U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


 

LIGHTSHIP LV 115 / WAL 537


YEAR BUILT: 1930

BUILT AT: Charleston (SC)

APPROPRIATION: ?

BUILDER: Charleston Drydock & Machine Co

CONTRACT PRICE: $274,434

SISTER VESSELS: LV 100, 113, 114, 116, 117

DESIGN: Diesel-electric propelled; steel hull; steel deckhouses; 2 masts with lantern galleries; smokestack amidships

LENGTH: 133' 3' (loa); BEAM: 30' 0"; DRAFT: 13' 8"; TONNAGE: 630 displ.

PROPULSION: Diesel-electric - one 350 HP electric motor driven by any or all of four 75 KW Diesel engine/generator units; 350 SEP @ 300 RPM; max speed 10 knots, average 9 knots

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 375mm electric lens lantern at each masthead

FOG SIGNAL: Electric diaphragm born using mushroom trumpet; hand operated bell


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:
Equipped with radio, radiobeacon and submarine bell when built-
1945: Fitted with detection radar-
Radio and visual call sign NMJC (1940-1965)

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:
1930-1942: Frying Pan Shoals (NC)
1942-1945: Examination Vessel, WWII
1945-1964: Frying Pan Shoals (NC)
1964-1965: Relief (4th District, Cape May NJ)

(During WWII - 1942-1944 assigned to 15th District stationed at Cristobal. (CZ) and used as an examination vessel. Classed as a "YN" - net tender, during this period. 1944-45 assigned to 6th District stationed at Charleston SC and used as an examination vessel; no armament provided.)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

n/a

RETIRED FROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1965; AGE: 35

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION: Decommissioned Nov 4, 1965; donated Sep 5, 1967 for use as museum at Southport (NC), Sold 1984 and moved to Whitehaven MD on Wicomico Capsized and sunk 1986, raised 1987 and sold, then anchored near Deal Island MD. 1988 painted white, mainmast removed, original propulsion system replaced with small engine. Denied passage through Chesapeake & Delaware Canal due to inadequate power and poor overall condition. Towed back to Deal Island. Severely damaged during an engine-room fire in summer 1988.


COMMANDING OFFICERS: 
1939: Carl Lindberg, Mate


PHOTOGRAPHS:

LV-115 / WAL-537 departing Frying Pan Shoals after the commissioning of the new Texas Tower, 1964.  (click here for a 75 dpi image) ; (click here for a 300 dpi image);

Original photo caption: "SERVICE MODERNIZATION--New U.S. Coast Guard Frying Pan Shoals Offshore Light Tower, placed in operation on November 24, 1964, replaces famous old 133-ft. Lightship (WAL-537) which guarded the shoals 28 miles southeast of Cape Fear, N.C., since she was built in 1930.  The lightship circles the tower here, gives three farewell whistle blasts, and departs for Morehead City, N.C., to prepare for her new assignment at Cape May, N.J., as a Relief Lightship."; caption sheet is dated 4 January 1965; Photo No. #5CGD-11-25-64(01); photographer unknown.

 


 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012