U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 87/WAL 512


YEAR BUILT: 1907

BUILT AT: Camden (NJ)

BUILDER: New York Shipbuilding Co

APPROPRIATION: $115,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $99,000

SISTER VESSELS: LV 84,85,86,88

DESIGN: Steam screw; steel hull, wood pilothouse and deckhouses; 2 steel masts, wood spencer on main only; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 135'5" (loa); BEAM: 29'O"; DRAFT: 12'9"; TONNAGE: 683 displ

PROPULSION: Steam - one compound reciprocating engine, 16" and 31" bores x 24" stroke, 325 IHP; 2 boilers 9'3" dia x 16'4" long; propeller 7'9" dia; design max speed 10 knots; also rigged for sail initially

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Cluster of 3 oil lens lanterns raised to each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam chime whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
-
1908/09: Oil lens lanterns replaced with electric incandescent-
-Converted from incandescent to arc lights several times during the period 1909-1922; incandescent thereafter; two 375mm lens lanterns of -15,000 cp
-1918: Equipped with radio-
-1921: May, radiobeacon installed; first radio beacon in the US, however Fire Island lightship and Sea Girt Light were similarly equipped and placed in operation about the same time-
-1924: Equipped with vacuum tube radiobeacon; first such transmitter to be used in the US-
-1932/33: Taken out of service Oct 10, 1932 for extensive overhaul and refitting; repowered with 300 HP Winton diesel, 5' dia propeller; fog signal to air typhon plus 10" air whistle; all steam auxiliary equipment replaced with diesel-
-1934: Fog signal changed to air diaphone; 10" whistle retained (Call sign NIGI-
-1958: USCG shows 4 way diaphragm horn, TRSC-l radar, J-894 Loran. 1940-1966)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1908-1932: Ambrose Channel (NY)
1932-1936: Relief (NY)
1936-1942: Scotland (NJ)
1942-1944: Examination Vessel, WWII
1944-1947: Vineyard Sound (MA)
1947-1962: Scotland (NJ)


HISTORICAL NOTES:
1927: Feb 21, dragged 1/2 mi westerly from station in NE gale; replaced on station next day

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1966; AGE: 59

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Mar 4, 1966; donated Aug 4, 1968 for use as floating exhibit at South Street Seaport, New York City


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 87 / WAL 512

1908-1932: Gustave Lange, Master
1908-1914: Sidney Ellis, Mate
1914: Frank Tilghman, Mate
1914-1915: Clark Smith, Mate
1915-1918: Paul E F Overbeck, Mate
1918-?: Emil C Ness, Mate
1939-?: John Kruszewski, Master
1947-49: CWO John J. Gibbs, CO
1950-51: BMC Theodore Kosowski, OIC
1958: BMC Carrol D Nichols, OIC
1966: BMC John T Taylor, OIC


PHOTOGRAPHS:

Click here to view a photo of the LV-87.

Click here to view a photo of the LV-87 with the liner Olympic passing in the background, circa 1912.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/8/2013