U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 52


YEAR BUILT: 1892

BUILT AT: West Bay City (MI)

APPROPRIATION: $70, 000

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $53,325 ($213,300 for 4 ships)

SISTER VESSELS: LV 51,53,54

DESIGN: Iron hull & fastenings; 2 masts with spencers, daymark on foremast; stack ahead of main; flush decked aft to mainmast; hawsepipe thru stem, aligned with centerline of vessel

LENGTH: 118'l0"(loa); BEAM: 266"; DRAFT: 12'0"; TONNAGE: 375 disp, 310 gross

PROPULSION: Steam screw- single compound condensing engine 14" & 24" bores x 16" stroke; 180 IEP; 2 Scotch boilers 8'dia x 9'lg, max speed 6 knots; coal capacity 52 tons; also rigged for sail carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps and reflectors

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam whistle; hand operated 1000-lb bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

-One of the first 4 lightships to have the hawsepipe through the stem and aligned with the centerline of the vessel
-Hauled for bottom painting annually for the first 5 years, thereafter approximately every 2 years. General repairs to hull, machinery and boilers were carried out as needed during these periods
-1899: New masts and spencers installed
-1906: Oct 24, submarine bell signal installed for test, in service May 29, 1907
-1912: Fog signal converted to air siren
-1916: Illuminant changed from oil to oil-gas
-1917: Illuminant changed to acetylene
-1919: Equipped with radio
-1923: Original lanterns and lantern houses removed; replaced with galleries and 500mm electric lens lanterns using special 150 watt lamps; rated at 5,500 c.p.

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1892-1930: Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
1930-1932: Relief 4th District (laid up 1931)

HISTORICAL NOTES:

1892: Sep 1, delivered to Wilmington (DE); fitted out and supplied with 70 tons coal, chandlery, tools and rations
1892: Dec 15, placed on Fenwick Island Shoal (DE)
1893: Wood stoves supplied to avoid using coal for heating crew spaces
1894: Aug 5-12, withdrawn for bottom painting and repair
1895: Aug 5-15, ditto
1896: Jul 13-?, off station for repairs
1897: Apr 12, parted chain in gale; steamed to Edgemoor Depot for replacement chain and anchor; steamed back to station May 10
1897: Jul 28-?, off station for painting and repair
1899: Sep 28-Nov 22, relieved (by LV 16) for replacement of both masts, and overhaul of boilers and machinery
1900: Mar 22, fog signal characteristic changed to give 8 sec blasts separated by alternating silent intervals of 32 and 72 seconds
1901: Jul 2-Aug 23, relieved (by LV 11) for hull and machinery repairs
1903: Jul 20-Sep 3, relieved (by LV 16) for general repairs
1906: Sep 19-Oct 24, relieved (by LV 16) for repairs
1906: Oct 24, submarine bell signal installed for test and evaluation

More notes:

1907: May 29, submarine bell signal placed in regular operation
1918: Jun 4, Master and 2 seamen launched boat and assisted disabled airplane
1923: Sep, electrified using 500mm lens lanterns and special 150 watt lamp
1928: Sep 18/19, rode out hurricane with 2 days of violent cross seas; ship was reported to have worked severely, but no serious leaks and remained on station
1930: Withdrawn and assigned Relief duty
1931: Laid up

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1931; AGE: 39

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold 1932


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1888-1893: Arthur M Hudson, Keeper
1893-1917: Arthur M Hudson, Master
?- 1914: John B Johnson, Mate
1914-1915: Alexander Anderson, Mate
1916-1917: Gus Montague, Mate
1917-1926: Alexander Anderson, Master
1917: Benjamin L. Harris, Mate
1917: Charles E O'Neil, Mate
1917-1920: George K Rollinson, Mate
1920- 1921: John O. Callis, Mate
1921-1925: Robert A Dixon, Mate
1925-1926: Richard J Spencer, Mate
1926-1930: Richard J Spencer, Master
1926-1927: Samuel F Dowdy, Mate
1927-1929: Thomas S Simmons, Mate
1929-1930: Robert E Tillette, Mate

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012