U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 19


YEAR BUILT: 1845

BUILT AT: New York (NY)

BUILDER: Henry Eckford

APPROPRIATION: $20,000 (Approp. Mar 3, 1823 "for 2 lt-vessels for Delaware Bay")

CONTRACT PRICE: ?

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood - white oak framed and planked; double ended hull with bowsprit; 2 masts, oval daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 85' (lbp), BEAM: 25', DRAFT: 9', TONNAGE: 150 (enlarged twice)

PROPULSION: Sail

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 1 lamp, 12 cylindrical wicks

FOG SIGNAL: 900 lb-bell, hand operated


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

Records are not conclusive on early history of this vessel. It appears that she may have been first built at 120 tons as lightship "X" in 1823; rebuilt and enlarged to 130 tons in 1845 which was very probably a rebuild of lightship "X"; then rebuilt in 1854, and again rebuilt and enlarged to 150 tons in 1876 at Wilmington DE at a cost of $11,000-
1848: Second lamp added with 12 cylindrical wicks-
1868: Lamps converted to reflector type-
Extensive repairs 1860,1863, 1868

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1845-1875: Cross Ledge (Upper Middle) (DE); Relief
1872-Relief, Brenton Reef
1876-1886: Fourteen Foot Bank (DE)
1886-1894: Ram Island Reef (CT)
1894-1900: Relief (CT)

(Prior to 1867 when No. 19 was assigned, official records identify this vessel as "Upper Middle", "Upper Middle No. 2", and/or "Cross Ledge")
Referred to as Relief No. 19 in 1872 USLHS Annual Report (p. 28)
(Cross Ledge station discontinued Dec 8, 1875)
(Fourteen Foot Bank station established Aug 22, 1876)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1872: Served as relief on Brenton Reef while Brenton Reef Lightship LV-11 was repaired.
1875: Dec 9, Withdrawn from Cross Ledge; station discontinued when Cross Ledge Lighthouse activated-
1875: Oct 29, Mate and 2 crewmembers drowned during passage in liberty boat from Little Creek Landing (DE) to the lightship-
1875: During service in Delaware Bay, nearly every winter moving ice caused
LV 19 to be either driven off or withdrawn from station for several months at a time - "such absence of light is a great Injury to commerce"-
1876: Aug 22, reassigned and placed on Fourteen Foot Bank (DE)
1886: Dec 1, removed from Fourteen Foot Bank, transferred to 3d District-
1886: Dec "9 stationed on Ram Island Reef (CT)-
1894: Dec 8, "permanently" removed from Ram Island Reef & assigned Relief status-
1895 "Rotten" and "weak and worn in every part"; "unfit for economic 1 repair-
1896, 97: "occupies needed space" and "only in the way" at New London dock

More notes

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1894 AGE: 49?

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:

Turned over to Navy Department Oct 31 1900 for use as target ship


COMMANDING OFFICERS:

1893-1895: Nicolas Nelson, Mate


Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 7/15/2013