U.S. Coast Guard Lightships

& Those of the U.S. Lighthouse Service


VESSEL DESIGNATION: LV 11


YEAR BUILT: 1853

BUILT AT: Baltimore (MD)

BUILDER: Tardy & Auld

APPROPRIATION: $15,000

CONTRACT PRICE: $13,462 (Approp. for a lightship "for Nantucket Shoals") 

SISTER VESSELS: None

DESIGN: Wood- white oak; copper & iron fastened; 2 masts with daymarks at both mastheads

LENGTH: 104'0" (lbp) BEAM: 24'8" DRAFT: 910" TONNAGE: 320 gross

PROPULSION: Sail- schooner rig; fore and main carried on Spencer masts

ILLUMINATING APPARATUS: 2 Lanterns, each having 8 constant level oil lamps

FOG SIGNAL: Hand operated 1050-lb bell, plus "horn and gong"


CONSTRUCTION NOTES - MODIFICATIONS - EQUIPMENT CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS:

1855: Rebuilt at New York Navy Yard $11,000 after being blown ashore-
1856: Lamps fitted with reflectors-
1865: Repairs after being driven on rocks; new false keel, part of main keel and bottom planks replaced, forefoot and rudder repaired recaulked and coppered, both masts repaired -$8,000-
1870: Standing rigging replaced with iron wire -$1,040-
1876: Rebuilt and rerigged, "frame and planking decayed" -$21,620.76-
1891 and 1905: repairs for collision damage-
1912: Illuminant changed from oil to oil-gas-
1919: Equipped with radio; discontinued 1922-
1920: Lanterns, lantern houses and spencer masts removed; equipped with lens lanterns capable of using either oil or acetylene

STATION ASSIGNMENTS:

1854-1855: Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)
1856-1897: Brenton Reef (RI)
1897-1902: Relief (3dDistrict)
1902-1925: Scotland (NJ)

(1901: Jul 3-Dec19, sent to 4th District for "temporary service as Relief ")
(Prior to 1867 when No.11 was assigned, official records identify this vessel by the name of the station on which it was serving)


HISTORICAL NOTES:

1854: Jun 15, placed on Nantucket New South Shoal (MA)-(first Nantucket lightship)-
1855: Feb, broke adrift and blown ashore at Montauk NY, salvaged & repaired-
1856: Placed on Brenton Reef (RI)-
1865: Oct 19, parted chain and blown ashore on rocks during westerly gale, reported "badly injured"-
1890: Nov 26, in collision with British steamer CURLEW-
1891: Nov 23, fog bell characteristic changed to ring 10 sec, silent 30 sec-
1897: Nov 4, Withdrawn (replaced by LV 39) and transferred to 3d District as Relief-
1901: Jun 30, towed to 4th District for "temporary service as Relief"-
1901: Dec 19, returned to 3d District, still in Relief status-
1902: Dec 2, placed on Scotland (NJ)-
1903: Mar 10, in collision with schooner-
1905: Mar 14, Apr 12,May 29, in collision with scows under tow-
1912: Apr 10, in collision with mud scows under tow

More notes: LV 11-

1925: Oct 30, when removed from Scotland station, was reported to be the oldest vessel (72 years) in the Lighthouse Service and possibly the oldest vessel in any U.S. Government agency at that time

RETIRED PROM LIGHTSHIP DUTY: 1925 AGE: 72

SUBSEQUENT DISPOSITION:

Sold 1927?


COMMANDING OFFICERS: 

1854-1855: Samuel D Bunker, Keeper
1886-1888: David H Caulkins, Keeper
1888-1893: Edward Fogarty, Keeper
1893-1898: Edward Fogarty, Master
1905-?: Thor Olsen, Mate
1916-1918: Emil C Ness, Mate
?-1916: John N Veseth, Mate
?-1917: Ernest W Borgstrom, Master
1918-1919: Uno Taplo, Mate
1918-1920: John Anderson, Mate
1920-1925: John N Veseth, Mate

 

 

 

 

 

 

Download Plug-Ins
Download Plug-Ins: Some of the links on this page require a plug-in to view them. Links to the plug-ins are available below.
Click Here to Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
Last Modified 1/26/2012