U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 94/WAL 518


YEAR BUILT: 1911

BUILT AT: Muskegon (MI)

BUILDER: Racine-Truscott-Shell Lake Boat Co

APPROPRIATION:?

CONTRACT PRICE: $104,604

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilot/chart house forward, wood radio house aft; 2'6" dia lantern mast forward, conventional mast aft (unlighted; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'9" (loa); BEAM: 29'0"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 660 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 380 IHP max; 2 Scotch boilers i0'6" dia x 114" long, 110 psi; 4 bladed propeller 8'0" dia; during trials made 9.9 knots - also rigged for sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 6'6" dia lantern housing a 4th order lens carried on a compound pendulum mounted in gimbals; 2900 cp IOV lamp, 68' above water level

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; submarine bell; hand operated bell

CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
When built, reported as the "most highly developed" lightship in the fleet-
1911: Equipped with radio and submarine bell when placed in service-
1920: Incandescent Oil Vapor illuminant changed to acetylene-
1928: Equipped with radiobeacon
1930: Illuminating apparatus changed to duplex 375mm electric lens lantern on foremast, 13,200 CP; fog signal changed to air siren-
1932: Fog signal changed back to steam whistle-
1933: Fog signal changed to steam diaphragm horn-
1936: Repowered with Atlas Imperial 375 HF main engine, 6'4" propeller-
1945: Fitted with detection radar, later removed-
1948: USCG lists vessel with triplex air diaphragm horn; other characteristics in line with above-
Radio and visual call sign NMGM (1940-1954)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1911-1930: Frying Pan Shoal (NC)
1930-1954: Savannah (GA)

(1930 Jul 16, Frying Pan position moved 14 mi SE to extremity of 10 fathom curve)
(1942-1945 During WWII remained assigned to Savannah station; no armament provided)

HISTORICAL NOTES:
1913: Apr 10, parted chain and drifted; steering gear disabled; picked up and towed to Southport NC by SS GENERAL GETTY; returned to station Apr 12-
1915: Apr 2, during severe storm, parted chain and drifted SE; let go spare anchor but dragged; throughout night, made periodic radio broadcasts that ship was off station; next day hoisted "QE" flag signal (lightship off station) and attempted to steam to station but unable to make headway so anchored; when storm abated, regained station Apr 4-
1911: Meteorological equipment supplied by arrangement with USN and Weather Bureau for reporting weather observations twice daily by radio

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1954; AGE: 43

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Dec 15, 1954; sold Nov 16, 1955

COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 94 / WAL 518
1919-1921: Joseph P Francis, Mate
1921-1924: Frank C Girardeau, Mate
1924: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1924-1925: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1925-1927: Hugh 0 Wiggins, Mate
1927-1928: Chester H Taylor, Mate
1927-1934?: Hugh O. Wiggins, Master**
1928-1929: Andrew J Pollard, Mate
1934-?: John L. McKevlin, Mate**
1934-1939: J. H. Hayensworth, Master**
1936-1937: Oscar D Nelson, Mate
1939: Thomas B Christiansen, Master
1939-?: Gavin L Field, Master

**Research by Theresa Roberts


 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012