U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 28


YEAR BUILT: 1864

BUILT AT: Norfolk (VA)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: ?

CONTRACT PRICE: $16,000

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood framed & planked, 2 masts, black hoop-iron daymark on mainmast only

LENGTH: 82' (lbp), BEAM: 22', DRAFT: 9', TONNAGE: 83 gross

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: Single lantern having 8 oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1880/81: Rebuilt at New Orleans; light changed to red-
1882: Light list states Straw color with black lettering; showing a single red light 48 feet above water, visible 12 1/4 miles-
1888: Rebuilt and enlarged to 101 tons gross - no particulars given-
1892: New lamps with reflectors installed-
1895: New 22 ft "square stern sailboat supplied"-
1898: May, major hull repairs-
1903: May 22, hauled and repaired-
1904: May 18, "now being repaired"

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1864-1868: Bowlers Rock (VA)
1868-1869: Relief (5th District)
1870-1906: Galveston (TX)
(1894: Position moved 1 1/4 mi eastward)
(Galveston station discontinued Apr23, 1906 )
(Prior to 1867 when No. 28 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Bowlers Rock Light Vessel")


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1864: Placed on Bowlers Rock (VA), (withdrawn when station discontinued 1868)-
1868/69: Relief duty (5th District)-
1869: Dec 20, towed to New Orleans (LA) by tender GERANIUM arriving Jan 11,1870: both vessels then received "some repairs"-
1870: Placed on Galveston (TX), replacing lightship called "Galveston" at that time, but later referred to as "XX"-
1892: Replaced by can buoy while being repaired-
1892: Sep 25, damaged by fire caused by defective lamp-
1894: Position moved 1 1/4 mi eastward so that lightship fog signal would be nearer the end of the jetties''-
1898: May-Sep, withdrawn when submarine mines were laid across Galveston Harbor entrance during Spanish-American War-
1900: Sep, parted chain during hurricane, driven into Galveston Bay and anchored; "sustained severe injury"-
1906: Apr 23, withdrawn: station discontinued-
1907: "Laid up at Galveston with a master and cook aboard"-
1910: Out of commission - "not used as an aid to navigation"

More notes:


RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1906 AGE: 42

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: 

Sold May 22, 1911


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1881-1893: Martin Stocker, Asat Keeper
1893-1899: Martin Stocker, Master
1905-1907: Theodore Colson, Master



A photo of LV 28

"GALVESTON LIGHT-VESSEL, NO. 28, TEX."  Scanned from the 1901 Light List, Plate XXX.  Photographer unknown, no date listed (circa 1900).

Office of the Lighthouse Board. List of Lights and Fog Signals on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts of the United States. Corrected to June 30, 1901. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1901.


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 2/29/2012