U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 50

Print photo of the LV-50

A print image scanned from the U.S. Lighthouse Service's List of Lights and Fog Signals
on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States
[;] Corrected to June 30, 1906, Plate VI.
(Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1906).


YEAR BUILT: 1892

BUILT AT: San Francisco (CA)

BUILDER: Union Iron Works

APPROPRIATION: $70, 000

CONTRACT PRICE: $61,150

SISTER VESSELS: LV 47,48,49

DESIGN: Composite-steel frame planked with Puget Sound pine, sheathed with white oak; fastened with galvanized iron bolts; 2 masts with lattice daymarks; stack ahead of mainmast; 2 aux. boilers 6'6"dia x 7'3"lg; steam pumps & windlass

LENGTH: 120'l0"(loa); BEAM: 269"; DRAFT: 113"; TONNAGE: 470 displ

PROPULSION: Sail-schooner rig, fore and main carried on spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 lanterns, each with 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: 12" steam whistle; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1894: Aug 22-Sep 5, "thoroughly repaired" at Astoria (OR)
1897: Boilers retubed on station
1897: Sep 9-Jun 25, extensive hull repairs at Astoria
1899: May 6-Jun 13, boiler and machinery repairs
1901: Mar-Aug 18, relaunching and comprehensive repairs to hull, boilers and machinery following the grounding on Nov 29, 1899 - $31,095
1902: May 26-Jun 4, repaired and resupplied
1905: Jan 7-Mar 2, routine repair and refit
1905: Oct 6 - Oct 9 1906, off station for extensive repairs after second grounding; completion prolonged by contractual difficulties

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1892-1909: Columbia River (OR)
1909-1915: Unassigned -- laid up at Astoria (OF)

(1892 Jul 6, position moved 3 mi SE)
(1897-1898 Off station for extensive repairs: station marked by LV 67)
(1899-1901 Off station undergoing major repairs after being blown ashore; station marked by Black/White can buoy during this period)
(1905-1906 Off station for major repairs following second grounding; station marked temporarily by LV 67, diverted from Umatilla Reef)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1892: Mar 26, launched at Potrero, San Francisco; fitted out and towed to Astoria (OR) Apr 2-5 by tender MADRONO
1892: Apr 11, placed on Columbia River station by tender MANZANITA
1892: Jul 6, position moved 3 mi SE
1894: Aug 22-Sep 5, withdrawn for repair; station marked by mooring buoy
1897: Sep 9-Jan 5 1898, relieved (by LV 67) for repairs
1899: May 6-Jun 13, withdrawn for repair; replaced by mooring buoy
1899: Nov 29, broke adrift in 74 mph gale, stood offshore under sail; later while attempts were made to tow, went aground on beach easterly of Cape Disappointment Light; replaced by black & white can buoy. Remained stranded on beach for 16 months during unsuccessful attempts to refloat. Marine railway was built and ship jacked onto a cradle, hauled 700 yards overland and relaunched into Bakers Bay (WA) at cost of $17,500. Hull repaired at Bakers Bay ($12,135), then towed to Portland (OR) for boiler & machinery repairs ($1,460). Repairs complete Aug 1901; resupplied and replaced on station Aug 18, 1901
1902: May 26-Jun 4, withdrawn for repair; replaced by fixed white lighted buoy lettered "light vessel moorings"
1905: Jan 7-Mar 2, off station for repair
1905: Oct 6, parted chain in SE gale, grounding on beach 1/4 mi ENE of Cape Disappointment Light. Refloated Oct 16; towed to Tongue Point Depot for hull repairs. Procedural problems with bids and funding caused long delays. Funds
for constructing a new lightship, plus supplementary funds were used and vessel resumed station Oct 9, 1906. (LV 67 had manned the station during most of this period.
1907: Mar 4, appropriation approved for new steam driven replacement vessel
1907: May 9-May 13 broke adrift; towed in by tug; resupplied and returned
1909: Withdrawn and laid up at Astoria (OR) pending further disposition
1915: Surveyed and condemned

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1909; AGE: 17

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold at public auction Apr 27, 1915 - $1,667.99
Later used as freighter and laid up in Alaska 1925, Said to have been still later registered as SAN COSMO & MARGARET until 1935.


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1898-?: Joseph H. Harriman, Master


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 2/29/2012