U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 64


YEAR BUILT: 1893

BUILT AT: Wyandotte (MI)

BUILDER: Davis Boat and Oar Company

APPROPRIATION: $8,600
(Approp. Aug 5, 1892 for 3 small lightships, Detroit River)

CONTRACT PRICE: $993 ($2,980 for 3 vessels)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 63,65

DESIGN: Square ended wood scow; oak fastened with iron bolts and spikes; 12 ft tripod lantern structure on foredeck; deckhouse aft

LENGTH: 38' (loa); BEAM: 12'2'; DRAFT: 2'6"; TONNAGE: 16.7 gross

PROPULSION: None

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern with 3 oil lamps shown from 12 ft tripod

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

One of 3 small vessels "cheaply built" for "temporary" service in the Detroit River; built in part to eliminate proliferation of existing private aids, and in part to serve until "Congress makes arrangements for lighting this important channel"- 
Although differing somewhat in both measurements and details, all 3 vessels were built to the same design and specifications, and under the same contract-
1895: Extensively repaired following collision-
1898 Aug 29-Sep 7, repaired for collision damage-
1902: Sep, extensive repairs for collision damage

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1893-1910: Limekiln Crossing South

(Station discontinued by the US in 1910; responsibility for marking station assumed by Canadian government - see Historical Notes)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

During 1891/92 it was considered desirable for the Government to mark the NW and SW corners of the Limekiln Crossing (a narrow curved cut which had been constructed by the U.S. at great expense). Providing aids "under orders and discipline of the Lighthouse Establishment" would eliminate the need for a variety of private light floats and other private aids, and provide temporary, inexpensive service until Congress would approve permanent lighting arrangements for the Detroit River. Since the location was entirely in Canadian waters, permission was obtained from Canada to establish 2 lightship stations and 2 vessels were built for the purpose-
1893: Sep 15, placed on Limekiln Crossing South; painted white with black lettering-
Thereafter was withdrawn from station during the period the Lakes were closed to navigation, usually early Dec through Mar/Apr each year. Necessary repairs were performed during winter lay-up at Detroit-
1895: May, in collision with passing vessel; withdrawn for repair-
1898: Consumed 29 gals oil, 2 tons coal during the year-
1898: Jul/Aug, In collision 3 times with passing vessels; withdrawn for repair Aug 29, resumed station Sep 7

More notes: LV 64-
1899: Nov 23, struck and damaged by schooner THREE BROTHERS-
1901: Hull found to be rotten, but only "urgent" repairs were made-
1901: May 19, struck by Canadian barge under tow; kept station-
1902: Position occasionally shifted due to dredging operations in progress-
1902: Sep 1, rammed by down bound steamer; badly damaged; relieved by LV 63-
1910: Decommissioned by US; responsibility for the station was thereafter assumed by Canada. Former LV 64 became a Canadian lightship, operated and maintained by Canada until 1913 when replaced by lighted buoys

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1910; AGE: 17

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Decommissioned by U.S. in 1910, sold to Canada and became Canadian lightship, serving on same station until 1913


COMMANDING OFFICERS: LV 64

1895-1906: Conrad Christiansen, Master


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012