 2+/2 OR 2/2+ ||$150|
|INTERPRETER||4 || 3/2 OR 2/3 OR 2 +/2+ ||$200|
|LINGUIST ||1 || 3/2+ OR 2+/3 ||$250|
|LINGUIST ||2 || 3/3 OR HIGHER ||$300|
Please see ALCOAST 456/11 and E-Mail ALSPO F/12 for more information.
- Hardship Duty Pay.
- Hardship Duty Pay for Mission Assignment (HDP-M). The Coast Guard does not presently utilize HDP-M at any duty location.
- Hardship Duty Location Pay for Designated Areas (HDP-L(DA)). HDP-L(DA) is payable at $50, $100 or $150, payable to both officer and enlisted members under the conditions set forth in CG Pay Manual, COMDTINST M7220.29(series), Figure 4-1, when assigned to duty in the locations designated in DoD Financial Management Regulation, 7000.14-R, Volume 7A, Chapter 17, Figure 17-1.
- Physician Assistants Board Certified Pay.Officers of the Coast Guard or Coast Guard Reserve on Active Duty for Training (ADT) or active duty for another purpose, who are designated by Commandant (CG-112) as Physician Assistants are entitled to Board Certified Pay for Physician Assistants in equal monthly amounts when entitled to Basic Pay.
|Monthly rates based on creditable service as a physician assistant:
|Less than 10 years||$166.66
|10 years or more but less than 12 years||$208.33|
|12 years or more but less than 14 years||$250.00|
|14 years or more but less than 18 years||$333.33|
|18 or more years||$416.66|
- Reserve High Priority Unit Pay. Per ALCOAST 232/12 (Para. 10), High Priority Unit Pay is $30 per IDT drill for enlisted reservists assigned to a PSU or a MSRON.
- Responsibility Pay. Responsibility Pay is authorized for commanding officers of Coast Guard vessels. Responsibility Pay is paid at the following monthly rates:
|Pay Grade||Rate of Pay|
|LCDR (O4)and below|| $50.00|
|CDR (O5)|| $100.00|
|CAPT (O6)|| $150.00|
- Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP).
- Special Pay - Duty Subject to Hostile Fire or Imminent Danger: : $225 per month (See DoD Financial Management Regulation, 7000.14-R, Volume 7A, Chapter 10, Figure 10-1 for locations).
Note: On 1 January 2012 Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay changed from a monthly entitlement to a prorated day-for-day entitlement. Members who performed qualifying service in designated areas prior to this change are entitled to the full monthly amount, $225, for service during any part of a month (i.e. 1 day in a designated area = $225). Members who perform qualifying service for less than a full month, on after 1 January 2012, will receive a daily prorated amount (i.e. 1 day in a designated area = $7.50).
- Aviation Career Incentive Pay (ACIP)
|Monthly ACIP Rates|
Years of Aviation Service (including flight training) as an Officer|
|2 or less||$125|
- Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (Crew and Non Crew Flight Pay)
- Non-crew Members (Officer and Enlisted): $150.00
- Crew Member Flying Incentive Pay:
|Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
||Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
||Pay Grade||Monthly Amount
|0-6||250.00|| || ||E-5||190.00
|0-5||250.00|| || ||E-4||165.00
|0-4||225.00|| || ||E-3||150.00
|0-3||175.00|| || ||E-2||150.00
|0-2||150.00|| || ||E-1||150.00
|0-1||150.00|| || ||
- Flight Deck Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (FDHDIP): Officer & Enlisted - $150.00 (monthly amount)
- High-Pressure Chamber Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay (HDIP): Officer and Enlisted - $150.00 (monthly amount)
- Hazardous Duty Incentive Pay for Visit, Board, Search and Seizure Boarding Teams (HDIP-VBSS): $150.00 (monthly amount)
- Career Status Bonus (CSB): $30,000 Click for more information!.
- Combat Tax Exclusion (DOD PAYMAN, Chap 44, Par 440103.A - Combat Zone Defined and Figure 44-2 Combat Zone Tax Relief Areas)
For an officer (O-1 and above), the amount of the maximum Combat Tax Exclusion in effect for a qualifying month equals the sum of the highest rate of enlisted basic pay payable and the amount of hostile fire/imminent danger pay actually payable to the officer for the qualifying month ($225.00).
- Federal Income Tax Withholding (FITW): Please see IRS Notice 1036, Copies of the 2014 Percentage Method Tables for Income Tax Withholding for current FITW rates (Refer to Table 4, Monthly Payroll Period).
- FICA: For 2014, the wage base for withholding social security
(old age, survivors, and disability insurance) is $117,000.
There is no wage base limit for Medicare (hospital
insurance). For social security, the tax rate is 6.2%
each for employers and employees. For Medicare, the
rate is 1.45% each for employers and employees.
- State Tax Withholding Changes: